Open Water Swimming. Woodford to Castor.

Tue, 8th May 2018 - 8:10 a.m.

For the next two Thursday's, we will be swimming in the River Nene at Wadenhoe (go past the pub to the Village Hall) at 6:30pm. Kayak cover provided. Depending on the water temperature, we will start the 30-mile Woodford to Castor Thursday night swims on either 24th or 31st May.

Thu, 10th May 2018 - 2:42 p.m.

Wadenhoe Village Hall car park is in use tonight, so we will be parking in the Church car park instead. It's only a 200m walk away from the river. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4395502,-0.5151349,753m/data=!3m1!1e3

From Stoke Doyle, drive past the 2 Wadenhoe turns, keeping straight on towards Aldwinkle and the Church car park will be on your left.

Tue, 15th May 2018 - 5:44 p.m.

Hi Thursday Nene swimmers - So sorry I can't join you for the river swimming this year as it clashes with the Sketching classes I run at the Old Barn in Wadenhoe. Someone else will have to do the coffee this year. I think I will still be swimming the same stages as you all with others, but probably on Wednesdays instead, when I am free. Having been persuaded to swim right through the winter in 'skins' this year for the first time, the 17.1°C for todays swim was positively baking! A year ago I would have thought swimming in sub 15° was madness, but I can't tell you how addictive it is and how well you feel after swimming in such cold water. Hard to explain but once you have done you will know, and be hooked. Have a great swim for 2018, and I will miss seeing you. :)

Wed, 16th May 2018 - 12:48 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up Shaun. What you mean is: you've taken enough ribbing about swimming with wet-suit swimmers and just can't take any more! You know where we are if you get a free Thursday evening. Always welcome. Now, where can I get a large coffee flask ...

Wed, 16th May 2018 - 1:38 p.m.

We will be swimming in the River Nene at Wadenhoe at 6:30pm tomorrow night. Wadenhoe Village Hall car park is in use again, so we will be parking in the Church car park instead. It's only a 100m walk away from the river. https://www.google.co.uk/…/@52.4395502,-0.515…/data=!3m1!1e3

From Stoke Doyle, drive past the 2 Wadenhoe turns, keeping straight on towards Aldwinkle and the Church car park will be on your left.

Kayak cover provided. Looking to start the 30-mile Woodford to Castor Thursday night swims on 24th May, that's next w- eek!

Fri, 18th May 2018 - 4:17 p.m.

24th May Leg 1.....Woodford - Denford...................1.73 miles.
31st May Leg 2.....Denford - Thrapston..................2.10 miles.
07th June Leg 3.....Thrapston - Thorpe Waterville.....2.40 miles.
14th June Leg 4.....Thorpe Waterville - Wadenhoe.....1.90 miles.
21st June Leg 5.....Wadenhoe - Lilford....................1.40 miles.
28th June Leg 6.....Lilford - Barnwell Mill.................2.02 miles.
05th July Leg 7.....Barnwell Mill - Ashton................2.13 miles.
12th July Leg 8.....Ashton - Cotterstock....................2.23 miles.
19th July Leg 9.....Cotterstock - Bluebell Lakes........2.00 miles.
26th July Leg 10....Bluebell Lakes - Warmington.......1.97 miles.
02nd Aug Leg 11....Warmington - Elton Bridge...........2.04 miles.
09th Aug Leg 12....Elton Bridge - Nassington.............1.71 miles.
16th Aug Leg 13....Nassington - Wansford................2.48 miles.
23rd Aug Leg 14....Wansford - Nene Valley Railway...1.90 miles.
30th Aug Leg 15....Nene Valley Railway - Castor.......1.90 miles.

Total 30 miles.

Tue, 22nd May 2018 - 3:41 p.m.

Summer is here, and it's time to start the full Nene swim from Woodford to Castor this Thursday 24th May. This is a great adventure, and has become an annual Pactrac tradition. You don't have to be a top swimmer to come along - we usually have the full range, all the way from breaststrokers to accomplished Ironman swimmers. Everyone is welcome. The faster swimmers either wait every now and again, or swim back.

We need to make a start, in order to reach Castor by September. This is now the eighth year that we are doing a Pactrac Nene Swim Marathon. We start at Woodford and then make our way to Castor, 30-miles downstream, in fifteen bite-sized chunks, on Thursday evenings. If you are new to this and want to get an idea, have a look at previous years' Forums, e.g. http://pactrac.co.uk/forums/topic/490.

The first stage is this Thursday, 24th May, from Woodford to Denford. The route is on MapMyRun: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/96296057

We will get in just upstream of the village of Woodford and swim down to Denford. MapMyRun says it's 1.73miles, so that's a good distance to start with. This is a really pleasant, open and rural stretch of the Nene. We will have our first lock to cross and will finish at the second lock. Denford is where the Nene Turtle was spotted seven years ago. Maybe he'll be waiting for us again.

The plan is to meet at the finish at Denford, and then share cars to the start. That makes it easier for most people to get home after the swim. So we will meet in Denford at 6.15pm, near Meadow Lane which leads to the lock where we will finish this leg. Meadow Lane is in the centre of the village, across the road from the petrol station / pub on the Denford High Street, you can't miss it.

We will then take a few cars (no big silver van this year, unfortunately), to drive to the start in Woodford. We will park at the end of Church Street; from Woodford's village green, take one of the narrow lanes to the bottom of the village and then turn right. Note there isn't much car parking space. From the end of Church Street there is a footpath; turn left just after the gate and you'll get to the river. We will start the swim at 6.30pm. If anyone is able to bring any designated drivers along, that would help a lot with the logistics.

If you are not confident to do the whole swim, you could come to the finish and swim upstream until you meet the others. Don't do this on your own (for safety), but there may be a few others interested - best to post on the Forum.

We will do a short briefing before the start and you will need to sign in and out. We will have kayak cover for most of the legs, but again, everyone still participates at their own risk. Their is a Safety Briefing attached, but please bring a brightly coloured hat, just in case we encounter any boats.

Can you also post on the Forum if you think that you might be late, or intend to do things slightly differently. The full 15 Stage swim is also on the Forum.

See you there.