Woodford to Wansford Nene Swim 26.2 miles.

Tue, 26th May 2015 - 10:24 p.m.

Summer is here, and it's time to start the full Nene swim from Woodford to Wansford this Thursday 28th May. This is a great adventure, and has become an annual Pactrac tradition. You don't have to be a top swimmer to come along - we usually have the full range, all the way from breaststrokers to accomplished Ironman swimmers. Everyone is welcome. The faster swimmers either wait every now and then, or swim back.

We need to make a start, in order to reach Wansford by September. This is now the fifth year that we are doing a Pactrac Nene Swim Marathon. We start at Woodford and then make our way to Wansford, 26.2miles downstream, in thirteen bite-sized chunks, on Thursday evenings. If you are new to this and want to get an idea, have a look at previous years' Forums, e.g. http://pactrac.co.uk/forums/topic/490.

The first stage is this Thursday, 28th May, from Woodford to Denford. The route is on MapMyRun: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/96296057

We will get in just upstream of the village of Woodford and swim down to Denford. MapMyRun says it's 1.73miles, so that's a good distance to start with. This is a really pleaseant, open and rural stretch of the Nene. We will have our first lock to cross and will finish at the second lock. Denford is where the Nene Turtle was spotted four years ago. Maybe he'll be waiting for us again.

The plan is to meet at the finish, and then share cars to the start. That makes it easier for most people to get home after the swim. So we will meet in Denford at 6.15pm, near Meadow Lane which leads to the lock where we will finish this leg. Meadow Lane is in the centre of the village, across the road from the petrol station / pub on the Denford High Street, you can't miss it.

We will then take a few cars to drive to the start in Woodford. We will park at the end of Church Street; from Woodford's village green, take one of the narrow lanes to the bottom of the village and then turn right. Note there isn't much car parking space. From the end of Church Street there is a footpath; turn left just after the gate and you'll get to the river. We will start the swim at 6.30pm. If anyone is able to bring any designated drivers along, that would help a lot with the logistics.

If you are not confident to do the whole swim, you could come to the finish and swim upstream until you meet the others. Don't do this on your own (for safety), but there may be a few others interested - best to post on the Forum.

We will do a short briefing before the start and will need to sign in and out. This year, I am happy to say, we have Steve Mould as kayak safety cover, but of course everyone still participates at their own risk.

Can you also post on the Forum if you think that you might be late, or intend to do things slightly differently.

Wed, 27th May 2015 - 10:20 a.m.

Gutted, as i was hoping to do the full distance this year, but i'm away this week with work. I'll make the distance up later on :-)
Enjoy everyone, the weather looks good for it.

Wed, 27th May 2015 - 9:30 p.m.

Hi Steve - work permitting I will be at Denford.

Thu, 28th May 2015 - 3:08 p.m.

Hi Steve,hope to be there 6:15 ish.Not sure I want liz to take first dip in river.what do you think as don't know this stretch.
Regards
Sean.

Sat, 30th May 2015 - 12:26 a.m.

Sorry - work didn't permit. Hope you all had a good swim, and hope to see you all next week instead.

Sun, 31st May 2015 - 9:41 p.m.

Smashing Nene swim last Thursday. Thanks very much Steve, Steve and all involved. I think there were eleven of us in all. Two years ago there were just three of us on this leg. Weather looks good for the second leg this coming Thursday. May be an opportunity to forego the wetsuit??
Cheers

John

Wed, 3rd Jun 2015 - 11:48 a.m.

We had a decent turnout last Thursday, with 11 swimmers and a good mix of ability. Dissappointed to see John Luckins in a wetsuit though, and we didn't spot the turtle again.

The second leg is this Thursday, 4th June, from Denford through to Thrapston. We'll get in where we got out last week, at Denford lock. We will swim through Thrapston, crossing the A14 and the old Six Arches Bridge and get to Thrapston lock. We'll then do another kilometer or so along Thrapston marina to get to appr 2.1miles. The route of Thursday's leg is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/36511742.

Logistics:
As always we will meet for 6.15 at the finish at Thrapston Marina, and then take a few cars to drive to the start in Denford to start the swim at 6.30pm. Park in the car park, just before the Middle Nene Sailing Club.

If you are late and can't make it to Thrapston in time, you can always go to Denford directly and someone can drop you back there after the swim. Let us know on the Forum if you intend to do this, or are likely to be late.

Directions
To get to the finish location in Thrapston is a bit complicated. The address is Meadow Lane, which is near the town centre and starts at the Thrapston sports club (Chancery Lane / Green Lane). At the sports club playing fields, take a left into the wooded dirt road (this is Meadow Lane) and follow it until you get to a footbridge, where we will park at the end of the car park. The finish of this leg is quite a walk from here. Note: you can only get there by car from Thrapston town centre, not from Islip.

For those who go straight to Denford: you can get to the lock over the bridleway that runs from the village centre (petrol station, pub).

We should have kayak cover, once again, and the river is warming up.

See you at Thrapston for 6:15pm.

Fri, 5th Jun 2015 - 9:45 p.m.

Cracking swim last night, great to see so many Pactrac'ers out, and even had 2 excellent non-wetsuit brave men.
Fingers crossed for the summer they forecast for many more like that 😁

Tue, 9th Jun 2015 - 12:04 p.m.

Last week, we had sixteen swimmers in glorious sunshine.

This Thursday's swim is from Thrapston marina to Thorpe Waterville. This will be about 2.4miles, so that's a bit longer than the previous swims - and longer than an Ironman swim! See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37200472/ for this week's route.

The river snakes through the Thrapston lakes and Titchmarsh nature reserve on this leg, with a footpath on the bank for most of the way. We'll cross a few footbridges and then get to Titchmarsh lock and marina after about 1.8m. We'll cross the lock, and then it's just a few hundred meters to the finish.

As last week, the plan is to meet at the finish at Thorpe Waterville for 6.15pm and then drive to the start at Thrapston to get going around 6.30pm. This is one of the longest swims (apart from the final leg). The finish is the Nene bridge just West of Thorpe Waterville. Thorpe is on the A605. Coming from Peterborough, take a right at The Fox Inn, then follow the signs to Aldwincle, taking a left at the fork in the road. The finish is just a few hundred meters from Thorpe, at the second bridge. There are 1 or 2 spaces on the right and two more on the left. If this is full, there are further spaces beyond the bridge, or you could park on a verge in or near Thorpe.

If you've got a full car + driver anyway, then by all means go straight to the start. However, if you've got a driver and spare spaces, then please come to the finish so you can help in getting others to the start. If you are late and on your own, then you can also go straight to the start and we should be able to get you back to your car afterwards. Please let us know on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the start or may be late.

The start is (as always) where we finished last week, at Thrapston marina, so there'll be a bit of a walk to start with. Directions are on last weeks thread on the Forum.

See you on Thursday!

Tue, 9th Jun 2015 - 2:26 p.m.

Yep Yep, I'm in this week. Might not be so sunny this week, but we'll be wet anyway so who cares :-)

Wed, 10th Jun 2015 - 7:33 a.m.

As I climbed out just after the lock last week I am planning to start the swim from here and catch up (I hope) with the swimmers walking to the start. Should be around 2.9 miles total.
Meet at the finish as normal, travel up to the start as standard then start swimming as people are walking to the start. Aim to swim continuously (slowly) to catch up with the pack downstream somewhere.
Anyone wanting to join for a bit extra swimming?

Thu, 11th Jun 2015 - 5:57 p.m.

I am coming. Have had a rough day (spending 4 hours of my afternoon on the side of the A14 with a broken down van and three small children. I am leaving Hartford Hargate now and will meet you all at the start!

Skipping the wetsuit and can't wait to get in the water!

Fri, 12th Jun 2015 - 3:26 p.m.

Hi All.

We had 19 swimmers in the River Nene last Thursday plus Steve in his Kayak, and a few more on the bank. A glorious sunny day, but only one went sans-wetsuit.

Next week's swim will be from Thorpe Waterville to Wadenhoe. It's 1.9m (according to Mapmyrun), so that's quite a bit shorter than last week. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/37200776.

This section is very rural and remote. It goes through fields and some woodland, past the old Church of Wadenhoe on the top of the hill (take a moment to stop and look - it's a great view from in the water), and then finishes in Wadenhoe, right next to the King's Head pub's beergarden.

The plan is once again to meet at the finish at 6.15pm. There is usually plenty of parking space in the Village Hall car park. Go into the village of Wadenhoe and turn right from Mill Lane into Church Street. The car park is at the end of the road, past the pub on the left, to the Village Hall. The address is Church Street, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire PE8 5ST. We will then drive to the start at Thorpe Waterville to get in at around 6:30pm - see last week's message for directions. Hopefully there will be one or two non-swimmers who can drop the swimmers off at the start. If not, we'll figure something out.

Once again, please post on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the start, or expect to be late.

Sun, 21st Jun 2015 - 3:37 p.m.

We had 16 swimmers last week with slightly slower flowing and warmer water.

This week's Nene Swim is the 5th leg, from Wadenhoe to Lilford, and is the most suitable for novice river swimmers. It is only 1.4 miles long (according to Mapmyrun)! and it's easy to get out earlier as well. If anyone is not very confident about the long distances, then this is the week to give it your first try! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39035798

We start at the King's Head pub in Wadenhoe, and will have to get out again straight away to cross Wadenhoe lock. From there the river goes through the open fields, under a footbridge and then along a wooded hillside to the lock at Lilford. We then get back in to do the final 200 meters or so, to the day's finish, on the left bank, right across the river from Lilford Hall (nice view!). There is no access to the river from here right down to Oundle Mill, about 2 miles further downstream (next week's finish). In order to limit next week's swim to a feasible distance, we want to get out at the far end of the field, just before the fence.

We will meet at the finish near Lilford for 6.15pm and then drive to the start in a few cars. Directions to the finish: on the A605, drive to the roundabout halfway between Oundle and Thorpe Waterville. Take the narrow road to Pilton and Lilford (to the right when coming from Peterborough). Follow the road down the hill and then over two humpback Nene bridges. We will meet at the car parking space at 100m or so past the second humpback bridge on the right. There is parking space for 2 or 3 cars, and more space on the verges nearby.

Please advise on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the finish, or expect to be late.

We won't have Dave's big red van this week, so might need a few more cars to transport us all to the start.

I won't be around this Thursday, but will get the Sign-in sheet there. Might even think about a double-swim on the following Thursday!

Wed, 24th Jun 2015 - 7:33 a.m.

I won't be there on Thursday. Is anybody able to get the waiver / sign in sheet printed off and signed on the night please. I can forward it to your email address.

Wed, 24th Jun 2015 - 2:35 p.m.

Send it to me Steve, I should be there as long as I get back in time from Scotland.

Thu, 25th Jun 2015 - 10:10 a.m.

Hi All - I will be coming along with Philip, tonight but can't swim due to a burnt arm (an accident with a faulty gas bottle whilst camping at the Le Mans 24hr race). I will bring my camera and Coffee.

I also found this link which I thought PACTRAC'ers should be aware of. Apologies if its been posted already.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3137347/Gardener-left-horrific-burns-brushing-against-poisonous-giant-hogweed-fishing-t-expose-leg-sun-seven-YEARS.html

Fri, 26th Jun 2015 - 12:42 p.m.

Dear All

Here are a few pics I took from last nights Nene swim from Wadenhoe. If it doesn't work by clicking on the link just copy the line below and drop into your browser.

This is a private album, not public and the password is :

pactrac

I hope you like 'em!

http://s912.photobucket.com/user/shaun4339/slideshow/Pactrac%20swim%20Wadenhoe%20Jun%202015

Fri, 26th Jun 2015 - 4:35 p.m.

Hi everyone just a quick note to say thanks very much for last nights swim, it was a beautiful evening and I really enjoyed it. Also I appreciated the help I got getting kitted up in my suit. I picked up some very useful tips and hopefully will manage myself next week see you all then and by the way great flapjacks cheers Andy

Sun, 28th Jun 2015 - 6:42 p.m.

Great photo's Shaun. Looks like we had 13 in on Thursday. Another good turnout.

Mon, 29th Jun 2015 - 2:03 p.m.

We had another good turnout last week, with 13 swimmers in the river. This week's Nene Swim is the 6th leg, from Lilford to Oundle Mill. Mapmyrun gives this as 2.02 miles. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39514478.

We start across the river from Lilford Hall, near the road to Pilton. We will get in where we got out last week (which wasn't really that muddy...). The river runs through quite a remote area here; not even the Nene Way footpath follows the river. The last half mile is closer to Barnwell Road, and then we get to Oundle Mill. The finish is at the lock.

As always, we will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then aim to drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, for a 6:30pm start. Oundle Mill is on the road from Barnwell to Oundle, see http://www.oundlemill.co.uk/find_us.aspx. There is a lot of car parking space on the road verge next to the lock; I guess you can also park in the restaurant car park across the river.

This is a tricky stage, as we always encounter rowing boats on this leg, practicing out of Oundle Town Rowing Club. It is essential that we keep together, and the lead swimmers don't get too far ahead, and keep stopping and either wait or swim back, at more frequent intervals. If you are likely to be too far behind, this is one to join in further downstream. Please be aware, and please keep to the right (as you swim toward Oundle), to minimise disturbance and risk.

Doing the whole length of this leg is less suitable for slower and less experienced swimmers, as it would spread out the swimmers too much - unless you make sure you have another swimmer with you and / or start a lot earlier. But it is of course also an option to start at Oundle and swim toward the others - as long as you make sure you are not swimming alone.

Important note: the Oundle Town Rowing Club have their weekly training session on the same stretch and around the same time. They start from Oundle and go upstream and back. It will therefore be important that we are well-disciplined at Thursday's swim because the rowers won't be able to see us coming.

We need to stay on the right side of the river (we downstream, and the boats upstream).
We also need to make sure that we stay together in one bunch, to minimise mutual disturbance, at least until we've had our "encounter". All swimmers will really have to stay within sight of each other, certainly up to when we will have encountered the rowers. The faster swimmers can swim ahead for 10mins or so, and then wait or swim back to pick up the others.

We will of course have to make sure to all be out before the rowers get back to Oundle, which is after 8pm. Which means we will do our best to start on time - leave Oundle Mill at 6.15 to be in the water in Lilford at 6.30. If you are late, please start from the Oundle end after the rowers have set off.

And if you are a bit less speedy and confident: as always you are very welcome, but for this leg it is better to start from the Oundle end - as long as you make sure you are not swimming alone. Please advise on the Forum if you are likely to be late, or intend to go straight to the finish.

See you on Thursday!

Wed, 15th Jul 2015 - 1:36 a.m.

A number of people have asked me about the orange float/dry bag that I use when I come down to the river to swim. The reason that I use it is because I am one of the slower swimmers in the group, and the tow float makes me more visible to boats and other river users, if I get detached from the main body of swimmers. They are also dry bags, so if you have anything you want to take with you, such as a phone or car keys etc, these can be placed inside. Depending on the size of the bag, you can put all sorts of stuff in them. if you go to the Chillswim website and go to the shop bit, you will find all they have to offer there.

Wed, 15th Jul 2015 - 7:07 a.m.

Thanks Kate, handy to explain for anyone who might not be familiar with them.
Almost all of the channel swim guys and gals I know use them during their training swims - they hold a multitude of items such as hydration and GPS (more accurate than being on your wrist) as well as keys / wallets etc.
The visibility to other water users with them is second to none.

Wed, 15th Jul 2015 - 12:15 p.m.

This Thursday's swim is from Ashton to Cotterstock. The distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712.

The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last week (see last week's post for directions). There is a lock to cross after just a 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There are some (but not many) parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill - you may have to go further into the village.

Less confident swimmers could start from the Oundle boathouse - this is exactly halfway, so just over a mile to Cotterstock.

See you on Thursday - let me know (preferably on the Forum) if you plan to come along.

Wed, 15th Jul 2015 - 12:17 p.m.

Hi all.

I wasn't about last week, and have heard nothing regarding numbers or how it went. Back on track now and in it to the finish.

This Thursday's swim is from Ashton to Cotterstock. The distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712.

The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last week (see last week's email for directions). There is a lock to cross after just 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Meet at Cotterstock at 6:15pm ready to be transported to Ashton for a 6:30pm start.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There are some (but not many) parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill - you may have to go further into the village.

Less confident swimmers could start from the Oundle boathouse - this is exactly halfway, so just over a mile to Cotterstock.

Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or are going direct to the start.

See you on Thursday.

Thu, 16th Jul 2015 - 6:06 p.m.

I'm running a few mins late, so will meet you at the start tonight.

Wed, 22nd Jul 2015 - 3:25 p.m.

We had another good turnout last week.

This week's swim is 2.0 miles from Cotterstock to Bluebell lakes, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/42119500

Like previous years, Tony at Bluebell Lakes Fisheries is happy for us to park on their premises and get in and out of the river, both this and next week. Please make sure to respect their property and their clients!

The swim starts at Cotterstock Lock where we finished last week. The river goes around the edge of Tansor, then goes on to the Bluebell fishing lakes. We will swim around the lakes, cross Perio Lock, get back in (it's really not done to walk the last bit from there back to the cars...) and then get out at the other end of the fishing lakes, near the car park. There is a good access point across the bridge from the car park.

Do note that the Bluebell Fisheries close at 9pm so we'll have to be away by then. Car access is over a narrow and bumpy road / track that starts from the road between Tansor and Fotheringhay. Coming from Peterborough on the A605, take a right at the roundabout near Warmington; go left at the T-junction toward Tansor, and then take the small road to the right after about 400m (it has Bluebell Lakes signs). Follow the road straight ahead, onto the gravel track, between two lakes, and on to the Reception where the car park is. The address is Bluebell Lakes, Tansor, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 5HP. If you are interested in seeing some of the monsters that hopefully don't make it from the lakes into the river: http://www.bluebell-lakes.co.uk/index.html. They would eat a turtle (if not a human being).

As always, we meet at the finish at Bluebell Lakes, around 6.15pm and then take a few cars to drive to the start at Cotterstock. Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or intend to go straight to the start.

See you on Thursday!

Wed, 29th Jul 2015 - 11:00 a.m.

Hello PACTRACers.
We had 19 swimmers last Thursday, on another great evening for river swimming, through the remote countryside north of Oundle. This Thursday we are swimming from Bluebell Lakes to Warmington Lock.

See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43629928. The distance is 1.97 miles according to Mapmyrun.

We start at the car park of Bluebell Lakes where we got out last week. Most of the route is through open fields, and we swim past Fotheringhay, with great views of the church and the castle site. We will swim under the Fotheringhay road bridge, and continue to the lock near Warmington, where we get out.

This is the only public access point downstream from Fotheringhay. This section has the longest walk from car park to entry / exit point: we will have to walk about 500 meters over a footpath through a field (usually with very confused looking sheep) to get to the car park. (The only alternative is to swim 3.5 miles between Fotheringhay and Elton ...)

The car park is at the Fired Earth kitchens store and the Elton Boat Club at Warmington Mill. Go to the A605 roundabout near Warmington and follow the signs to Warmington Mill (exit toward Fotheringhay / Tansor, and then take an immediate right after just a few meters), and you'll get to the car park. The address is Warmington Mill, Eaglethorpe, Warmington Peterborough PE8 6TJ.

As before we are meeting at the finish at Warmington Mill at 6.15pm, aiming to get to the start at Bluebell Lakes for 6.30. Please advise on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the finish, or expect to be late.
See you on Thursday.

Wed, 5th Aug 2015 - 3:49 p.m.

We had another great swim again last Thursday, with 14 swimmers continuing with the adventure.
This Thursday is the 11th leg of the Nene Marathon Swim. So, just three swims to go to get to Wansford.

We are swimming from Warmington Lock, past Elton Park and Elton, down to Elton Bridge (which is the roadbridge to Fotheringhay / Nassington). Mapmyrun tells us this is 2.04 miles. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630166
Those who did the previous leg will know that the start is a 500 meter walk from the car park to the lock. This is a decent track through a field. We will get in at the lock and swim alongside Elton Park and its woods. There is one lock to pass at Elton, and then it's about half a mile to the bridge, where we get out. There is some car park space on the Fotheringhay / Nassington side of the bridge, but more on the Elton side, along the bridleway where the road turns toward the bridge.

The plan is to meet at the Elton Bridge at 6.15pm, take 1 or 2 cars to drive up to Warmington and start the walk to the lock at 6.30. If you can't make it you can always go straight to the start. And if you are even later, you could still join the fun by swimming upstream from Elton Bridge and meet us en route.

Finally: we have been having great turnouts over recent weeks. It is important that everyone is aware that there are some risks associated to river swimming; that everyone is primarily responsible for their own safety (not Pactrac or any other individual); but that we also look out for each other. The key risk is getting hit by boats - this is why it is important to stay in groups, wear colourful caps and look up regularly. Other risks are stomach upsets (so don't swallow the water!) and trips&slips around the structures. And of course encounters with wildlife, especially swans and turtles... We've not had any serious incidents, but thought that we would raise awareness again so that we can keep it that way. Their is a Risk Assessment which you can find via this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEw-8T01JgedXJ0c2pCb0d2M0E/edit?usp=sharing. If you come along on the swim, you will have signed in with a copy of the RA on the back.

Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or intend to go straight to the start.

Thu, 6th Aug 2015 - 11:14 p.m.

Thanks for a really enjoyable swim tonight. Thanks to the Steves for keeping us safe, to Red Van Dave, the keeper of the flip flops, and to Shaun and Phil for coffee and wonderful sticky, gooey, yummy flapjack at the end. Drove home through the villages with a beautiful red sky as the sun set. Perfect. Still no sign of the Nene Turtle though.......😃

Wed, 12th Aug 2015 - 12:04 p.m.

This Thursday's swim is from Elton Bridge to Nassington, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630294. It's 1.71 miles according to Mapmyrun. which is a bit shorter than most of the previous legs.

We had another good turn out again last week with 16 swimmers. A lovely evening with a very comfortable water temperature.

We will meet in Nassington at 6.15pm. Cars can be parked at the beginning of the village when coming from Elton / Fotheringhay, near the Nene Way footpath sign that leads to and from the river. There is plenty of space on the grass verge of the road. We will then drive to Elton Bridge, to be in the water at 6.30.

The route crosses a footbridge and then goes through open countryside until you see Nassington church in the distance. There is one weir on the right bank, with about half a mile to go. The finish is at the next footbridge. Depending on vegetation and fencing there are various places to get out - last year the best spot was on the left some 20 m beyond the bridge. It's quite a long walk back to the road, so it's wise to bring flipflops, as well as flapjacks.

(Next week sees the final swim down to Wansford and is the longest of them all, at 2.5 miles, so ... apologies to all of you who are not into Open water Swimming, but these emails will shortly be coming to a conclusion for this year!)

There's no Dave with his big red van this Thursday, so we'll have to take a few more cars to the start. Maybe Stuart might even be there, like last year, with his ladder to help us out at Nassington.

See you on Thursday.

Wed, 12th Aug 2015 - 1:00 p.m.

I hope to be there tomorrow if the temperature holds, and can carry a few bods (5) plus me and Philip in my old Shogun..'

Pic from last week...

:)

Wed, 12th Aug 2015 - 1:10 p.m.

I can't attach the image. It was rejected.
sorry.

Wed, 12th Aug 2015 - 5:59 p.m.

I hope to be there tomorrow, but will have to shoot off pretty sharpish at the end, so will need to leave my car at the finish.

Wed, 12th Aug 2015 - 9:52 p.m.

I'll be there this week and can take a few to the start of needed.

Mon, 17th Aug 2015 - 1:33 p.m.

This Thursday we will swim what is normally the last stage of the Nene swim marathon. This is from Nassington (the Nene Way footbridge) down to the old roadbridge in Wansford. Mapmyrun says 2.48 miles for this one, which makes it the longest of the 13 legs. http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630506. It is one of the most varied and interesting routes, crossing two locks and swimming along the Yarwell caravan park.

We have swum this leg in previous years on a weekend as it was getting dark; but we are a bit earlier this year. Still, in order to get out before dark we will have to be a bit more disciplined with our start time. The plan is to meet at Wansford, by the Haycock Inn, and leave from there at 6.15pm, which should get us in the river around 6.30.

If you can't make this, or if you are not very confident with the long distance, you could swim upstream from Wansford Bridge and meet the group. Please post on the Forum here,if you plan to do this.

We'll continue swimming in the Nene for another couple of weeks: and head further downstream from Wansford to the Nene Valley Railway, and then from the NVR to Castor. We'll be into September by then and it should be getting a bit darker/colder after that.

Thu, 20th Aug 2015 - 4:02 p.m.

Hi Steve,
Will be in wansford for 6pm. Liz is happy to be the Key/flip flop holder again as well as assist with transporting if required.

Thu, 20th Aug 2015 - 6:12 p.m.

Running behind. It was slow coming back to Peterborough from Milton Keynes. Just getting home, need to throw the kids at the husband and get on my way. I will meet at the start. Thanks!

Tue, 25th Aug 2015 - 4:19 p.m.

The 13th and final leg of our 26.2 mile Woodford to Wansford Nene Swim, was completed last Thursday; with 14 swimmers enjoying the 2.5 mile stretch to Wansford.

This Thursday, we will be venturing beyond Wansford and seeing what the Nene looks like east of the A1. We swam this leg from Wansford to the Nene Valley Railway in 2013.

According to Jaap, this is one of the nicest stretches (although he does say that about every stretch).

The water temperature is still very pleasant, so we are keen to enjoy it while we can; and with open-water races still happening, we will continue downstream next week too.

We will swim from Wansford Bridge down to Stibbington, and get out opposite the NVR, on the Old Great North Road. This should be about 1.9 miles. See: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/283488897

The plan is to meet up at 6:15pm near the Nene Valley Railway Station, post code PE8 6LR. Then drive to the start in Wansford to get into the water (opposite The Haycock), around 6:30pm.

Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or intend to go direct to the start. We will need to start on-time again this week, as the night's are drawing in.

Wed, 26th Aug 2015 - 10:27 a.m.

BBQ at my house (1 Malus Close, Hampton Hargate, PE7 8DU) 4:30-7:30 on Sunday 20th of September. Please let me know if you plan to attend.

https://www.facebook.com/events/851989171536354/

Wed, 2nd Sep 2015 - 10:18 a.m.

We are still exploring the Nene downstream from the A1. Tomorrow evening's swim starts at the Nene Valley Railway where we left off last week. There is a feasible exit point 1.9 miles downstream, not too far from Castor. The route passes Water Newton after about 1m, so there is also an option for a shorter swim. The route is on: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/285173273

The plan is to meet at the finish at 6:15pm. There is a Nene Valley Trust car park at the end of Splash Lane in Castor; it's at the end of the bumpy (but drivable) track that starts where Splash Lane turns right. Splash Lane is the one-but-last driveable road on the right in Castor, as you head out towards Peterborough; it's got a signpost to the Woodlands Sports Centre.

The car park is about 5-6 minutes walk on the footpath through the field, from an idyllic spot on the river where we can get out. We will take some cars to the Nene Valley Railway Station for a 6:30pm start. We will need to be on time again, as the night's are drawing in and it's a much longer drive than 1.9m.

If you intend to go straight to the start, or expect to be late, please leave a message on the Forum.

Wed, 2nd Sep 2015 - 8:54 p.m.

Going to miss this week due to racing at the weekend, hope you all have fun - don't drink all the river water!

Thu, 3rd Sep 2015 - 8:01 a.m.

I would just like to do 1mile anyone else up for that.

Thu, 3rd Sep 2015 - 4:53 p.m.

Hi Steve

Will be there tonight but will need to check the temp before swimming. I have the coffee anyway and can give a lift to others so lets see how we get on...

Shaun

I

Thu, 3rd Sep 2015 - 11:05 p.m.

11 swimmers tonight for the final open water Nene swim this year. The water is getting colder; the night's are drawing in; I'm away next week and the last open water races are probably this weekend.

Thanks to Sean, John and Beth for the coffee and cakes (plus Phil previously). Thanks to Amy for kayaking this one, and to Steve and Josh for all of their kayaking on previous night's. Thanks to Dave for ferrying us around in his big red van, and to all those whose cars we have used, including Graeme tonight. We've had a good 15 Thursday night swims this year and every one has been a great stretch of river to swim. Thanks to all for supporting such a unique and enjoyable adventure.

Don't forget the BBQ on 20th September. Contact Amy and let her know that you'll be there.

Fri, 4th Sep 2015 - 12:21 a.m.

All of the above seconded, plus thanks to you Steve Hope for getting us all organised.

Fri, 4th Sep 2015 - 7:08 a.m.

Echoing the words above. A huge thanks to Steve for organizing this, it has been great fun, good training, and a great way to bond. An equally huge thanks to all those who provided support - kayaking, driving, carrying shoes, supplying flapjack/cake/coffee, dragging us out of the water, and anyone else I may have missed.
I'm already looking forward to next year.

Fri, 4th Sep 2015 - 11:25 a.m.

Thanks to all for letting me join in with the swim again this year. Thanks to Steve for organising, David for red van transport, Josh and Steve for safety cover, and finally Philip and John L for alternate weekly flapjack making. Much appreciated. See you all soon.

Fri, 11th Sep 2015 - 9:07 a.m.

Please could someone give me a contact number for Steve Mould please. email to shaun@papewoodward.co.uk

Fri, 11th Sep 2015 - 12:48 p.m.

Steve Mould +447751722661