Which 1st Cycle??

Wed, 2nd Dec 2015 - 11:08 p.m.

Hi All,

I am new to the Triathlon and cycling although an experienced runner, I am looking at getting my first bike but havn't a clue where to start as the internet is flooded with so many makes and models, frames, gear sets etc.
My first question is do I buy new or 2nd hand?.
It would seem there is a triathlon type bike or a road racing bike to choose from, any advice would be appreciated. I have just joined Pactrac with a view to starting training with you guys early Jan.
Thanks in Advance
Aaron

Thu, 3rd Dec 2015 - 8:29 p.m.

There seems to be specific triathlon bikes with the streamline position and road bikes. What have people got in the group?

Thu, 3rd Dec 2015 - 9:34 p.m.

Hi Aaron, cheers for asking. There is a wealth of knowledge within the club, so great to ask.
My advice would be to go for a road, or aero road bike. A TT bike is an awesome tool for no-holds barred time against the clock, but it's a niche machine and has limitations. If your just starting out you will get so much more use from a conventional setup, and you can always upgrade later on.
Regarding new vs used, used will represent great value if you know what to look for, but this is the right time of year for new bike bargains. Talk to local shops, gorilla firm in oundle are great, I'm sure others can reccomend other shops.

Fri, 4th Dec 2015 - 5:34 a.m.

Thanks Tristan can't wait to get started.

Sat, 5th Dec 2015 - 12:44 p.m.

Hi Aeron. A TT bike is just for racing, whilst a road bike can be for racing or training, so go for a road bike. See Dave Coxhead in the club. He runs Bristows Cycles in Peterborough. Also Planet X do a great deal on Carbon frames with Shimano Ultegra Groupset for around £1100.

Sat, 5th Dec 2015 - 9:18 p.m.

Thanks Steve..noted