Frostbite league 2018/19

Sun, 23rd Sep 2018 - 8:19 a.m.

Hi all,

It's time to start thinking cross-country running! The annual Frostbite Friendly League is starting again in two weeks' time. This means all of you are invited to six monthly races, 5 miles on varied courses, without entry fee, to compete for PACTRAC! This is an initial heads-up so that everyone can put the races in their diary.

The dates and fixtures are listed on the website: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/.

So these are the dates to put in your diary:
1st Race 7 October 2018 Riverside Runners Priory Park, St. Neots 
2nd Race 4th November 2018 Bushfield Joggers Nene Park (Ferry Meadows), Peterborough 
3rd Race 9th December 2018 Hunts AC Hinchingbrooke Park 
4th Race 13th January 2019 March AC March 
5th Race 3th February 2019 Bourne Town Harriers Bourne Woods 
6th Race 10th March 2019 BRJ Run and Tri Jubilee Park, Huntingdon

For those who are new to this. We've been a longstanding member of the league, organised by and for 16 local running clubs. Each race is about 5 miles, and happens on the 1st or 2nd Sunday of the month from October to March, starting at 11am. It is a team race in which the first seven men and the first three women count for the club. Entry is free. The only condition is that you have to be a member and wear some form of Pactrac kit. And there are trophies at the end of the year for the best male and female Pactrac runner of the series (who I get to pick so you know who you need to bribe).

Our results in recent years have been variable; we've won individual races, been top 3 as a team, and top half in the final standings; sometimes not quite. But the results are only a small part: Frostbites are very accessible, with 400+ fields ranging from 25 mins to 1h15. Even if you are not in our scoring teams, you will still be taking points off other teams. And they are good races to track your fitness compared with others, and compared with previous years. It is usually quite difficult for us to find enough women to race, so ladies are especially welcome.

Please note that there is also a Juniors Frostbite series for under 16s, with 1.5 mile races starting at 10.15 at the same venue. I'm not organising our team for this though - please speak with Sam Fielding if you are interested.

I will send reminder / rallying emails and Facebook posts in the week before each race - first one next week, ahead of 7 October's St Neots race. Put it in your diary! We will also be using the Website Forum and Pactrac's Facebook page for car sharing opportunities - please post there if you are looking for a ride.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 1st Oct 2018 - 7:19 p.m.

Next Sunday 7 October is the first race of the new season of the Frostbite Friendly League. See previous post / email for further information about the Frostbite series. As always, Race 1 is in Priory Park, Huntingdon Road in St Neots, starting at 11am. Directions are on:
http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race1_riverside_map.pdf

There are new instructions for parking. The organisers ask to avoid parking on Huntingdon road which runs along the park, and try instead to use Almond Road and Longsands School - see: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race1-StNeots-2018.pdf

This year's course isn't on the website, but I presume it's the same as in previous years: all in the Park; mostly on grass plus a few bits on forest tracks; no tarmac. Off road shoes or even spikes are an option, but if it's dry, normal running shoes are fine.

Please let me know if you are interested, preferably on the Forum or Facebook group, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com. It would be good to get a feel for who is running, so that we know if we have a complete team or not, and need to do some rallying.

Thanks
Jaap

Fri, 5th Oct 2018 - 8:31 p.m.

Hi,

It's looking like a lovely day for a run in the park this Sunday. We could do with a few more runners to make a full team. Hope to see you in St Neots, Priory Park, 11:00 start!

Btw, Sunday is the Frostbite League's 30th anniversary. There will be a bit of a ceremony with some of the founders at 10:40, for those that are interested.

Jaap

Sat, 6th Oct 2018 - 1:13 p.m.

Myself, Tom and Dustin are cycling there from Stilton at 8:40am along with 2 of the Frostbite founders and a couple who aren't running. I'll have some running vests but we only have tent-sized in the male tops.

Sun, 28th Oct 2018 - 7:36 p.m.

Hi all,

Good running last month, and nice to see a full team racing. All our scoring men finished in the top 200; but Sarah Caskey beat them (us) all in 73rd. As a team we came 14th out of 16th, so there is room for improvement.

Next week is the second leg. As always, this is organised by Bushfield, and like the last few years the race is at Ferry Meadows, in Orton, Peterborough. Race HQ is the Water Sports Centre there, and the start is nearby.

The organisers have asked if members of the other clubs are able to help with marshalling and other jobs. They will need 2 - 3 helpers per club. So please email beckyweek51@aol.com (cc myself) if you are able to volunteer, it would be much appreciated.

The course has not been confirmed, but is likely to be the same as last year's. This went clockwise around the large lake along the river; then an anti-clockwise loop through the woods; and then back. The surface is very varied, mostly offroad: grass, firm path, muddy path, firm path/tarmac, and then back over the same muddy path - firm path - grass. There is a short sharp hill halfway, just after crossing Milton Ferry Bridge. If there is any wind, you will feel it along the river. The distance last year was exactly 5 miles on my Garmin.

The start is at 11am, it is free to take part, it's a club race and everyone (from super fast to super slow) contributes, both by scoring points and by contributing to club feel (in random order)! All you need is to be a member and wear some form of Pactrac kit. Let us know if you need to buy any.

Vests to look out for when approaching the finish line next week are Thorney, C&C and Bushfield.

Please let me know if you are planning to run, preferably on the Forum or Facebook group.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 5th Nov 2018 - 10:22 a.m.

1 Josh Lunn...............26:36
2 Aaron Scott.............26:36
42 Tristan Matthews....30:51
49 Paul Lunn..............31:23
84 Sarah Caskey........33:03
91 Dustin Braband......33:13
94 Richard Wright......33:18
95 Jaap Flikweert......33:19
98 Ian Cushion.........33:27
157 David Talbot.......35:21
171 Chris Pike...........35:46
178 Steve Hope.........35:57
182 Kamila Wilczynska..36:04
199 Simon Pauffley.....36:39
296 Steve Skelhom......39:42
301 James MacWilliam...39:51
361 Willow Worthington.43:12
379 Sarah Haslam.......44:09
433 Nicholas Partridge.46:59

Juniors
24 Olivia Corner......09:02
120 Caileigh Coull....10:49
125 Libby Mellor......10:54
164 Chloe Moore.......11:42
186 Nathan Hyden......12:20
204 Nye Simpson.......13:04
208 Mathilda Simpson..13:20
216 Lucy Cushion......14:54
217 Zephyr Worthington.15:01
218 Joshua Moore......15:01

Full results are here: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Results/2018-19/FFL-2018-Race2-Nov.pdf

Sun, 2nd Dec 2018 - 6:54 p.m.

Hi all,

An amazing 1-2 at last month's 2nd leg at Ferry Meadows, from new / returning members Josh and Aaron. In general we had a decent turnout and good results. We had all our male scorers in the top 100, the usual great result from Sarah, and also from first-time team member Kamila. And some good teamwork from Nick P, sacrificing his own result by dragging Willow up the scoresheet.

As a team we were 9th; there were very few points between 4th and 10th, so we could easily have been even higher up. We are now in 13th overall.

Next Sunday is this year's 3rd Frostbite race, at Hinchingbrooke Park in Huntingdon. As always it starts at 11am and is free to enter, but you do have to be a member (you can sign up on the day) and wear club kit (let us know if you need any). There is a good competitive element, but Frostbites are also great social events to catch up with clubmates about race plans and boast about winter training or lack thereof.

The course hasn't been confirmed yet, but I'm sure it is the same or similar to the usual at Hinchingbrooke: a twisty and turny combination of grass, muddy and firm forest paths, plus a km of tarmac cycle path along a main road. Definitely one for offroad shoes because of the grassy and muddy bits, but not suitable for spikes because of the tarmac.

The parking arrangements are usually a bit complicated, but I haven't received information yet. Will confirm when we have.

Please let me know if you plan to race; preferably on the Forum or Facebook group, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 3rd Dec 2018 - 6:03 p.m.

Apologies, but the wife has booked me on a Cruise. I'll try to get some running tops there, if any runners are at Oundle tonight.

Wed, 5th Dec 2018 - 10:28 a.m.

Frostbite Friendly League Race 3 – Huntingdonshire Athletic Club
Hinchingbrooke Country Park - PLEASE CAR SHARE LIMITED PARKING NEAR TO PARK
Race HQ: Countryside Centre, Hinchingbrooke County Park, Brampton Road, Huntingdon, Cambs PE29 6DB
Both junior and senior races are within the park and are traffic free.
Car parking: Parking at following locations:
• Ample free parking at Hinchingbrooke Hospital.
o Permit must be shown, issued by marshals at entrance.
o Car park 1 – enter the car park and just park up. Leave when ready.
o Car park 2 – enter the barrier. Retain the yellow chip coin and before exit take the coin to the parking
hut or the main reception desk where it will be validated.
o 5-minute walk to race start.
• 150 free spaces in main car park.
o Permit must be shown, issued by marshals at entrance.
o Normally full by 10am.
Please do not park at Huntingdon race course, Hinchingbrooke Business Park or the Schools as we don’t have
permission. Huntingdon race course has horse race meeting on the same day!
Toilets: Within Visitors & Countryside centres
Race HQ - Countryside centre:
• Meeting & seated area
• Refreshments including: Tea, Coffee, rolls and cakes.
Course Terrain: Both races cover a mixed terrain surface including grass, un-surfaced muddy tracks, compact gravel
and tarmac footpaths. Not suitable for spikes. Recommend: ideally trail, or normal road shoes.
Start & Finish: On grass field at front of countryside centre. Junior starts at 10:15am, Senior at 11am

Sun, 9th Dec 2018 - 7:10 a.m.

If you also want the maps of the car parks, see:

http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Default%20Page/Race3_directions_2018.pdf

Jaap

Tue, 11th Dec 2018 - 1:10 p.m.

36 Mark Weathersby .... 31:46
86 Sarah Caskey ......... 34:52
98 Ian Cushion ............. 35:23
126 Andy Corner .......... 36:45
130 Chris Pike .............. 36:54
169 Simon Pauffley ...... 38:39
213 Louise Alexander .... 40:53
259 Willow Worthington .. 42:49
307 Angela Wallis .......... 46:11
385 Roy Mayhew ............ 54:30

Juniors:
34 Olivia Corner ...... 10:42
77 Elizabeth Eames . 11:37
115 Teddy Cowin .... 12:43
138 Caileigh Coull .... 13:20
142 Libby Mellor ...... 13:24
172 Chloe Moore ..... 14:34
182 Joshua Moore .... 18:09
183 Lucy Cushion ..... 18:11

Mon, 7th Jan 2019 - 10:17 a.m.

Hi all,

Happy new year!

We just about had a full team for last month's race - in fact 4 women and 6 men. Welcome to new team member Angela. The overall result was in line with our current League position, and a good time was had by all.

After the Christmas break the Frostbite circus will be back on the road next week. This will be at Whitemoor Prison in March. As always, it's a 5 mile run, starting at 11am and entry is free. All you need is some form of Pactrac kit and a valid membership. Let me know if you need either. Everyone is very welcome - you'll contribute to the team whatever your result, and it's a good social club occasion as well. The race HQ is March AC's Clubhouse on Longhill Road March PE15 OBL. There is limited parking, so please car share (or cycle in, like a proper triathlete) if you can. The parking directions are quite specific: see http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Default%20Page/Race4MarchACMap2018.pdf.

The website doesn't have course details yet, but I presume it's the same as last year: a mixture of grassy tracks (first 2 and last 2 miles) and tarmac (mile 3 and last 200m). This is normally not a very muddy course, but there could be slippery bits if we have more rain this week, so offroad shoes are an option. All flat apart from up and down some embankments, as you would expect in March. This is one race where it pays off to start a bit more to the front than normal, as there is a tight, bendy and slippery bit after just 200m.

It would be great to see a large group of Pactrac'ers again. You can see it as a good last test run for Folksworth 15 the week after. Or you can see it as a nice run in a friendly environment with a large group of runners of all abilities. Or as a chance to meet up and talk tri season planning with clubmates. Or even do it to help Pactrac get up the ranking. Or all of the above.

Let me know if you intend to run, preferably on the Forum or Facebook, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com!

Jaap

Sat, 26th Jan 2019 - 7:33 p.m.

Hi all,

Next Sunday 3 February is the next leg of the Frostbite season, in Bourne Woods. As always, the race starts at 11am, is free to enter, and all you need is some form of Pactrac kit (and a valid membership). This is the woodiest, most off-road and muddiest of the Frostbites, so it should be fun! Definitely one for off-road shoes.

We had a full team with good results at the last race (only 2 weeks ago) in March. Josh got his 2nd overall win! But overall the team did very well: we came 7th - and were only 3 points behind 6th. Think of that next week when you see the finish line! This puts us in 12th in the league. We are only 1 point above Bushfield, and not far behind Fenland, so keep an eye on those two teams.

The senior course in Bourne is almost the same as in previous years, but the finish has been moved a bit further down the path, aiming to reduce disturbance for other park users.

Parking arrangements are different from previous years, so please read carefully. Parking on the road / track between park and main road will not be allowed this time. It's best to plan for using the two car parks arranged in the town nearby; do allow 10-15 minutes for your walk to the start. The new main car park is at Warners Publications, Manor Lane (PE10 9PH). The second car park is at Bourne Westfield Primary School (PE10 9QS). Full info is on http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Default%20Page/Bourne_2019_info.pdf. A map of the car parks is on http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Default%20Page/Bourne_ParkingMap_2019.pdf

Let me know if you intend to run so that I have an idea of numbers. Also let us know if you need to buy Pactrac kit in order to take part.

Thanks,
Jaap

Sat, 2nd Feb 2019 - 7:08 p.m.

Hi all, I won't be able to make it to tomorrow's race, but Steve Hope will do the honours this time.

Very little response thus far - I'm sure there will be a few more!

Sat, 2nd Mar 2019 - 8:58 p.m.

Hi all,

Next Sunday is the last Frostbite of the season. Like the last two years, this will be in Jubilee Park just outside Huntingdon. Assuming the course hasn't changed, it's an interesting and different one, a big loop on firm field & farm tracks, finishing on the sports fields.

The Race HQ is located in the Club House in Jubilee Park, Kings Ripton Road, Huntingdon PE28 2NR. Car sharing is recommended.

We had a full team of 6 men and 4 women at the last race. First man for Josh, second woman for Sarah, so that's excellent. Georgina didn't just score: her result was just enough to beat Ramsey! We came 13th on the day, and are now also 13th in the overall. We are just 1 point behind Bushfield - so watch out for the blue tops next week!

As always, everyone is welcome, you just need to be a member and have some form of club kit (let me know if you need any). There is no entry fee, the start is at 11am, let me know if you plan to be there.

The last race will also decide the PACTRAC Frostbite Runner of the series trophies. For the ladies it's hard to see Sarah Caskey miss out on her third in a row. For the men there is still a battle between Ian Cushion and Chris Pike who both did all five races.

Thanks,
Jaap

Wed, 6th Mar 2019 - 1:32 p.m.

Unf, I can't make this one. A select band of seven PACTRACers are cycling in Majorca from this Sunday. The secret seven can't be named - otherwise it wouldn't be a secret.

Sat, 9th Mar 2019 - 10:29 a.m.

Hi all, Mariska and I are both injured, so we may not make it for tomorrow's race. I've only heard from Nick Partridge that he's planning to race. Anyone else?

Sat, 9th Mar 2019 - 6:53 p.m.

Their was talk of running in the Frostbite, at today's Stanground session. Also Tom Moorhouse was looking for a vest. Can you let Nicholas have the running kit, although he was strapped up at today's Stanground session, so may only be a possible.

Sat, 9th Mar 2019 - 6:56 p.m.

Nick confirmed he's injured, but Paul Lunn confirmed that he is running. I'm sure there will be at least a few others. I'll send an email to all to see what we can organise.

Sat, 9th Mar 2019 - 7:27 p.m.

As Steve Hope isn't running either, there are a few things that the others will need to pick up:

1. Envelope: the Juniors' section will have picked this up in the morning, so it will be at the Pactrac flag / tent. Someone has to get all our finishers' tickets, write the placing behind each finisher's name on the form, and summarise the results in the table on the envelope. So: bring a pen!! And then hand the form back to the organisers: this is Sue Merritt, who is always near the finish line with a blue / yellow Werrington coat and ribbons in her hair.

2. Runners of the year trophies: these will be available, probably from Sue Merritt. Could someone please pick them up, and then we can arrange to get them to me.

3. Pactrac running kit: Steve Hope tells me there may be at least one new runner (Tom Moorhouse) who will need a vest. Could anyone who's racing please bring any spare Pactrac kit to the race, just in case?

Sun, 10th Mar 2019 - 7:04 p.m.

Hi all, well done to those that raced this morning. Another win for Josh, and a good enough turnout to sustain our 13th place in the overall.

Please let me know who has the trophies so that I can get them to the winners - to be confirmed who they are.