Nene Swim - Woodford to Wansford.

Mon, 16th May 2016 - 10:40 p.m.

Hello PACTRACers.

Summer is here, and it's time to start the full Nene swim from Woodford to Wansford this Thursday 19th May. This is a great adventure, and has become an annual Pactrac tradition. You don't have to be a top swimmer to come along - we usually have the full range, all the way from breaststrokers to accomplished Ironman swimmers. Everyone is welcome. The faster swimmers either wait every now and then, or swim back.

We need to make a start, in order to reach Wansford by September. This is now the sixth year that we are doing a Pactrac Nene Swim Marathon. We start at Woodford and then make our way to Wansford, 26.2miles downstream, in thirteen bite-sized chunks, on Thursday evenings. If you are new to this and want to get an idea, have a look at previous years' Forums, e.g. http://pactrac.co.uk/forums/topic/490.

The first stage is this Thursday, 19th May, from Woodford to Denford. The route is on MapMyRun: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/96296057

We will get in just upstream of the village of Woodford and swim down to Denford. MapMyRun says it's 1.73miles, so that's a good distance to start with. This is a really pleaseant, open and rural stretch of the Nene. We will have our first lock to cross and will finish at the second lock. Denford is where the Nene Turtle was spotted five years ago. Maybe he'll be waiting for us again.

The plan is to meet at the finish, and then share cars to the start. That makes it easier for most people to get home after the swim. So we will meet in Denford at 6.15pm, near Meadow Lane which leads to the lock where we will finish this leg. Meadow Lane is in the centre of the village, across the road from the petrol station / pub on the Denford High Street, you can't miss it.

We will then take a few cars (or even a big red van!), to drive to the start in Woodford. We will park at the end of Church Street; from Woodford's village green, take one of the narrow lanes to the bottom of the village and then turn right. Note there isn't much car parking space. From the end of Church Street there is a footpath; turn left just after the gate and you'll get to the river. We will start the swim at 6.30pm. If anyone is able to bring any designated drivers along, that would help a lot with the logistics.

If you are not confident to do the whole swim, you could come to the finish and swim upstream until you meet the others. Don't do this on your own (for safety), but there may be a few others interested - best to post on the Forum.

We will do a short briefing before the start and you will need to sign in and out. This year again, I am happy to say, we have Steve and Josh Mould as kayak safety cover, but of course everyone still participates at their own risk.

Can you also post on the Forum if you think that you might be late, or intend to do things slightly differently.

This will be a good test before Sunday's Off-Road Triathlon at Harringworth.

Tue, 17th May 2016 - 4:54 p.m.

Hi Steve. I will be coming along but will need to make a swift exit at the other end.

Wed, 18th May 2016 - 5:38 p.m.

We are planning to be there. There will also be a colleague of mine, new to river swimming and preparing for Dambuster.

Thu, 19th May 2016 - 3:46 p.m.

Im coming....

Thu, 19th May 2016 - 10:23 p.m.

14 in the River Nene at Woodford tonight. Great stretch to swim. I found it a touch on the cold side still, but others found it a bit warmer, including the 3 without wetsuits. Thanks to John, Jaap and Liz for the transport. Thanks to Phil, Shaun and Amy for the nutrition. We're off and running ...

Fri, 20th May 2016 - 12:12 a.m.

Really enjoyed the swim tonight everyone. Thanks for organising it again this year Steve.

I have added a few of Johns swim, and my post swim photos from this evening to the main photo gallery.

I suggest we need an 'event' adding to the drop down menu for the river swims? so these and future photos can be accessed more easily, but this will need to be done by the site administrator/moderator guess.

See you next week...

Mon, 23rd May 2016 - 11:19 a.m.

We had a decent turnout last Thursday, with 14 swimmers and a few more on the bank. We didn't spot the Nene turtle again, but the river is gradually warming up.

The second leg is this Thursday, 26th May, from Denford through to Thrapston. We'll get in where we got out last week, at Denford lock. We will swim through Thrapston, crossing the A14 and the old Six Arches Bridge and get to Thrapston lock. We'll then do another kilometer or so along Thrapston marina to get to appr 2.1miles. The route of Thursday's leg is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/36511742.

Logistics:
As always we will meet for 6.15 at the finish at Thrapston Marina, and then take a few cars to drive to the start in Denford to start the swim at 6.30pm. Park in the car park, just before the Middle Nene Sailing Club.

If you are late and can't make it to Thrapston in time, you can always go to Denford directly and someone can drop you back there after the swim. Let us know on the Forum if you intend to do this, or are likely to be late.

Directions
To get to the finish location in Thrapston is a bit complicated. The address is Meadow Lane, which is near the town centre and starts at the Thrapston sports club (Chancery Lane / Green Lane). At the sports club playing fields, take a left into the wooded dirt road (this is Meadow Lane) and follow it until you get to a footbridge, where we will park at the end of the car park. The finish of this leg is quite a walk from here. Note: you can only get there by car from Thrapston town centre, not from Islip.

For those who go straight to Denford: you can get to the lock over the bridleway that runs from the village centre (petrol station, pub).

We may not have the kayak cover that we had last year. If anybody knows any kayakers who may be willing to help out, please let us know.

Jaap will be there this Thursday. I'm away, but please look out for boats, wear a bright coloured swim hat, and look out for one another.

Please be at Thrapston for 6:15pm.

Wed, 25th May 2016 - 11:03 a.m.

I'm planning on swimming tomorrow night. I'll meet you in Thapston and happy to ferry people to Denford. Will aim to bring cakes too!!

Wed, 25th May 2016 - 11:10 a.m.

I'll be coming...Coffee supplied as usual...

Fri, 27th May 2016 - 12:27 a.m.

Thanks for swim tonight, and the goodies afterwards. I promise I will try and make something for next week, but it might be advisable to have it beforehand instead of drinking Coke! It was a very fast group tonight, I hope I'm not speaking out of turn with my next request. Could I ask that the faster swimmers pause occasionally just to keep the slower swimmers in sight. I'm not asking you to wait for, or come back for us, but just to keep a link between the front and the back. One of our number became unwell tonight feeling sick and dizzy, and had to get out reasonably early on. Shaun and Amy were superstars, and swam alongside whilst he walked along the bank, to make sure he got back OK. Richard and I held back to keep them in sight in case we were required to help. I appreciate it's cold in there at the moment, but if we can at least keep a line-of-sight between the front and the back, then if there is an issue, we are all aware and can address it appropriately.

Fri, 27th May 2016 - 11:44 a.m.

Adding to Kates comment :

I am aware I am peripheral to PACTRAC’s activity as a social member
involved only in the river swim, and that this is a social swim for the
club. As you know I am not a triathlete and have no interest in
competition, nor swimming in a wetsuit as I wish to ‘feel’ the elements
and the river. However I do swim outdoors in the summer more than most, at
least 2.5km six days a week, that’s how I get my enjoyment.

As my swims with John L. both in the river and in the pool have
demonstrated, without a wetsuit we swim together happily at the same
speed, but when he wears a suit the extra buoyancy means I can’t get close
to staying with him (although I am aware a few exceptional swimmers in the
group can keep pace without suits, but not me).

I am also aware that if we all stay together on the swims when there is a
big disparity in individual speed, (magnified by the wearing/non wearing
of wetsuits), it could cause additional problems such as the leading
swimmers getting cold or cramping when waiting for the slower swimmers
(mainly when the water is coldest). I also fully appreciate how
frustrating it would be for the very quick swimmers to wait for the slower
plodders like me, especially when we are not even full club triathletes.

I offer the following ideas for consideration and comment:-

1/. Allow a group of slower swimmers to leave a bit earlier than the main
fast group (as long as there are two minimum it should be safe), and those
swimmers should keep within sight and reasonable distance of each other.
In other words we are swimming to the slowest of a slower group). The
faster swimmers go say 10/15 mins later so we all arrive back together.
This is the system used by SwimTrek in the sea and works well.

2/. The faster swimmers who want to ‘power on', simply swim back to keep
the slower swimmers in sight as has happened previously.

3/. We approach the swims basically as two, or even more clear ‘speed
groups’ setting off together but making sure we always stay in sensible
visual contact with all those in our specific group.

4/. Swimmers pair up with a swim ‘buddy’ (or two) before the swim,
choosing someone who swims at the same speed, and you stay close to your
‘buddy' even if the group spreads out. (I like this idea…).

5/. All take off your wetsuits to slow you down — (Yes that is a joke…LOL)

6/. All swimmers get wetsuits …(Might have trouble finding one to fit me…)

Although safety is paramount, I have to say that I frequently swim the
Nene and Ouse alone. I use my tow float and always take my phone in a
waterproof case when I do and I never feel worried. I also keep my flip
flops, shorts, T shirt and a micro towel in the tow bag. If I did have a
problem I could get out dry off, get dressed, walk back then phone if it’s
a real emergency. I truly believe that river swimming is not a dangerous
activity. You are never more than a few metres from the bank, many places
are shallow enough to stand up, and the chances of becoming unwell and not
being able to get out are very slight. Of course if you have a stroke or a
heart attack you may be in big trouble, but the same could be said of
driving a car for example, so I dismiss this as a serious hazard.

Many will know, in the past I have entered the water at the start of a
swim and then got out again, as it just ‘didn’t feel right’ for me that
night ( too cold). I would implore river swimmers to listen to your body.
Your instincts are usually correct, and if it doesn’t ‘feel right’ that
day just ‘pass'. Grab a camera, take some pics, cheer the others on and
‘go again' next week.

I really enjoyed the swim last night, and thanks again for allowing me to
join in the swimming fun with this club again this year despite not being
a true Triathlete. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy our Thursday
evenings.

I hope this is helpful.

Fri, 27th May 2016 - 6:00 p.m.

Whilst safety must be the top priority,is there perhaps a danger that the organising of the event could become just too complicated for those heroes Jaap and Steve to bother with?
This is the fifth year that I have taken-part,and I have noticed over the years a quickening of the overall pace,but,I for one,would struggle to define myself as either a fast or slow swimmer.In fact,judging by last night's performance when I swam quite a distance alone,probably somewhere in between,so which group would I swim with?
At the age of 63 I am probably the oldest,and thus arguably at most risk of a major medical emergency of all the regular swimmers,but I accept that situation.As Shaun says above,Listen to your body and act accordingly".
Now let's all go and have another great swim next Thursday!

Fri, 27th May 2016 - 7:00 p.m.

Fully agree Philip. I absolutely totally and utterly concur and agree with you that Jaap and Steve are very generous to organise this event each year, which is massively appreciated by us all. To overcome the problem identified by Kate, my own preference is the concept of simply having a swim 'buddy' (or buddies), which we chose on the night. It's an informal way to make sure we look out for each other and to prevent individual swimmers getting stranded, (important if they have a problem like last night) as the group stretches out. I don't accept the individuals in the group won't be willing to find similar pace swimmers to pair with, even if it involves a tiny adjustment of overall pace for some. I think this idea is easily adopted without any real change to the dynamic of the swim and may actually improve it, as everyone can swim at their own pace more readily, rather than having to wait for longer periods whilst others to catch up. Please note my comments were offered in good faith, only in light of Kates earlier message here. A few ideas, light heartedly proffered for informal consideration by the group. I swim on my own a lot, so I am personally not concerned when swimming alone, but Kate does have a point. I thought my idea may help all of us when viewed in the round but thats for others to decide, not moi!

Fri, 27th May 2016 - 9:34 p.m.

Shaun and Philip. I think you are both a very important part of the river swim, as well as Steve and Jaap. I'm pretty sure there are some swimmers who come along because of the post swim coffee and flapjack! The first year we did the river swim, it was to raise money for one of Jaap's colleagues who had been involved in an accident, and who was paralysed. That year there was a culture of the faster swimmers swimming back to the slower ones. This didn't happen so much the following year, and that's when I decided to get the tow float. It was definitely a talking point when I first got it! When we used to swim in the lake at Harringworth, it was a condition of swimming in there that you swam in pairs. I'm not sure how the others feel about this, when river swimming. I don't think we need to get too hung up by this, but we do need to be aware of how many are in the group and where they are. Getting out is one thing, but as Amy pointed out, we didn't want him to keel over and either fall in or not be anywhere where he could be helped. Anyway, it's the long one next week - let's hope this glorious weather holds and it's even warmer! One day Shaun, I might even try without a wetsuit (but not yet!!!) 😃

Sat, 28th May 2016 - 4:07 p.m.

OK,I guess that this subject,now that the Genie is out of the bottle,is going to drag on for the whole 26miles!
In principle,the idea of swimming in pairs is a great idea,but in practice I wonder.The practicality of finding someone that swims at a similar pace to oneself,is I suspect,easier said than done,particularly as some swimmers only ever meet on the Nene Swim evenings.I for one have no idea who swims at my pace,I seem to have different company,or none at all,each week!
One thing that I have noticed,both this year and last year,is that there are/were less pauses for the group to regroup than in previous years,maybe that practice should be re-established?
Like Shaun,I am quite comfortable about swimming alone.Furthermore,because of the sheer practicality,I would be reluctant to have to formally keep pace with any "buddy".

Sat, 28th May 2016 - 8:58 p.m.

It's really not such a big issue Philip, and it won't drag on.

As an alternative suggestion, perhaps the slowest swimmers could be the ones to agree informal pairing, as swimmers 'mid pack' or 'upfront' will always have others catching them up should they have a problem. Maybe as a very simple precaution we could just agree that the rearmost (slowest) swimmer should not be left behind to swim alone by the second slowest (which is effectively what happened last week). One of those is most likely to be me anyway.

Wish I had never commented now folks! It was only a suggestion to spark thoughtful debate in the river swim group following Kates message and not an attempt to become health and safety executive officer!

Sorry if I have created an issue where there isn't one.

As an aside, Simone and I went down and swam in Letchworth Lido this afternoon. 50M outdoor pool in a lovely setting and it's heated (so you don't need those wetsuits! - lol) ....Oh, and I have ordered a new "all singing all dancing" coffee pot for our Thursday evenings.

Have a great weekend Kate, Philip and see you all next week.

Sun, 29th May 2016 - 10:39 p.m.

Oh dear - sorry folks. I didn't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the swim. Just wanted to promote some kind of awareness that we need to be mindful of what's going on around us. Roll on Thursday, or as the swim at the pool is off, does anybody fancy a dip at Wadenhoe at around 6'ish? I'll be at work tomorrow, so won't be able to respond until I get home if anyone is up for it.

Sun, 29th May 2016 - 11:44 p.m.

Hi Kate - I'm off to Jesus green late tomorrow. Cheers Shaun :)

Mon, 30th May 2016 - 3:46 p.m.

Sorry, just got back from Lisbon. 21-hour turnaround and now off to Venice !!!

Mon, 30th May 2016 - 4:23 p.m.

Ahh - never thought of Jesus Green Shaun, and too late for Peterborough Lido tumble turning session. Never mind, will do turbo instead. Good luck inVenice Steve, and well done for Lisbon. What were Georgina and Simon Hoppe doing to you in those FB photos? Your face was a picture!!!

Mon, 30th May 2016 - 4:33 p.m.

This Thursday's swim is from Thrapston marina to Thorpe Waterville. This will be about 2.4miles, so that's a bit longer than the previous swims - and the same as an Ironman swim! See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37200472/ for this week's route.

The river snakes through the Thrapston lakes and Titchmarsh nature reserve on this leg, with a footpath on the bank for most of the way. We'll cross a few footbridges and then get to Titchmarsh lock and marina after about 1.8m. We'll cross the lock, and then it's just a few hundred meters to the finish.

As last week, the plan is to meet at the finish at Thorpe Waterville for 6.15pm and then drive to the start at Thrapston to get going around 6.30pm. This is one of the longest swims (apart from the final leg). The finish is the Nene bridge just West of Thorpe Waterville. Thorpe is on the A605. Coming from Peterborough, take a right at The Fox Inn, then follow the signs to Aldwincle, taking a left at the fork in the road. The finish is just a few hundred meters from Thorpe, at the second bridge. There are 1 or 2 spaces on the right and two more on the left. If this is full, there are further spaces beyond the bridge, or you could park on a verge in or near Thorpe.

If you've got a full car + driver anyway, then by all means go straight to the start. However, if you've got a driver and spare spaces, then please come to the finish so you can help in getting others to the start. If you are late and on your own, then you can also go straight to the start and we should be able to get you back to your car afterwards. Please let us know on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the start or may be late.

The start is (as always) where we finished last week, at Thrapston marina, so there'll be a bit of a walk to start with. Directions are on last weeks thread on the Forum.

Jaap will be there this Thursday. Enjoy and stay safe.

Tue, 31st May 2016 - 8:37 p.m.

Hi,

Yes, we'll be there, if Hugo allows...

Just a quick one on the previous topic; I think it's good to have this conversation once every while. It has always been part of our Nene swim's ethos for everyone to stay together in principle, and that's what we've normally always done (apart from a few blips over the years). But when the water is as cold as the last two weeks, it's simply not possible for some of the swimmers to stay in longer than necessary. Even then, it's still an absolute requirement that we don't leave the slowest 1 or 2 swimmers on their own - good that that didn't happen in the last two weeks because we had two similar sized groups.

So: I suggest that in principle we keep doing what we've always done: keep in sight, and wait or swim back every 10-15 mins or so. But if this doesn't work for someone (because of cold, hurry, whatever), then that's fine; as long as no one is left behind. And of course we should all be aware of our own and others' safety (with the mandatory disclaimer that everyone participates at their own risk and the club and organisers are ultimately not responsible for your safety!).

See you on Thursday!

Thu, 2nd Jun 2016 - 11:03 a.m.

I probably won't be swimming tonight. The inclement weather means it will be too cold without a wetsuit and no fun for me. Will return to do this stage once the weather picks up a bit. Might come along with the camera and coffee if I can.

Thu, 2nd Jun 2016 - 5:04 p.m.

Don't blame you Shaun - cold enough with a wetsuit. If you post when you are going to do it, I will try and join you if that's OK. I am going tonight, and will have space for up to 4 people, so happy to take people to the start.

Thu, 2nd Jun 2016 - 5:37 p.m.

Hi Kate - Have a good swim. I'm off indoors tonight, so won't be at Thrapston. Cheers Shaun

Wed, 8th Jun 2016 - 4:14 p.m.

I presume that the Nene Swim continues as normal tomorrow?
There's been no email or website message as of 16:15 today.

Philip.

Wed, 8th Jun 2016 - 11:45 p.m.

Hi Philip. Think it's Thorpe to Wadenhoe tomorrow. I can't make it, which is a shame, as the weather is great and it's one of my favourite stretches. (And my goggles aren't leaking any more!). Have a good swim.

Wed, 8th Jun 2016 - 11:57 p.m.

Sorry, only got back from Venice very late last night. On the case, but it's Thorpe Waterville to Wadenhoe.

Thu, 9th Jun 2016 - 7:25 a.m.

This week's swim will be from Thorpe Waterville to Wadenhoe. It's 1.9m (according to Mapmyrun), so that's quite a bit shorter than last week. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/37200776.

This section is very rural and remote. It goes through fields and some woodland, past the old Church of Wadenhoe on the top of the hill (take a moment to stop and look - it's a great view from in the water), and then finishes in Wadenhoe, right next to the King's Head pub's beergarden.

The plan is once again to meet at the finish at 6.15pm. There is usually plenty of parking space in the Village Hall car park. Go into the village of Wadenhoe and turn right from Mill Lane into Church Street. The car park is at the end of the road, past the pub on the left, to the Village Hall. The address is Church Street, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire PE8 5ST. We will then drive to the start at Thorpe Waterville to get in at around 6:30pm - see last week's message for directions. Hopefully there will be one or two non-swimmers who can drop the swimmers off at the start. If not, we'll figure something out.

Once again, please post on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the start, or expect to be late.

Thu, 9th Jun 2016 - 10:26 a.m.

I will be there unless around 5.30pm if it starts to get thundery (and looks like it might start lightening) as it did on Tuesday in which case I will pass.

I swam solo upstream at Wadenhoe last night. Water was 20 degrees on my thermometer but flow was bit stronger than normal, and water a little higher too. It should be a quick swim down.

Wed, 15th Jun 2016 - 4:06 p.m.

We had 18 swimmers last week and warm water.

This week's Nene Swim is the 5th leg, from Wadenhoe to Lilford, and is the most suitable for novice river swimmers. It is only 1.4 miles long (according to Mapmyrun)! and it's easy to get out earlier as well. If anyone is not very confident about the long distances, then this is the week to give it your first try! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39035798

We start at the King's Head pub in Wadenhoe, and will have to get out again straight away to cross Wadenhoe lock. From there the river goes through the open fields, under a footbridge and then along a wooded hillside to the lock at Lilford. We then get back in to do the final 200 meters or so, to the day's finish, on the left bank, right across the river from Lilford Hall (great view!). There is no access to the river from here right down to Oundle Mill, about 2 miles further downstream (next week's finish). In order to limit next week's swim to a feasible distance, we want to get out at the far end of the field, just before the fence. Bring some shoes for the walk back to the cars.

We will meet at the finish near Lilford for 6.15pm and then drive to the start in a few cars. Directions to the finish: on the A605, drive to the roundabout halfway between Oundle and Thorpe Waterville. Take the narrow road to Lilford and Pilton (to the right when coming from Peterborough). Follow the road down the hill and then over two humpback Nene bridges. We will meet at the car parking space 100m or so past the second humpback bridge on the right. There is parking space for 2 or 3 cars, and more space on the verges nearby.

Please advise on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the finish, or expect to be late.

We probably won't have Dave's big red van this week, so might need a few more cars to transport us all to the start.

See you on Thursday!

Thu, 16th Jun 2016 - 11:33 a.m.

19th May Leg 1.....Woodford - Denford...................1.73 miles.
26th May Leg 2.....Denford - Thrapston..................2.10 miles.
2nd June Leg 3.....Thrapston - Thorpe Waterville.....2.40 miles.
9th June Leg 4.....Thorpe Waterville - Wadenhoe.....1.90 miles.
16th June Leg 5.....Wadenhoe - Lilford....................1.40 miles.
23rd June Leg 6.....Lilford - Barnwell Mill.................2.02 miles.
30th June Leg 7.....Barnwell Mill - Ashton................2.13 miles.
7th July Leg 8.....Ashton - Cotterstock....................2.23 miles.
14th July Leg 9.....Cotterstock - Bluebell Lakes........2.00 miles.
21st July Leg 10....Bluebell Lakes - Warmington.......1.97 miles.
28th July Leg 11....Warmington - Elton Bridge...........2.04 miles.
4th Aug Leg 12....Elton Bridge - Nassington.............1.71 miles.
11th Aug Leg 13....Nassington - Wansford................2.48 miles.
18th Aug Leg 14....Wansford - Nene Valley Railway...1.90 miles.
25th Aug Leg 15....Nene Valley Railway - Castor.......1.90 miles.

Total 30 miles.

Thu, 16th Jun 2016 - 6:06 p.m.

Much as I look forward to Philip and Shaun's flapjack and coffee after a dip in the river, I'm afraid I'm not hard core enough to deal with thunder, lightning and heavy rain. Have a good swim anyone who braves it.

Fri, 17th Jun 2016 - 9:55 a.m.

It was sporadic and pretty much cleared up by the time we got to Wadenhoe Kate. If it had been thundering I would not have swum. It was quite warm at 17.5 degrees and we had a serious flow to sloosh us down the river.

Mon, 20th Jun 2016 - 9:34 a.m.

Doh! That'll teach me! Hope the flow is still there on Thursday, as I need to shoot off again straightaway to get to work on time! Glad it was warm and a decent swim was had by all.

Thu, 23rd Jun 2016 - 12:01 p.m.

We had another good turnout last week, with 14 swimmers in the river, in spite of the potential for lightening, which never materialised. We had a superb flow, which made it quite difficult to swim back. This week's Nene Swim is the 6th leg, from Lilford to Oundle Mill. Mapmyrun gives this as 2.02 miles. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39514478.

We start across the river from Lilford Hall, near the road to Pilton. We will get in where we got out last week (which wasn't really that muddy...). The river runs through quite a remote area here; not even the Nene Way footpath follows the river. The last half mile is closer to Barnwell Road, and then we get to Oundle Mill. The finish is at the lock.

As always, we will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then aim to drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, for a 6:30pm start. Oundle Mill is on the road from Barnwell to Oundle, see http://www.oundlemill.co.uk/find_us.aspx. There is a lot of car parking space on the road verge next to the lock; I guess you can also park in the restaurant car park across the river.

This is a tricky stage, as we always encounter rowing boats on this leg, practicing out of Oundle Town Rowing Club. It is essential that we keep together, and the lead swimmers don't get too far ahead, and keep stopping and either wait or swim back, at more frequent intervals. If you are likely to be too far behind, this is one to join in further downstream. Please be aware, and please keep to the right (as you swim toward Oundle), to minimise disturbance and risk.

Doing the whole length of this leg is less suitable for slower and less experienced swimmers, as it would spread out the swimmers too much - unless you make sure you have another swimmer with you and / or start a lot earlier. But it is of course also an option to start at Oundle and swim toward the others - as long as you make sure you are not swimming alone.

Important note: the Oundle Town Rowing Club have their weekly training session on the same stretch and around the same time. They start from Oundle and go upstream and back. It will therefore be important that we are well-disciplined at Thursday's swim because the rowers won't be able to see us coming. Please wear a brightly coloured swim hat, look out for boats and bring your orange swim floats if you have one.

We need to stay on the right side of the river (we downstream, and the boats upstream).
We also need to make sure that we stay together in one bunch, to minimise mutual disturbance, at least until we've had our "encounter". All swimmers will really have to stay within sight of each other, certainly up to when we will have encountered the rowers. The faster swimmers can swim ahead for 10mins or so, and then wait or swim back to pick up the others.

We will of course have to make sure to all be out before the rowers get back to Oundle, which is after 8pm. Which means we will do our best to start on time - leave Oundle Mill at 6.15 to be in the water in Lilford at 6.30. If you are late, please start from the Oundle end after the rowers have set off.

And if you are a bit less speedy and confident: as always you are very welcome, but for this leg it is better to start from the Oundle end - as long as you make sure you are not swimming alone. Please advise on the Forum if you are likely to be late, or intend to go straight to the finish.

See you there.

Thu, 23rd Jun 2016 - 12:41 p.m.

Hi Steve - Sadly I have just found out I can't make it tonight as we have a problem with our dog and the appointment at the vets is 6.00pm. I have to take her down to Bedford. May swim later in the evening perhaps at Wadenhoe. Cheers Shaun :)

Fri, 24th Jun 2016 - 12:22 p.m.

I wonder if the lady that took the group picture at Barnwell Mill last night would forward a copy to me?
Forgive me,but I don't know your name!
Philip(flapjack man).

Sat, 25th Jun 2016 - 10:49 a.m.

We had another good swim last Thursday, with 20 of us dodging the 3 rowing boats that were out. Thank you to them for their understanding. We had Dave's big red van again for the transfer to the start, and still needed 3 other vehicles. Thanks to all those who offered transport ... and flapjack.

This Thursday we are swimming from Oundle Mill to Ashton. The distance is 2.13 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39924614.

We start at Oundle Mill lock where we got out last week, swim past the entrance of Oundle Marina, cross one lock, then cross the A605 after just under 1 mile. We then start the wide loop on the east side of the A605, through fields and along wooded hills. We will get out at an old jetty just before the next lock.

The jetty where we get out is at the bottom of a grass path that runs down from the road between Ashton and Polebrook, 100 yards or so and on the opposite side from the Olive Grove nursery (Olive Grove Nurseries, Oundle Road, Polebrook, Northants, PE8 5LQ, http://www.olivegrovenurseries.co.uk/), towards Ashton. There is a gate about 100m from the nursery entrance, towards Oundle. We park on the verge of the road. We have to climb over the gate, and then it's about 100m down the track. We are not sure if it's totally legal, by the way. It's not a right of way, but at least there are no signs saying private or no access... So please be careful not to leave any litter or damage things.

As always we will meet at the finish (Ashton) at 6.15pm and then take a few cars to get to the start (Oundle/Barnwell Mill) for 6:30pm. Please confirm on the Forum if you expect to be late or will be going straight to the finish.

Looking forward to another good stretch of river and an enjoyable swim.

Tue, 5th Jul 2016 - 5:11 p.m.

This Thursday's swim is from Ashton to Cotterstock. The distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712.

The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last week (see last week's email for directions). There is a lock to cross after just 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Meet at Cotterstock at 6:15pm ready to be transported to Ashton for a 6:30pm start.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There are some (but not many) parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill - you may have to go further into the village.

Less confident swimmers could start from the Oundle boathouse - this is exactly halfway, so just over a mile to Cotterstock.

Last week we had 12 swimmers in a balmy 18.5 degrees. 4 of us were racing at the weekend in 12 degrees, so we have it good down here. The remaining destinations are on the Forum if anybody wants to look ahead.

Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or are going direct to the start.

Wed, 6th Jul 2016 - 8:02 p.m.

I would like to join the swim this week, but i won't have have much time to get there, I will try my best. My mobile number is 07779 270259.

Fri, 8th Jul 2016 - 11:31 a.m.

A suggestion was made at Cotterstock last night.
To aid swimmers getting out of the river,particularly at locks at the end of a leg,maybe the regulars could club-together and buy a collapsible/telescopic ladder.I have no personal experience of them,but they are probably quite lightweight and could be carried to the end of a leg along with the shoe-bag.
Have any of the regulars got any strong objections to the idea?
Answers on a forum near here!!

Mon, 11th Jul 2016 - 8:18 a.m.

Philip - I think it's a good idea and would be happy to contribute. We use them at work. They are aluminium and reasonably light.

Mon, 11th Jul 2016 - 11:47 a.m.

I have one that might do. Not sure that we need it at Bluebell Lakes this week, but I'll look into Warmington for next week.

Mon, 11th Jul 2016 - 1:34 p.m.

We had a good turnout of 16 last week, on another of Jaap's favourite stretches.

This week's swim is 2.0 miles from Cotterstock to Bluebell lakes, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/42119500

Like previous years, Tony at Bluebell Lakes Fisheries is happy for us to park on their premises and get in and out of the river, both this and next week. Please make sure to respect their property and their clients!

The swim starts at Cotterstock Lock where we finished last week. The river goes around the edge of Tansor, then goes on to the Bluebell fishing lakes. We will swim around the lakes, cross Perio Lock, get back in (it's really not done to walk the last bit from there back to the cars...) and then get out at the other end of the fishing lakes, near the car park. There is a good access point across the bridge from the car park.

Please note that the Bluebell Fisheries close at 9pm so we'll have to be away by then. Car access is over a narrow and bumpy road / track that starts from the road between Tansor and Fotheringhay. Coming from Peterborough on the A605, take a right at the roundabout near Warmington; go left at the T-junction toward Tansor, and then take the small road to the right after about 400m (it has Bluebell Lakes signs). Follow the road straight ahead, onto the gravel track, between two lakes, and on to the Reception where the car park is. The address is Bluebell Lakes, Tansor, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 5HP. If you are interested in seeing some of the monsters that hopefully don't make it from the lakes into the river: http://www.bluebell-lakes.co.uk/index.html. They would eat a turtle (if not a human being), but Jaap says that it's still one of his favourite stretches.

As always, we meet at the finish at Bluebell Lakes, around 6.15pm and then take a few cars to drive to the start at Cotterstock. Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or intend to go straight to the start.

See you on Thursday.

Wed, 13th Jul 2016 - 1:34 p.m.

Note: Bluebell Lakes officially close their gates at 8:00pm but will wait for us!

I've had a look at the exit points at both the lock and final exit and both are good without ladders this week. We can get out on the bank, 20 metres before the lock, and then get back in again ok.

Tue, 19th Jul 2016 - 10:01 p.m.

We had 11 swimmers last Thursday, on another great evening for river swimming, through the remote countryside north of Oundle. This Thursday we are swimming from Bluebell Lakes to Warmington Lock. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43629928. The distance is 1.97 miles according to Mapmyrun.

We start at the car park of Bluebell Lakes where we got out last week. Most of the route is through open fields, and we swim past Fotheringhay, with great views of the church and the castle site. We will swim under the Fotheringhay road bridge, and continue to the lock near Warmington, where we get out.

This is the only public access point downstream from Fotheringhay. This section has the longest walk from car park to entry / exit point: we will have to walk about 500 meters over a footpath through a field (usually with very confused looking sheep) to get to the car park. (The only alternative is to swim 3.5 miles between Fotheringhay and Elton ...)

The car park is at the Fired Earth kitchens store and the Elton Boat Club at Warmington Mill. Go to the A605 roundabout near Warmington and follow the signs to Warmington Mill (exit toward Fotheringhay / Tansor, and then take an immediate right after just a few meters), and you'll get to the car park. The address is Warmington Mill, Eaglethorpe, Warmington Peterborough PE8 6TJ.

We expect to have some kayak safety cover again this Thursday.

As before we are meeting at the finish at Warmington Mill at 6.15pm, aiming to get to the start at Bluebell Lakes for 6.30pm. Please advise on the Forum if you intend to go straight to the finish, or expect to be late.

Mon, 25th Jul 2016 - 4:58 p.m.

In addition to the above, does anyone fancy doing a Wadenhoe-Thorpe-Wadenhoe swim on Saturday morning? This would be about 4 miles, and I intend to do it as prep for the Coniston swim in 5 weeks time. Then of course there's always the Old Barn for a bit of light refreshment afterwards.......

Mon, 25th Jul 2016 - 5:16 p.m.

Hi Kate - I would do it, but we have company this weekend. Might be up for another weekday evening swim, and wouldn't mind filling in some of the stages of the NENE swim I've missed if we have two cars. See you Thursday Shaun :)

Mon, 25th Jul 2016 - 11:06 p.m.

Kate.
Wadenhoe-Thorpe-Wadenhoe has no appeal for me at all.But,I would be interested in principle to Shaun's idea of filling-in some of his Nene Swim gaps.However,bear in mind that August is peak holiday time,so lots of boats on the river!
Philip.

Tue, 26th Jul 2016 - 12:24 p.m.

Hi Kate - There have not been too many boats out in the evening, and I have swum the river most nights in the last week or so. During the day I think it will be busier as Philip says.

Tue, 26th Jul 2016 - 2:29 p.m.

We had another great swim again last Thursday, with 19 swimmers continuing the adventure. Thanks as usual for the coffee and flapjacks and to the 5 drivers in all who transported swimmers either to, or back to, the start. Thanks also for the shoe bag at the start and the ladder at the finishing lock, and to everybody for signing in.

This Thursday is the 11th leg of the Nene Marathon Swim; so just three swims to go to get to Wansford, and 5 to Castor.

We are swimming from Warmington Lock, past Elton Park and Elton, down to Elton Bridge (which is the roadbridge outside of Elton heading towards Fotheringhay / Nassington). Mapmyrun tells us this is 2.04 miles. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630166

Those who did the previous leg will know that the start is a 500 metre walk from the car park to the lock. This is a decent grassy track through a field. We will get in at the lock and swim alongside Elton Park and its woods. There is one lock to pass at Elton, and then it's about half a mile to the bridge, where we get out. There is some car park space on the Fotheringhay / Nassington side of the bridge, but more on the Elton side, along the bridleway where the road turns toward the bridge.

The plan is to meet at the Elton Bridge at 6.15pm, take 2 or 3 cars to drive up to Warmington and start the walk to the lock at 6.30pm. If you can't make it you can always go straight to the start. And if you are even later, you could still join the fun by swimming upstream from Elton Bridge and meet us en route.

Finally: we have been having great turnouts over recent weeks. It is important that everyone is aware that there are some risks associated to river swimming; that everyone is primarily responsible for their own safety (not Pactrac or any other individual); but that we also look out for each other. The key risk is getting hit by boats - this is why it is important to stay in groups, wear colourful caps and look up regularly. Other risks are stomach upsets (so don't swallow the water!) and trips&slips around the structures. And of course encounters with wildlife, especially swans and turtles... We've not had any serious incidents, but thought that we would raise awareness again so that we can keep it that way. Their is a Risk Assessment which you can find via this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEw-8T01JgedXJ0c2pCb0d2M0E/edit?usp=sharing. If you come along on the swim, you will have signed in with a copy of the RA on the back.

The lead swimmers seemed oblivious to the barge that was behind us last week. It must have taken it a good 10-minutes to overtake us! Please be aware of boats and move over for them.

Please advise on the Forum if you expect to be late, or intend to go straight to the start.

Wed, 27th Jul 2016 - 10:20 a.m.

Yes - will be there tomorrow Steve. Also hoping to go to Wadenhoe tonight if anyone fancies that. Still up for Saturday if anyone fancies all or part of it. The boat issue does bother me somewhat if there's only a couple of us though. The reason I chose the Wadenhoe stretch, is that it doesn't have any locks, and is easy to get in and out of at either end, thus giving a better simulation of straight swimming in Coniston. It has absolutely nothing, I repeat, nothing, to do with the lure of the Old Barn.......

Wed, 27th Jul 2016 - 10:20 p.m.

Message from Ana in Peterborough: "Is anyone driving from Peterborough doing the Nene swim tomorrow (leg 11 Warmington - Elton)? Looking for a lift. Otherwise might have to cycle there... 😬"

Mon, 1st Aug 2016 - 10:55 a.m.

This Thursday's swim is from Elton Bridge to Nassington, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630294. It's 1.71 miles according to Mapmyrun. which is a bit shorter than most of the previous legs.

We had 11 swimmers last week on another lovely evening with a very comfortable water temperature.

We will meet in Nassington at 6.15pm. Cars can be parked at the beginning of the village when coming from Elton / Fotheringhay, near the Nene Way footpath sign that leads to and from the river. There is plenty of space on the grass verge of the road. We will then drive to Elton Bridge, to be in the water at 6.30.

The route crosses a footbridge and then goes through open countryside until you see Nassington church in the distance. There is one weir on the right bank, with about half a mile to go. The finish is at the next footbridge. Depending on vegetation and fencing there are various places to get out - last year the best spot was on the left some 20 m beyond the bridge. It's quite a long walk back to the road, so it's wise to bring flipflops, as well as flapjacks.

Fri, 5th Aug 2016 - 10:22 a.m.

Thanks for waiting for me to catch up again last, on an enjoyable Elton to Nassington swim last night...

Mon, 8th Aug 2016 - 12:31 p.m.

This Thursday we will swim what used to be the last stage of the Nene swim marathon. This is from Nassington (the Nene Way footbridge) down to the old roadbridge in Wansford. Mapmyrun says 2.48 miles for this one, which makes it the longest of the 13 legs. http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630506. It is one of the most varied and interesting routes, crossing two locks and swimming along the Yarwell caravan park.

The plan is to meet at Wansford, by the Haycock Inn, and leave from there at 6.15pm, which should get us in the river around 6.30pm.

If you can't make this, or if you are not sure about the long distance, you could swim upstream from Wansford Bridge and meet the group; or join in at one of the locks. Please post on the Forum, here, if you plan to do this, or expect to be late.

We'll continue swimming in the Nene for a further 3 weeks: and head further downstream from Wansford to the Nene Valley Railway, and then from the NVR to Castor. We'll be into September by then, but their should be room to add one further stretch of river this year.

Mon, 8th Aug 2016 - 2:15 p.m.

We need to make sure we start as close to 6:30 as possible as the nights are drawing in especially as it is a longer swim.

Mon, 8th Aug 2016 - 2:36 p.m.

Very excited to let river swim PACTRAC'ers know that my brand new solar powered digital thermometer has arrived... Super accurate river temp readings from now on... (lol)

Mon, 8th Aug 2016 - 3:11 p.m.

No more 28 degrees then...

Mon, 8th Aug 2016 - 3:39 p.m.

Actually..... after testing, the digital reads the same as the analogue and another cheap one I have too! All reading air temp around 21.5 ouside my office... Nene at Wadenhoe was around 21 last night, 20.5 the night before... See you Thursday! Cheers Shaun :)

Tue, 9th Aug 2016 - 8:36 p.m.

The full 2.5 miles is a bit long for me so will do either Nassington to Yarwell or Yarwell to Wansford depending on what I can sort out with the logistics of lifts.

Tue, 9th Aug 2016 - 10:28 p.m.

If you need any help with you logistics Sue, let me know. See you Thursday. Does anybody want to swim at Wadenhoe tomorrow?

Fri, 12th Aug 2016 - 12:55 p.m.

Nice swim last night...

Fri, 12th Aug 2016 - 1:35 p.m.

Given the conversation at Wansford last night,if anyone does want the flapjack recipe,just drop me an email,it isn't a secret formula or magic potion!
Who knows,you could then join the flapjack production rota and ease the burden that John and myself carry!

Phil.

Tue, 16th Aug 2016 - 3:44 p.m.

The 13th leg of our 26.2 mile Woodford to Wansford Nene Swim, was completed last Thursday; with 15 swimmers, one Paddleboarder with a dog (Mutley) and 6 spectators enjoying the 2.5 mile stretch to Wansford. Thanks again to Dave, Liz and Arthur for the transport, Shaun for the coffee and Phil & Carol for the carbohydrates.

This Thursday, we will be venturing beyond Wansford and seeing what the Nene looks like east of the A1. We swam this leg from Wansford to the Nene Valley Railway in 2013 and again last year.

According to Jaap, this is one of the nicest stretches (although he does say that about every stretch).

The water temperature is still a very pleasant 19 degrees, so we are keen to enjoy it while we can; and with open-water races still happening, we will continue downstream for two more weeks after this.

We will swim from Wansford Bridge down to Stibbington, and get out opposite the NVR, on the Old Great North Road. This should be about 1.9 miles. See: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/283488897

The plan is to meet up at 6:15pm near the Nene Valley Railway Station, post code PE8 6LR. Then drive to the start in Wansford to get into the water (opposite The Haycock), around 6:30pm.

Please advise on the Forum here, if you expect to be late, or intend to go direct to the start. We will need to start on-time again this week, as the night's are drawing in.

Mon, 22nd Aug 2016 - 8:39 p.m.

We had 17 swimmers last Thursday. Thanks again to Dave, Sue, Arthur and Amy's friend for the transport, to Shaun for the coffee and to Phil and Sue for the nourishment.

Massive congratulations to PACTRAC's Jonathan Ratcliffe, who completed his solo Channel Swim last Friday in 11hours and 59mins of swimming. Jon's Charity link is on the Forum http://pactrac.co.uk/forums/topic/732/#new-posts

It looks like this Thursday will be the last section after all, as I am away next week. If anybody wants to swim on 1st September, I can forward a mapmyrun map of the next 1.7 miles, or the best option might be an out-and-back swim from either Wansford or Wadenhoe.

This Thursday's exploration of the Nene downstream from the A1, starts at the Nene Valley Railway where we left off last week. There is an exit point 1.9 miles downstream, not too far from Castor. The route passes Water Newton after about 1m, so their is also an option for a shorter swim. The route is on: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/285173273

The plan is to meet at the finish at 6:15pm. There is a Nene Trust car park at the end of Splash Lane in Castor; it's at the end of the bumpy (but drivable) track that starts where Splash Lane turns right. Splash Lane is the one-but-last driveable road on the right in Castor, as you head out towards Peterborough; it's got a signpost to the Woodlands Sports Centre.

The car park is about 5-6 minutes walk on the footpath through the field, from an idyllic spot on the river where we can get out. We will take some cars to the Nene Valley Railway Station for a 6:30pm start. We will need to be on time again, as the night's are drawing in and it's a much longer drive than 1.9m.

If you intend to go straight to the start, or expect to be late, please leave a message on the Forum.

Thank you to everyone who has taken part this year, and thank you to all those who haven't for bearing with the weekly emails:)

Mon, 22nd Aug 2016 - 9:55 p.m.

I'm away this Thursday unfortunately. Big thanks to everyone that has provided me with food, drink or a lift over the last couple of months.
Look forward to next year.

Tue, 23rd Aug 2016 - 9:58 p.m.

I'm hoping to be there - depends what time I get off work.

Wed, 24th Aug 2016 - 1:44 p.m.

Hello. I'll have to meet you at the start at NVR for 6:30. If someone could give me ride back to my car from the finish I'd be very grateful :)
Andrea.

Thu, 25th Aug 2016 - 2:10 p.m.

Sorry,but I won't be there this evening.
Double sorry because as John also can't make it,there won't be any flapjack unless.................!!
Have fun.

Phil.

Thu, 25th Aug 2016 - 4:32 p.m.

I'm coming too... Will; see you at castor 6.00 ish. Can run someone back if they know the way.

Mon, 29th Aug 2016 - 8:57 p.m.

Hi - great swim and good turnout last Thursday, down to Castor. I suggested being up for organising a next leg, venturing further downstream into Orton... I'd be keen to do that at some point, but this week won't work for us.

Mariska is keen to swim though, so we are suggesting to swim at Wadenhoe. We could do upstream and back; we could also do Thorpe to Wadenhoe if people prefer the logistical challenge.

So, in principle, meet at 6.15 at Wadenhoe, to start from there at 6.30. Let us know if you are planning to be there.

Tue, 30th Aug 2016 - 12:12 p.m.

Yes,I'll be there,and probably Sarah also.
I guess that I'll have to get cooking again!
Phil.

Wed, 31st Aug 2016 - 1:56 p.m.

How long/far are you thinking of swimming tomorrow night at Wadenhoe?

Wed, 31st Aug 2016 - 9:36 p.m.

Mariska says she would prefer swimming upstream and down again from Wadenhoe, to have flexibility on distance and time.

Thu, 1st Sep 2016 - 9:07 a.m.

Hi Jaap - I swam upstream at Wadenhoe last night and Saturday. On Saturday the current was strong and the water level very high, but last night it was fine. A swim up to the 'stump' on the corner which is 1250m. So up and down is about 50 mins to 1 hr and 2.5km. If some want to go further then guess they can. Just a note that the night comes in quickly now so we need to get off at 6.30pm/6.45 latest. I left Wadenhoe in the water around 7.15pm and it was almost dark when I got back last night and I encountered a boat even in the gloom.

PS: Water was 20.4 degrees.

Hope this helps

Shaun

Thu, 1st Sep 2016 - 11:58 a.m.

I also favour swimming "up and back".
Now,I must make some flapjack!

Phil.

Wed, 7th Sep 2016 - 12:11 a.m.

Mariska and I are meeting at Wadenhoe at 18:00 on Thursday for a quick dip, if anyone fancies joining us.

Wed, 7th Sep 2016 - 9:26 a.m.

Can't make it Thursday as my parents are here but may swim earlier in the day. Swam up to the stump last night, it was splendid at 19.8 degrees and should be warmer tonight due to the clement weather. Have fun.

Wed, 7th Sep 2016 - 11:32 a.m.

Kate,
I'd love to join you,but it's the Swineshead 10mile run on Sunday and I must get some miles under my belt.It's been too hot to run much this summer.
Have fun,
Phil.

Thu, 8th Sep 2016 - 3:25 p.m.

Kate,
Given the hours that you work,and the fact that I am retired.If you ever want someone to swim with you,it's worth getting in contact with me.
My phone-numbers and email address are fairly well known amongst Pactrac,but I don't do facebook or any other forms of that nonsense!
Phil.

Thu, 8th Sep 2016 - 4:02 p.m.

Hi Kate & Mariska - Might make it after all. Mum and Dad seem content to come and get out for a bit, and sit on the bench whilst I swim. See you at 6.00 but don't feel you have to wait or swim with me as I know you are faster. I am up there most nights swimming solo anyway. Hope to see you and others later ? Will bring coffee :)

Thu, 8th Sep 2016 - 5:07 p.m.

Good luck for Sunday Phil. Definitely up for a swim sometime. See you later Shaun. 19.8 sound lovely. : )

Wed, 14th Sep 2016 - 6:53 p.m.

Hello, is anyone swimming tomorrow? If so whereabouts? I haven't been for a few weeks and the forecast looks very good tomorrow.

Wed, 14th Sep 2016 - 11:05 p.m.

I am up for a swim tomorrow evening... Anywhere is OK.

Thu, 15th Sep 2016 - 7:53 a.m.

hey Shaun, wouldn't mind swimming from the stump. I keep hearing you mention it and not entirely sure where this is. 6pm?

Thu, 15th Sep 2016 - 11:54 a.m.

Hi Jane

OK no problem. The stump is 1250m upstream from the carpark at Wadenhoe and about 50mins to an hour for me to swim up and back. Will be there at 6.00pm and hope others can come along too (unless there is a plan for the main group to swim elsewhere?) . Cheers Shaun:)

Thu, 15th Sep 2016 - 3:45 p.m.

Hi Shaun, hi Jane. Unfortunately I can't make it this week, and neither can Mariska, as she has parent's evening. I did go last night however instead of going to the pool, and it was absolutely glorious. Beautiful sunset, lovely warm water, nearly ditched the wetsuit...... Have a good swim. I think the weather is set to change tomorrow, so I'm guessing it will start to cool down soon.

Thu, 22nd Sep 2016 - 2:30 p.m.

Anyone river swimming tonight? 22nd Sept?

Thu, 22nd Sep 2016 - 5:26 p.m.

Hey Shaun.. Not gonna get away from work gutted.. It's lovely tonight.. Was gonna bring some more chocolates.. Hey ho..

Thu, 22nd Sep 2016 - 8:28 p.m.

No problem Jayne. Bumped into legend David Coleman and his friend Lizzie on their way back as I started out. Went up to the stump and back. Temp dropped off a bit at 17.3 from last time, but OK. No shivers on exit after about an hour but the air temp dropped off to 13 degrees. I fiddled around at the stump taking it all in for a while, as I won't be doing many more now, before trundling back and enjoying the company of two large cygnets and the heron. See you soon. Missed your chocs... :)

Thu, 22nd Sep 2016 - 9:03 p.m.

Sounds idyllic.. Least you weren't on your own, I think it is random just bumping into people down the river. Better than the supermarket! . That's a 3 degree drop on the water temp from last week, if I remember rightly. Those chocolates are amazing! I went to Jesus green lido on Saturday on your recommendation. Was 18 degrees. Felt colder. Lovely retro pool: take care.. See you soon.

Fri, 23rd Sep 2016 - 2:01 p.m.

Hi Jayne - Yes Sunday, is the last day for Jesus Green. I will be making an appearance at some point over the weekend. The last day is usually fun.
See you soon

Tue, 27th Sep 2016 - 2:18 p.m.

Anyone swimming at Wadenhoe this week?

Tue, 27th Sep 2016 - 6:49 p.m.

There is a mass swim at Olney with the Ouse swimmers on Thursday night. Might do that. JG was fun on Sunday. 17 degrees but at least the sun came out for a while. See you soon. Off on SwimTrek next week Mon to Mon. In Turkey...

Wed, 28th Sep 2016 - 12:20 p.m.

Anyone fancy a swim at Wadenhoe later THIS afternoon?If so,please phone on 07754 166680
Sorry that this is very last minute,but life's like that sometimes!
Phil.
P.S.There won't be any flapjack!

Wed, 28th Sep 2016 - 10:03 p.m.

Would have done Phil, but didn't get away on time. Might try tomorrow, but it would be at around 6pm for half an hour...... Assuming I can get away on time.

Wed, 28th Sep 2016 - 10:13 p.m.

Sorry Kate,I can't do Thursday.In fact it would have to be next week now.Let's keep an eye on the weather and water-temp.
See ya!
Phil.

Fri, 30th Sep 2016 - 10:17 p.m.

Didn't get away on time anyway Phil, so would have let you down. : ( Will try for next week. Can make it earlier if easier, as am on nights. Will contact you nearer the time.

Fri, 30th Sep 2016 - 10:26 p.m.

Hello Kate,
All copied.Keep in touch.
Phil.

Mon, 3rd Oct 2016 - 10:54 p.m.

For those of us that still want to river-swim.
You may be interested to know that I had a lovely 1mile swim today at Wadenhoe,BUT,the water-temp was down to 14degs!
Hopefully,with settled sunny weather forecast for this week it may yet rise a little again.

Come on in folks,the water's lovely!!

Phil.

Thu, 6th Oct 2016 - 3:38 p.m.

Kate,
I've lost your phone number!!
Anyway,how about 15:30 tomorrow afternoon at Wadenhoe?
Phil.

Thu, 6th Oct 2016 - 5:13 p.m.

Hi Phil. 15:30 is great. See you tomorrow.

Wed, 12th Oct 2016 - 1:42 p.m.

Think I already know the answer to this, but will put it out there anyway - does anyone fancy a quick dip in the Nene at Wadenhoe on Friday afternoon (14th October)? Water temp was about 13 last week, so may be a bit cooler by now, so will definitely be a quick dip.......

Wed, 12th Oct 2016 - 2:46 p.m.

Kate,
"There's always one that comes over the bridge",and this time it's me!
Your call as to what time.
For your info,the weather forecast isn't too good for Friday,but,hey ho!
Phil.

Wed, 12th Oct 2016 - 9:45 p.m.

You two are hardcore :) I would be there if I wasn't working.

Wed, 12th Oct 2016 - 10:56 p.m.

Jayne,ha ha,excuses excuses!

Kate,I should perhaps qualify my involvement on Friday.I expect to be with Amy as she does a training-swim,but I would expect to be available sometime in the afternoon.

Phil.

Thu, 13th Oct 2016 - 2:00 a.m.

I think Amy is the hardcore one Jayne - she goes in without a wetsuit! Friday PM is fine for me Phil. Is 15:30 OK for you again?