Frostbite league 2018/19

Sun, 23rd Sep 2018 - 8:19 a.m.

Hi all,

It's time to start thinking cross-country running! The annual Frostbite Friendly League is starting again in two weeks' time. This means all of you are invited to six monthly races, 5 miles on varied courses, without entry fee, to compete for PACTRAC! This is an initial heads-up so that everyone can put the races in their diary.

The dates and fixtures are listed on the website: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/.

So these are the dates to put in your diary:
1st Race 7 October 2018 Riverside Runners Priory Park, St. Neots 
2nd Race 4th November 2018 Bushfield Joggers Nene Park (Ferry Meadows), Peterborough 
3rd Race 9th December 2018 Hunts AC Hinchingbrooke Park 
4th Race 13th January 2019 March AC March 
5th Race 3th February 2019 Bourne Town Harriers Bourne Woods 
6th Race 10th March 2019 BRJ Run and Tri Jubilee Park, Huntingdon

For those who are new to this. We've been a longstanding member of the league, organised by and for 16 local running clubs. Each race is about 5 miles, and happens on the 1st or 2nd Sunday of the month from October to March, starting at 11am. It is a team race in which the first seven men and the first three women count for the club. Entry is free. The only condition is that you have to be a member and wear some form of Pactrac kit. And there are trophies at the end of the year for the best male and female Pactrac runner of the series (who I get to pick so you know who you need to bribe).

Our results in recent years have been variable; we've won individual races, been top 3 as a team, and top half in the final standings; sometimes not quite. But the results are only a small part: Frostbites are very accessible, with 400+ fields ranging from 25 mins to 1h15. Even if you are not in our scoring teams, you will still be taking points off other teams. And they are good races to track your fitness compared with others, and compared with previous years. It is usually quite difficult for us to find enough women to race, so ladies are especially welcome.

Please note that there is also a Juniors Frostbite series for under 16s, with 1.5 mile races starting at 10.15 at the same venue. I'm not organising our team for this though - please speak with Sam Fielding if you are interested.

I will send reminder / rallying emails and Facebook posts in the week before each race - first one next week, ahead of 7 October's St Neots race. Put it in your diary! We will also be using the Website Forum and Pactrac's Facebook page for car sharing opportunities - please post there if you are looking for a ride.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 1st Oct 2018 - 7:19 p.m.

Next Sunday 7 October is the first race of the new season of the Frostbite Friendly League. See previous post / email for further information about the Frostbite series. As always, Race 1 is in Priory Park, Huntingdon Road in St Neots, starting at 11am. Directions are on:
http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race1_riverside_map.pdf

There are new instructions for parking. The organisers ask to avoid parking on Huntingdon road which runs along the park, and try instead to use Almond Road and Longsands School - see: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race1-StNeots-2018.pdf

This year's course isn't on the website, but I presume it's the same as in previous years: all in the Park; mostly on grass plus a few bits on forest tracks; no tarmac. Off road shoes or even spikes are an option, but if it's dry, normal running shoes are fine.

Please let me know if you are interested, preferably on the Forum or Facebook group, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com. It would be good to get a feel for who is running, so that we know if we have a complete team or not, and need to do some rallying.

Thanks
Jaap

Fri, 5th Oct 2018 - 8:31 p.m.

Hi,

It's looking like a lovely day for a run in the park this Sunday. We could do with a few more runners to make a full team. Hope to see you in St Neots, Priory Park, 11:00 start!

Btw, Sunday is the Frostbite League's 30th anniversary. There will be a bit of a ceremony with some of the founders at 10:40, for those that are interested.

Jaap

Sat, 6th Oct 2018 - 1:13 p.m.

Myself, Tom and Dustin are cycling there from Stilton at 8:40am along with 2 of the Frostbite founders and a couple who aren't running. I'll have some running vests but we only have tent-sized in the male tops.