River Nene Swim - Thursday 21st May.

Fri, 1st May 2015 - 6:42 p.m.

During the last four summers we have swum 26.2 miles of the River Nene, with the flow, from Woodford to Wansford, in 13 bite-sized chunks of approximately 2-miles each on Thursday evenings. A great event in many respects: socially, for training and as an adventure & achievement. We'll be doing it again, once the river warms up this year.

Some members are competing in the River Nene and River Great Ouse on Sunday 10th May. We also have our Off-Road Triathlon on Monday 25th May, which this year is part of our Club Championships. So ... we need to get in there and acclimatise.

As an introduction, we will have a couple of swims in the River Nene this week.

The first river swim will be after the Middle Distance Triathlon on Monday 4th May.

The Mid-Distance Triathlon will be in Oundle Pool at 9:00am

The Nene Swim will be from Oundle Boat House - diagonally opposite from Gorilla Cycles - at around 12:00pm. Last year we had 25 swimmers and some were in for 50-minutes. We will swim upstream and back. Whether you make it to the roadbridge, the lock or wherever, you will be able to say you've done your first outdoor swim of the year.

If you're really keen, there is then the usual Monday night swim in Oundle Pool at 7:00pm. Wow - 3 swims in 1 day.

Next Thursday we will again be in the River Nene, this time at Wansford at 6:30pm.

Steve.

Fri, 1st May 2015 - 8:58 p.m.

We measured the river temperature last weekend and it was around 14C; not too bad if it stays that way. I think we measured 12.5C at last year's post Middle Distance swim.

Wed, 6th May 2015 - 9:32 p.m.

Hi when do you think the first leg of the river swim will take place this year?

Thu, 7th May 2015 - 11:09 p.m.

We had 10 in at Wansford tonight. It's still a bit nippy but some were in for over 35-minutes. Next Thursday will be another swim from Wansford at 6:30pm. We will have kayak cover this year for most of the swims thanks to Steve Mould. Once it warms up a bit more, we'll set a start date, but another two weeks at least.

Fri, 8th May 2015 - 5:14 p.m.

For each swim this year, you will be asked to sign in and out. Here is a copy of the Risk Assessment and general Waiver that will accompany the Sign-In.

http://racetriathlon.com/media/files/Pactrac_Nene_Swim_Risk_Assessment_and_Waiver_Form._3tCE0tC.docx

Fri, 8th May 2015 - 6:47 p.m.

Oops - sorry Steve, forgot to sign out again. And thanks to the other Steve again for his bringing along his kayak.

Sun, 10th May 2015 - 5:52 p.m.

Ok looking forward to them starting up! There's a few of us from Thrapston that are heading to wadenhoe on wed for half 6 if anyone wants to join us there more than welcome no kayak with us tho

Mon, 11th May 2015 - 9:11 a.m.

Wansford again this Thursday at 6:30pm. Park by The Haycock Hotel. We get in opposite The Haycock. Swim upstream first. We might make it to the lock this week. The River is warming up - either that or the acclimatisation is working!

Here is a GoogleMap. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.57847,-0.41405,17z

We get in where it says "Weak Bridge".

Mon, 11th May 2015 - 1:43 p.m.

Cheers Steve, I'm in this week. Technique on Wednesday, Open Water on Thursday....perfect :-)

Tue, 12th May 2015 - 6:30 p.m.

Hi Steve, my number in case anything changes last minute for Thursday. 07923 245935

Fri, 15th May 2015 - 12:29 p.m.

Thank you to our intrepid helpers this week, who actually outnumbered the swimmers, so all the more appreciated. The water felt slightly warmer than last week, or maybe Steve is right, and the acclimatisation is working. (Although my face was pretty cold and I couldn't speak properly after getting out!) However, not feeling too clever again today, for the second week in a row after swimming in the river. Hopefully it's just the cold, and hopefully just me. Can't make it next week. See you the week after.

Tue, 19th May 2015 - 2:05 p.m.

Wansford again this Thursday 21st May.
Meet at the Haycock again for 6:30pm this Thursday.

We started the Woodford to Wansford Nene Swim on 30-05-13 and 22-05-14 so it should be getting warm enough to start the Woodford leg soon, but not quite yet.