Swimming the Nene

Wed, 1st Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

Just a quick message about a charity event that I'm organising with colleagues and that Pactrac members may be interested in. Please pass on to anyone not on the forum; if possible, could anyone also send this around to the Pactrac email distribution list?

In November 2010 my colleague Stuart Niven was involved in a serious accident in which he sustained life changing injuries. To help him on his road to recovery, his colleagues at Royal Haskoning are organising various events to raise funds to help with care, support and equipment. One of those events is a marathon swim down the River Nene, 26 miles from Woodford to Wansford, in weekly stages. See:
http://www.stuartniven.co.uk/stuart-niven-swim-nene.html?sp=&v=2&EN=58958&ms=

The first stage is this Thursday, 2 June. from Woodford to Denford / Thrapston. The route is on MapMyRun:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/28768270

We plan to get in just upstream of the village of Woodford and swim down to Denford. We could get out in Denford, after about 1.7 miles (because there is access from the public roads), or go further downstream to Thrapston bridge (about 2.5 miles); we'll see how we go. This is a really nice, open and rural stretch of the Nene. We will have our first 1 or 2 locks to cross. When I swam there last year I spotted some fascinating wildlife, but I won't spoil the fun by revealing what I saw until you are all there...

In principle the plan is to swim weekly on Thursday night, but we can be flexible depending on who wants to swim and when they can make it. We will carry out a risk assessment and will probably ask you to sign a form before the start.

All the Royal Haskoning swimmers are of course doing this for charity and are looking for sponsorship. So if you come along, we would appreciate a contribution!

Please note: we have an additional driver to take us back from the end point to the start, but no spare capacity at the moment. So if you come along, please try to bring along a driver for transport! Please keep me informed and I'll try to coordinate.

Thanks,
Jaap

Wed, 1st Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

In relation to my last post: does anyone have a digital version of a practical risk assessment / liability waiver form for open water swimming? For example the ones we used to use at Rupert's lake?
Thanks,
Jaap

Sun, 5th Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Jaap,
can you post starting location and time for next leg , as I would like to join you this thursday?

Wed, 8th Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi Steve and others,

Yes, very happy to keep posting the details of our Nene Swim! We had a good number of Pactrac swimmers and supporters at last week's first leg. Do let me know (via the forum or otherwise) if you intend to come, because the logistics are a bit more complicated with one-way swims. Here goes:

Last week's first leg was a great success (see http://www.stuartniven.co.uk/stuart-niven-swim-nene-diary.html), so I guess we'll keep going! Good spread of abilities, so the better swimmers got a chance to do their Ironman training by swimming up and down to keep the slower ones company. Everyone is welcome!

The second leg is tomorrow, Thursday 9 June, from Denford through Thrapston. We'll get in where we got out last week, at Denford lock. We will swim through Thrapston, crossing the A14 and the old Six Arches Bridge and get to Thrapston lock. We'll then do another kilometer or so along Thrapston marina to get to appr 2.1miles. The route (this leg only) is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/36511742.

Logistics
We thought we'd try a different approach with the logistics. Instead of leaving our cars at the start, it might be better to park at the finish and then be driven to the start. This avoids having to be driven back to the start after the swim, and leaves everyone free to go when they want. It's a bit more complicated at the start though, but let's see how we go. So what we do is:
- be at Thrapston marina for 6.15
- we will have at least two cars to drive everyone to the start at Denford, where we all change into our wetsuits
- Jerre, and any other non-swimming supporters drive back to Thrapston with our clothes bags

If you are late and can't make it to Thrapston in time, you can always go to Denford directly and someone can drop you back there after the swim; only if needed though. Call me on my mobile if you're late or can't find your way: 07887 632814.

Directions
To get to the finish location in Thrapston is a bit complicated. The address is Meadow Lane, which is near the town centre and starts at the Thrapston sports club (Chancery Lane / Green Lane). At the sports club playing fields, take a left into the wooded dirt road (this is Meadow Lane) and follow it until you get to a footbridge. To the left there is a low bridge across a stream, with a gate. It's a private road from there, owned by the Sailing Club. I've contacted them to confirm that we can get in, and I'll confirm before tomorrow what they say. Once over this low bridge, follow the road until you can go no further (there's another gate for the angling club). The finish of this leg is just beyond that point. Note: you can only get there by car from Thrapston town centre, not from Islip.

For those who go straight to Denford: you can get to the lock over the bridleway that runs from the village centre (petrol station, pub).

Please confirm if you plan to come along, so that we have an idea of numbers (if only for planning tea & cakes!).

Jaap

Hi all,

Just to confirm that we will be able to park inside the gates of the Sailing Club. They suggest to park opposite 'Gate 1' (wherever that is).

They are very friendly and have invited us to make use of their changing rooms, showers and bar as well!

On top of that, they've got an Evening Telegraph journalist visiting them next week Thursday and have put me in touch with her, so we should get some publicity out of it! Will keep you informed.

See you tomorrow.

Jaap

Here's some better directions to the sailing club in Thrapston, where we will meet tomorrow at 6.15:

http://www.middlenenesc.co.uk/Joining/Location%20Map.html

Jaap

Jaap, I should be over at Thrapston marina around 18.00 thursday.

Mon, 13th Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Jaap, please can you provide details for swimming this week. I'll be there. Thanks

Tue, 14th Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

After last week's swanny excitement (see http://www.stuartniven.co.uk/stuart-niven-swim-nene-diary.html), this week's swim is from Thrapston marina to Thorpe Waterville. This will be about 2.4miles, so that's a bit longer than the previous swims. And longer than an Ironman swim! (just 112 miles to ride and 26 miles to run...). See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37200472/ for this week's route. Next week's swim (down to Wadenhoe) will again be bit shorter, at 1.9m.

The river snakes through the Thrapston lakes and Titchmarsh nature reserve on this leg, with a footpath on the bank for most of the way (so Gerry can come along to take pictures and chase away any swans). We'll cross a few footbridges and then get to Titchmarsh lock and marina after about 1.8m. We'll cross the lock, and then it's just a few 100 meters to the finish.

As last week, the plan is to meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start to get going around 6.30pm. The finish is the Nene bridge just West of Thorpe Waterville. Thorpe is on the A605. Coming from Peterborough, take a right just before The Fox Inn. Then follow signs to Aldwincle, taking a left at the fork in the road. The finish is just a few 100m from Thorpe, at the second bridge; there are 1 or 2 spaces on the right and two more on the left. If this is full, there are further spaces beyond the bridge, or you could park on a verge in or near Thorpe.

If you've got a full car + driver anyway, then by all means go straight to the start. However, if you've got a driver and spare spaces, then please come to the finish so you can help getting others to the start. If you are late and on your own, then you can also go straight to the start and we should be able to get you back to your car afterward (but try to avoid this if you can). In any case, please let me know in advance so we can plan things (and call me if things change on the night).

The start is (as always) where we finished last week, at Thrapston marina. Let me know if you need directions (and you haven't got them from last week's emails). I hope to hear more about the ET Northants journalist that was going to be there, and will let you know.

Mariska and I are organising a Soup, Bread & Dips Thing after the swim in our house in Titchmarsh. It's just 2 miles from the finish (address: 16 Church Street, NN14 3DB). Please let me know if you are interested so we can plan for numbers.

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Sun, 19th Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

This week's swim will be from Thorpe Waterville to Wadenhoe. It's 1.9m (according to Mapmyrun), so that's quite a bit shorter than last week. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/37200776.

This section is very rural and remote. It goes through fields and some woodland, past the old Church of Wadenhoe on the top of the hill, and then finishes in Wadenhoe, right next to the King's Head pub's beergarden. There are plans to check whether the pub can serve food or snacks when we arrive; we'll keep you informed.

The plan is once again to meet at the finish at 6.15pm. There is plenty of parking space at the pub. Go into the village of Wadenhoe and turn right from Mill Lane into Church Street. The car park is at the end of the road, past the pub on the left. The address is Church Street, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire PE8 5ST. We will then drive to the start at Thorpe Waterville to get in. Hopefully there will be one or two non-swimmers who can drop the swimmers off at the start - please bring someone if you can twist their arm! If not, we'll figure something out.

I won't be swimming on Thursday (I'll do this bit some other time...). On the day, please contact Mariska or Pippa in case of problems or questions. Please confirm by email or otherwise if you plan to come along.

Good luck on Thursday!
Jaap

Mon, 27th Jun 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

This week's Nene Swim is the 5th leg, from Wadenhoe to Lilford. Hold your breath: just 1.4 miles (according to Mapmyrun)! Easy! If anyone is not very confident about the long distances, then this is the week to give it your first try! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39035798

We start at the King's Head pub in Wadenhoe, and will have get out again straight away to cross Wadenhoe lock. From there the river goes through the open fields, under a footbridge and then along a wooded hillside to the lock at Lilford. We then go back in to do the final 200 meters or so to the day's finish, on the left bank, right across the river from Lilford Hall (nice view!). There is no access to the river from here down to Oundle Mill, about 2 miles further downstream (next week's finish), so we want to get out at the far end of the field, just before the fence.

We will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, hopefully. Directions: on the A605, drive to the roundabout halfway between Oundle and Thorpe Waterville. Take the narrow road to Pilton and Lilford (to the right when coming from Peterborough). Follow the road down the hill and then over two humpback Nene bridges. We will meet at the car parking space a 100m or so past the second humpback bridge on the right. There is parking space for 2 or 3 cars, and more space on the verges nearby.

Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements.

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Tue, 5th Jul 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

This week's Nene Swim is the 6th leg, from Lilford to Oundle Mill. For some reason, people don't believe me when I tell them about distances, but Mapmyrun says that this is only 2.02 miles! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39514478.

We start across the river from Lilford Hall, near the road to Pilton. I will get in where we got out last week (which wasn't really that muddy), others may choose to take the easy option further upstream. The river runs through quite a remote area here; not even the Nene Way footpath follows the river. The last half mile is closer to Barnwell Road, and then we get to Oundle Mill. The finish is at the lock.

As always, we will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, hopefully. Oundle Mill is on the road from Barnwell to Oundle, see http://www.oundlemill.co.uk/find_us.aspx. Note that at the moment you can't drive from Oundle to Oundle Mill, so from Peterborough you will have to follow the A605 to Barnwell and then take a right into Barnwell Road towards Oundle. There is a lot of car parking space on the road verge next to the lock; I guess you can also park in the restaurant car park across the river.

Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements.

Here is a link to the sponsor form that you can use to raise contributions from family, friends and colleagues: http://www.stuartniven.co.uk/documents/swim-sponsor-form.pdf. In case anyone asks: there is no Gift Aid because unfortunately as an individual, Stuart is not eligible for charitable status. By the way, we are doing well with the Swim for Stuart tin that we bring every week, I think we are over £300.

See you on Thursday, good luck with the fundraising!
Jaap

Sun, 10th Jul 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

This Thursday we are swimming from Oundle Mill to Ashton. The distance is 2.13 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39924614.

We start at Oundle Mill lock where we got out last week, swim past the entrance of Oundle Marina, cross one lock, then cross the A605 after just under 1 mile. We then start the wide loop on the east side of the A605, through fields and along wooded hills. We will get out at an old jetty just before the next lock.

The jetty where we get out is at the bottom of a grass path that runs down from the road between Ashton and Polebrook, opposite from the Olive Grove nursery (Olive Grove Nurseries, Oundle Road, Polebrook, Northants, PE8 5LQ, http://www.olivegrovenurseries.co.uk/. There is a gate about 100m from the nursery entrance, toward Oundle. It will be possible to park on the verge of the road. When we checked we had to climb over the gate, and then it's about 100m down the track. We are not sure if it's totally legal, by the way. It's not a right of way, but at least there are no signs saying private or no access... So please be careful not to leave any litter or damage things.

As always we will meet at the finish (Ashton) at 6.15 and then take a few cars to get to the start (Oundle Mill). Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you.

For those interested in trying the Nene without a wetsuit...: on 7 August the Outdoor Swimming Society are organising the River Nene Swimming Championship, on the stretch where we swam last Thursday. Have a look:
http://www.outdoorswimmingsociety.com/index.php?p=events&s=&id=80#August

See you on Thursday ,
Jaap

Sun, 17th Jul 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

14 of us last week.
Jaap Flikweert, Mariska Niemeiyer, Kate Armstrong, Steve Hope, Steve Skelhon, Carol Smallman, Emma Cranfield, Sally Pinneger, Christine Reid, Andy Willis, Tony Moran, Will Pearson, Pippa Lawton, Patrick Woods.

We always wait for the backmarkers or swim back every so often, so nobody gets lost.

Tue, 19th Jul 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

This Thursday's swim is from Ashton to Cotterstock. The distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712.

The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last week (see last week's email for directions). There is a lock to cross after just a 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There should be enough parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill.

Mariska and I won't be there as we'll be in Antwerp for our race on Sunday. So make sure you have a good look at the maps so that you know where you're going. And be safe!

Please confirm to Pippa Lawton (p.lawton@royalhaskoning.com) if you are planning to swim. Her mobile is 07837 657788.

Jaap

Tue, 26th Jul 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

It was a bit more difficult than thus far, but we've managed to find another decent access point 2 miles on from last week: at Bluebell Lakes between Tansor and Fotheringhay. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/42119500

The route starts at Cotterstock Lock where the swim finished last week. The river goes around the edge of Tansor, then goes on to the Bluebell fishing lakes. We will swim around the lakes, cross Perio Lock and then get out at the other end of the fishing lakes, near the car park. There is a very good access point across the bridge from the car park.

We spoke with the owner of the Bluebell fishing lakes and he was very happy to have us use the car park. Do note that they close at 9pm so we'll have to be away by then. Access is over a small road that starts from the road between Tansor and Fotheringhay. Coming from Peterborough on the A605, take a right at the roundabout near Warmington; go left at the T-junction toward Tansor, and then take the small road to the right after about 400m (it has Bluebell Lakes signs). Follow the road straight ahead, onto the gravel track, between two lakes, and on to the Reception where the car park is. The address is Bluebell Lakes, Tansor, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 5HP.

As always, we meet at the finish around 6.15pm and then take a few cars to drive to the start at Cotterstock. Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you.

If anyone is interested in swimming the previous leg (Ashton to Cotterstock): Mariska, Pippa and I missed the swim last week so we're planning to do it on Sunday. Let us know if you're interested in coming along.

For those new to this topic on the forum: all levels are welcome and usually turn up, from breaststroke swimmers to Ironman athletes. We won't leave you behind! And there's usually cakes & tea as well. Do consider bringing a contribution for our colleague Stuart Niven (see first message on this topic) because that's why we're organising this in the first place.

See you on Thursday!

Jaap

Tue, 2nd Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi,

This Thursday's swim will be from Bluebell Lakes to Warmington Lock. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43629928. The distance is 1.97 miles according to Mapmyrun.

We start at the car park of Bluebell Lakes where we got out last week (although there are a few who may have to get in at the lock, to make up for last week...). Most of the route is through open fields, past the village of Fotheringhay, and then on to the lock near Warmington, where we get out.

This is the only public access point downstream from Fotheringhay. It's not ideal because we will have to walk about 500 meters over a footpath through a field to get to the car park. But there isn't really a good alternative (apart from swimming 3.5 miles between Fotheringhay and Elton). The footpath is okay for walking.

The car park is at the Fired Earth kitchens store and the Elton Boat Club at Warmington Mill. Go to the A605 roundabout near Warmington and follow the signs to Warmington Mill (exit toward Fotheringhay / Tansor, and then take a right after just a few meters), and you'll get to the car park. The address is Warmington Mill, Eaglethorpe, Warmington Peterborough PE8 6TJ.

The plan is to meet at the finish in Warmington slightly earlier this week, at 6pm. This is because it is starting to get dark earlier. We then take a few cars to the start at Bluebell Lakes and should be getting into the water toward 6.20 - 6.30. Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you before we set off. As the Smallmans are in Germany to do their Ironman, Arthur won't be there to transport bags and car keys. So if anyone is able to drag along a chauffeur / bag transporter, that would be great. Let us know if you've got someone!

We've done a bit of forward planning, and it turns out that there is only 3 legs to go after this one to get us to the finish line in Wansford! And the distances per leg seem to work out okay. However, we will be away on holiday for two weeks after this week. So the plan is to skip a few weeks and then start again early September after the holidays. Of course everyone is free to organise their own swim, for example do your favourite stretch, or one that you missed the first time around...

We are thinking of doing the last leg down to Wansford on a weekend day to make a bit of a charity event out of that, including barbecue etc. More to follow as the plan develops, let us know what you think and if you've got good ideas. And start warming up your friends and family to come down to cheer us on!

See you on Thursday,
Jaap

Wed, 3rd Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Is there room for one more..Will try to keep up with you speedy guys!

Hi Steve,

You are very welcome! Don't worry about speed, we've got someone who has done breaststroke all the way from Woodford. The quicker swimmers just come back for the slower ones.

See you tomorrow!
Jaap

Jaap

I'll be swimming.

Thanks

Rob

Thu, 4th Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hey if anybody was like me and wimped out of tonight's leg from Bluebell Lakes to Warmington cos of the weather you can join Chris Reid and me next Tuesday night (Aug 9) at 6pm. Same drill as above. Text me if interested 07725 401456 or email fitnaturally@me.com

Sal

Fri, 5th Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi Sally. The water was warmer than last week. 14 of us there. Just to let you know that the owner, Tony, did come out to see what we were up to as he was only expecting us to park there for one Thursday. We did explain what we were doing, and that we would be parking there for two Thursday's and he was ok with that.

Sat, 6th Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

As Jaap, Mariska, Pippa and Patrick are unavailable at various times over the next 3 weeks, we will resume the trip to Wansford on Thursday 1st September. In the meantime, there will be a swim this Thursday night from Wadenhoe Village Hall at 6:00pm. We will, therefore, be getting in and out at the same place, so will have the unusual experience of doing part of the swim against the stream.

Sun, 7th Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Cheers Steve, do you think I should contact him before Tues?

Sal

Sun, 7th Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Might be an idea, in case we need to use the facilities again sometime. He is pretty ameinable. Jaap might have the number. Getting in at Tansor Boat House would add another 2k onto the swim. Looking at the map, there may be another entry point close to the Fotheringhay to Oundle road, but I don't know it specifically.

Sun, 28th Aug 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

The Nene Swim starts again on Thursday 8 September (Warmington - Elton); more details next week. In the meantime there will be people swimming at Wansford Bridge next Thursday (1 Sept) at 6pm. There has been a decent group swimming from there over the last few weeks. Typically up and down to Yarwell Lock, about 45 mins, so a bit less heroic than the marathon sessions.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 5th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

I know you're all impatient to fight off those swans again - well, the Nene Swim continues this Thursday!

We are swimming from Warmington Lock, past Elton down to Elton Bridge (which is the roadbridge to Fotheringhay / Nassington). Mapmyrun tells us this is 2.04 miles.

Those who did the previous leg will know that the start is a 500 meter walk from the car park to the lock. This is a decent track through a field. We will get in at the lock and swim alongside Elton Park and its woods. There is one lock to pass at Elton, and then it's about half a mile to the bridge, where we get out. There is some car park space on the Fotheringhay / Nassington side of the bridge, but more on the Elton side, along the bridleway where the road turns toward the bridge.

The plan is to meet at the Elton Bridge at 6pm, take 1 or 2 cars to drive up to Warmington and start the walk to the lock at 6.15. We can't really plan anything earlier because people have to come from work, but as the night is starting to draw in, please make sure you are on time. In principle we will stick to these times; let me know if you think you might be late.

There are just two legs to go after this one: down to Nassington (1.7 miles, on 15 September) and then the last one down to Wansford (2.5 miles). We are planning to do the last one in the weekend of 24/25 September: it would be good to make a bit of an event out of that, hence the more heroic distance of 2.5 miles! We would at least like to do a bit of a picnic, or have lunch / dinner at the pub in Wansford, or something else to celebrate the finish. Please let us know your preference for either Saturday or Sunday, and any ideas to mark the event.

If anyone has any contacts with the local press, this could be an opportunity to highlight the Stuart Niven charity / Royal Haskoning / Pactrac.

Thanks
Jaap

Wed, 7th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

I don't mind Sat or Sun, preferably the afternoon, for the last swim but I reckon we should plan for the pub in case of bad weather and it's just easier than having to bring food.

Sal

Wed, 7th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Will try to get to Warmington for around 6.15, but work dependant, please dont wait.

Thu, 8th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Aargghhh I can't make it tonight - childcare. I'll be doing the swim at the weekend in case anyone else can't make tonight and wants to come along.

Sal

Tue, 13th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi,

This Thursday's swim is from Elton Bridge to Nassington, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630294.

It's 1.71 miles according to Mapmyrun, but we already swam it on Saturday and Mariska's GPS measured 1.9 miles. Still shorter than most of the previous legs.

We will have to make sure to start around 6.15 this time to get out before dark: it was starting to get dark when we finished last week, although that was a bit longer and we started late. Make sure you are in Nassington by 6pm if you want to have your car and clothes at the finish. We will park at the beginning of the village when coming from Elton / Fotheringhay, near the Nene Way footpath sign that will get us to and from the river. There is plenty of space on the grass verge of the road. We will then drive to Elton Bridge, and plan to be in the water at 6.15. Please let me know if you plan to meet us in Nassington or will come straight to the start at Elton Bridge.

The route crosses a footbridge and then goes through open countryside until you see Nassington church in the distance. There is one weir on the right bank, with about half a mile to go. The finish is at the next footbridge. It is best to get out on the right hand bank, on the downstream side. Mariska and I aren't swimming because we are racing on Sunday, but we will be there to cheer you on, take your flipflops to the finish and guide you back across the electric fences and sheep droppings to the cars.

The final swim has been confirmed for Sunday 25 September, starting around 1pm. We are looking into possibilities for late lunch / early dinner in the local pubs. Let us know if you are planning to come along to swim or support.

Thanks,
Jaap

Wed, 14th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

would love to join you guys for a swim

Thu, 15th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Japp, I should be there this evening for 6pm, but dont wait if Im not on time.

Thu, 15th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

will meet you guys at nassington

Wed, 21st Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Hi all,

This Sunday is the last of the Nene Swims! At least for this year... We are swimming from Nassington (the Nene Way footbridge) down to the roadbridge in Wansford. Mapmyrun says 2.48 miles for this one, which makes it the longest thus far (even longer than leg 3 Titchmarsh - Thorpe Waterville, for those who were there...). http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630506

This will be one of the most varied and interesting routes (not to mention chilly), crossing two locks and swimming along the Yarwell caravan park. We will have a few kayakers who will take some hot drinks to keep us from freezing.

The plan is to meet at Wansford at 12.45 for those who want to have their car at the finish and drive to Nassington to be there at 1pm. Let me know what you plan to do so we can coordinate transport.

Some of you will have seen Pippa's email to rally support - everyone is very welcome both during and after the swim!

Thanks,
Jaap

Sat, 24th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

We'll take a few cars from Wansford, and park on the grass
verge as you go out of Nassington (towards Elton / Fotheringhay) near to The
Black Horse pub, at around 1:00pm. From there, we will walk about 200
metres along the footpath to the river... and swim the 2.5 miles back
to Wansford.

There may be a photographer around from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph.

Can swimmers / helpers bring their cameras just in case the photographer gets held up anywhere.

Any good pictures for the paper can be emailed to adam.uren@peterboroughtoday.co.uk

We had some exposure in today's ET on page 5.

Sun, 25th Sep 2011 - 12:00 a.m.

Sorry, not going to be able to make it today.