Swimming the Nene 2012

Mon, 23rd Apr 2012 - 8:31 p.m.

Hi all,

I'm sure you've all been getting itchy to get back into the river. Well, it's almost that time of the year again! When I swam in Tallington two weeks ago they said it was 13 degrees but it felt like 9. But I did 30 mins in the Nene near Titchmarsh yesterday and it was lovely! This time, no turtles spotted though.

I really enjoyed last year's swim down the river from Woodford to Wansford in 13 stages, and we are thinking of doing that again. Probably on Thursday evenings again, which seems to work for most people.

We are thinking of doing a warm up (or cool up?) session first, for example upstream and back from the footbridge at Titchmarsh, possibly followed by tea at our house. This will probably be an evening next week. Let me know if you are interested.

Tue, 24th Apr 2012 - 11:51 a.m.

Good stuff - I'd be on for it again. Let me know about next week and if I can make it up there in time then I'll be there.

Tue, 24th Apr 2012 - 4:12 p.m.

Jaap

I'm keen to start open water swim training so I'm up for it.
My mate Dan, who recently joined the club, is also looking to do some open water swimming for the first time in his new wetsuit.

see you soon.

Rob

Tue, 24th Apr 2012 - 8:31 p.m.

Yes, I'm up for it.

Looking forward to seeing those illusive sub-species of turtle, (Caretta Caretta neneius)

Christina

Wed, 25th Apr 2012 - 10:35 a.m.

Hi Jaap. Yes - I would love to do it again. Looking at the above list of turtle-seekers though, please could I encourage some more sedate swimmers to join in too, so that I have some company.....!

Kate

Thu, 26th Apr 2012 - 6:54 p.m.

Hi Jaap
I did a lap of Tallington last night and it still felt like 9 degrees.
I would definately be classed as a 'sedate swimmer' as it sounds better than 'bloody slow' and would be interested.
Can you advise what time you are thinking of.
Thanks
Steve

Fri, 27th Apr 2012 - 8:54 a.m.

Hi all,

I'm planning to do a half hour swim tonight at Titchmarsh. Nothing too organised, just upstream for 20 mins and then go with the flow back downstream.

We were thinking 6.45pm because otherwise Mariska can't make it. It's light till about 8.30 anyway. We can serve soup afterward at home in Titchmarsh for warming up!

The plan is to take the track from the A605 opposite the exit to Titchmarsh. There is plenty of parking space near the river, but the track is quite bumpy. Let me know if you are worried about your exhaust: happy to ferry people from the A605. Or you can walk the 500m.

Jaap

Fri, 27th Apr 2012 - 2:05 p.m.

Hi Jaap

Can't make tonight (and anyway, 20 mins for you is more like 30 for some of us......!) - have fun. Will keep an eye on posts to find out when you're going next.

Kate

Fri, 27th Apr 2012 - 9:03 p.m.

This is a picture of the jetty (possibly at Tansor?) taken today. The river is too high and too cold still for me. How was the swim. Decent current I suspect.

Sat, 28th Apr 2012 - 11:58 a.m.

The OSS (Outdoor Swimming Society) have even cancelled their swimming in Dover this weekend due to bad weather.

Sun, 29th Apr 2012 - 8:11 a.m.

Yeah, you're right, there's too much current at the moment. I didn't go. Will keep trying and will keep the forum informed.

Sun, 29th Apr 2012 - 9:06 a.m.

I'm in. It was fab last year. I need Mariska's courgette recovery-cupcake recipe too please :-)

Sun, 13th May 2012 - 5:09 p.m.

Is anyone swimming open water yet?

Does any one want to meet Wednesday for a swim?

Around 6pm, Nene at Thrapston or Wadenhoe?

Cheers

Rob

Sun, 13th May 2012 - 6:51 p.m.

I checked out Wansford on Friday night and the water was way above the base of the bridge under which we leave our shoes! They would all float away. Flowing well too.

Evening swimming at Box End nr. Bedford is on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.00 to 9.00pm. Possibly open on Saturday mornings too. " I think there is a £4 cost. Lake available from 8 - 9 pm. Very high quality water, spring fed and top notch changing facilities too. £1 for a locker - refundable."

Tallington Lakes is open on Wed and Thurs from 5 - 8pm for £5. Also Saturday morning from June to August 7 - 10 am. 750 meter circuit.

Some comments from the local Open Water Swimmers:

May 3rd: "One-third of beaches fail water tests due to contamination from overflowing sewers and run-off from farms or city streets - applies to rivers too."

May 5th: "The Nene's still rising. Swam(floated) down from Cotterstock to Tansor this morning. Quite safe, but we did use my tow-rope to stop us from being swept past the Jetty."

May 9th: "The Nene was swimmable again this morning. Still a good flow: 22 mins upstream and 9 mins back."

May 11th: "14c at Box End today."

May 11th: "Apparently it was 12c in the river today."

-------------

We had 5 competitor's at Mallory Park for their rather cold triathlon on Monday 7th May.
Another 6 are competing at Grendon today.

Sun, 13th May 2012 - 10:34 p.m.

Plus one at Stowe. The lake was quite comfortable at 15 degrees.

Tue, 15th May 2012 - 2:46 p.m.

River at Wansford was down again, below the concrete under the bridge - just - last night. Not too much flow. At least our shoes would be safe again.

Sun, 20th May 2012 - 7:56 p.m.

Annette and I would like open water swim before next Sunday's British Champs at Emerton, mainly to remind ourselves what it is like to enter cold water!

Mon, 21st May 2012 - 6:24 p.m.

Hi,
Back from the warm waters of Australia, so I'm keen to give the Nene a try! I plan to have a go this Thursday night 24 May, as a first taster. We could go from Wansford or somewhere else, depending on who else is keen. Let me know if you're planning to come. I suggest we aim to be in the water at 6.30.

The plan is to start the Nene swim from next week Thursday, from Woodford like last year. I will post further info later.
Jaap

Mon, 21st May 2012 - 7:25 p.m.

Hi Jaap. Hope Oz was good. I'm up for it as I haven't braved the open water yet this year. All depends on whether a) I can remember where I put my wetsuit and b) that I can still shoehorn myself into it! Will keep and eye on posts for venue.

Kate

Tue, 22nd May 2012 - 3:47 p.m.

Wansford it is. 6:30pm. Meet under the bridge opposite the Haycock ready to get in for 6:30pm.

The PACTRAC Open-Water Triathlon is at Harringworth on Sunday 3rd June, so we have just 2 Thursday swims beforehand. Make the most of them.

Also the local open-water swimmers are having a jamboree at Tansor on Monday 4th June (Bank Holiday) if anybody is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/events/269683169774208/

Thu, 24th May 2012 - 10:50 a.m.

Steve and myself are coming with our kayaks to have a paddle alongside the swimmers

Fri, 25th May 2012 - 6:07 p.m.

14 swimmers:
Carol Smallman
Laura Smallman
Pippa Lawton
Georgina Jennings
Annette Wyld
Kate Armstrong
Linzi Bennett
Jon Crowley
Jaap Flikweert
Steve Hope
Steve Skelhon
Dave Allsop
Dave Patmore-Hill
Phil Haskonings

2 kayakers:

Steve Giles
Roz Giles

2 on bank:

Arthur Smallman
Frankie Smallman.

Fri, 25th May 2012 - 6:21 p.m.

0 Swans
0 Turtles

Sat, 26th May 2012 - 11:25 a.m.

Hi all,

Yes, great turnout on Thursday and the water was lovely. I'm sure the Nene turtle was there, I think I saw a little splash when no one else was looking.

Anyway.... Next Thursday we start our second Nene Swim Marathon. It was a great adventure last year, and now that we know it's possible, we might as well turn it into an annual Pactrac tradition. We start at Woodford and then make our way to Wansford, 26.2miles downstream, in thirteen Thursday evenings.

The first stage is this Thursday, 31 May, from Woodford to Denford. The route is on MapMyRun:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/96296057

We plan to get in just upstream of the village of Woodford and swim down to Denford. MapMyRun says it's 1.73miles, so that's a lovely distance to get into it. This is a really nice, open and rural stretch of the Nene. We will have our first lock to cross and will finish at the second lock. Note that Denford is where I spotted the Nene Turtle two years ago, so I'm sure he'll be waiting for us there.

The plan is to meet at the finish, and then share cars to the start. That makes it easier for most people to get home after the swim. So we will meet in Denford around 6.15pm, near Meadow Lane which leads to the lock where we will finish this leg. Meadow Lane is across the road from the petrol station / pub on the Denford High Street, you can't miss it.

We will then take a few cars to drive to the start in Woodford. We will park at the end of Church Street; from the village green, take one of the narrow lanes to the bottom of the village and then turn right. There isn't much car parking space there. From the end of Church Street there is a footpath; turn left right after the gate and you'll get to the river. The plan is to start the swim at 6.30pm.

Let me know if you plan to be there so that we know if we have to wait for you. If anyone is able to bring any designated drivers along, that would help a lot with the logistics.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 4th Jun 2012 - 5:38 p.m.

Hi all,

We had a decent turnout last Thursday, about ten swimmers and a nice mixture of styles and abilities. Including a few non-wetsuit swimmers! No turtles spotted this time, although Dave A had a go at trying to find it by taking the wrong channel.

The second leg is next Thursday, 7 June, from Denford through Thrapston. We'll get in where we got out last week, at Denford lock. We will swim through Thrapston, crossing the A14 and the old Six Arches Bridge and get to Thrapston lock. Hopefully Bob the Swan won't be there this year, so that we finally officially complete the last bit of river that we missed last year! We'll then do another kilometer or so along Thrapston marina to get to appr 2.1miles. The route of Thursday's leg is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/36511742.

Logistics
As always we will meet for 6.15 at the finish at Thrapston Marina, and then take a few cars to drive to the start in Denford to start the swim at 6.30. The Middle Nene Sailing Club have confirmed that they will open the gates again so that we can park on the road alongside the Marina.

If you are late and can't make it to Thrapston in time, you can always go to Denford directly and someone can drop you back there after the swim; only if needed though. Call me on my mobile if you're late or can't find your way: 07887 632814.

Directions
To get to the finish location in Thrapston is a bit complicated. The address is Meadow Lane, which is near the town centre and starts at the Thrapston sports club (Chancery Lane / Green Lane). At the sports club playing fields, take a left into the wooded dirt road (this is Meadow Lane) and follow it until you get to a footbridge. To the left there is a low bridge across a stream, with a gate. It's a private road from there, owned by the Sailing Club. Once over this low bridge, follow the road until you can go no further (there's another gate for the angling club). The finish of this leg is just beyond that point. Note: you can only get there by car from Thrapston town centre, not from Islip.

For those who go straight to Denford: you can get to the lock over the bridleway that runs from the village centre (petrol station, pub).

Please confirm if you plan to come along (preferably on the forum instead of by email), so that we have an idea of numbers. And don't hesitate to bring tea & cakes!

Jaap

Wed, 6th Jun 2012 - 5:28 p.m.

Hi Jaap

I will be coming along - had a cold last year, so didn't do this bit, so looking forward to it. Hope Bob is in a better mood this year. Perhaps we need a decoy? (And no, I'm not offering to come dressed as a swan, or a turtle for that matter.....)

Kate

Sat, 9th Jun 2012 - 7:05 p.m.

Hi all,

Last Thursday's swim was one of the coldest we've had thus far, but it was also one of the fastest because of the current so that compensated nicely. Bob the Swan made a return visit after last year (see http://www.stuartniven.co.uk/stuart-niven-swim-nene-diary.html), but this time we managed to swim past him instead of walking. We had six swimmers despite the pouring rain and the cold, so that was very good.

Next Thursday's swim is from Thrapston marina to Thorpe Waterville. This will be about 2.4miles, so that's a bit longer than the previous swims. And longer than an Ironman swim! (just 112 miles to ride and 26 miles to run...). See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37200472/ for this week's route. Next week's swim (down to Wadenhoe) will again be bit shorter, at 1.9m.

The river snakes through the Thrapston lakes and Titchmarsh nature reserve on this leg, with a footpath on the bank for most of the way. We'll cross a few footbridges and then get to Titchmarsh lock and marina after about 1.8m. We'll cross the lock, and then it's just a few 100 meters to the finish.

As last week, the plan is to meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start to get going around 6.30pm. This is one of the longest swims (apart from the final leg), so we will do our best to really start on time. The finish is the Nene bridge just West of Thorpe Waterville. Thorpe is on the A605. Coming from Peterborough, take a right just before The Fox Inn. Then follow signs to Aldwincle, taking a left at the fork in the road. The finish is just a few 100m from Thorpe, at the second bridge; there are 1 or 2 spaces on the right and two more on the left. If this is full, there are further spaces beyond the bridge, or you could park on a verge in or near Thorpe.

If you've got a full car + driver anyway, then by all means go straight to the start. However, if you've got a driver and spare spaces, then please come to the finish so you can help getting others to the start. If you are late and on your own, then you can also go straight to the start and we should be able to get you back to your car afterward (but try to avoid this if you can). In any case, please let me know in advance so we can plan things, ideally on the forum, otherwise on my email (jjf_99@hotmail.com). And call or text me if things change on the night.

The start is (as always) where we finished last week, at Thrapston marina. Let me know if you need directions (and you haven't got them from last week's emails).

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Mon, 18th Jun 2012 - 7:33 p.m.

Hi all,

I'm told last week's swim was even colder and even faster than the week before - all 10 swimmers seemed to enjoy it though, some even without wetsuits!

This week's swim will be from Thorpe Waterville to Wadenhoe. It's 1.9m (according to Mapmyrun), so that's quite a bit shorter than last week. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/37200776.

This section is very rural and remote. It goes through fields and some woodland, past the old Church of Wadenhoe on the top of the hill, and then finishes in Wadenhoe, right next to the King's Head pub's beergarden.

The plan is once again to meet at the finish at 6.15pm. There is plenty of parking space at the pub. Go into the village of Wadenhoe and turn right from Mill Lane into Church Street. The car park is at the end of the road, past the pub on the left. The address is Church Street, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire PE8 5ST. We will then drive to the start at Thorpe Waterville to get in - see last week's message for directions. Hopefully there will be one or two non-swimmers who can drop the swimmers off at the start -please bring someone if you can twist their arm! If not, we'll figure something out.

Please confirm if you plan to come along (on the forum or by email) - if we don't know you're coming, we won't wait for you!

Jaap

Mon, 18th Jun 2012 - 9:25 p.m.

Hi Jaap
See you at Wadenhoe on Thursday. Hope the water has warmed up a bit this week!
Giles

Wed, 20th Jun 2012 - 2:39 p.m.

I have just received this message:

"I have just been chatting to someone who lives on a boat on The Nene. He said that at the moment it is really important that swimmers keep well away from the locks as they are reversed at the moment and the currents are super super strong."

Thu, 21st Jun 2012 - 8:31 a.m.

Hi,

Thanks Steve. Swimming tonight is still on, but there are two Health & Safety issues to be aware of:
-there may be fast flows (as there were last week) which can be tricky at the locks. We won't be passing any locks tonight

Hi,

Thanks Steve. Swimming tonight is still on, but there are two Health & Safety issues to be aware of:
-there may be fast flows (as there were last week) which can be tricky at the locks. We won't be passing any locks tonight

Hi,

Hi,

- There may be fast flows (as there were last week) which can be tricky at the locks. We won't be passing any locks tonight, but the flow will be quite fast where we get in at the bridge in Thorpe. There is a lock about 100m downstream from where we get out. As long as everyone is aware and looks out for each other, we should be okay.

- The chemical spill at Peterborough won't affect us. It's a long way downstream from where we are swimming, and water does not flow up! (trust me, I'm an engineer...). Of course it is always sensible to avoid swallowing the river water.

See you tonight!
Jaap

Sun, 24th Jun 2012 - 5:02 p.m.

Hi all,

This week's Nene Swim is the 5th leg, from Wadenhoe to Lilford. Hold your breath: just 1.4 miles (according to Mapmyrun)! Easy! If anyone is not very confident about the long distances, then this is the week to give it your first try! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39035798

We start at the King's Head pub in Wadenhoe, and will have to get out again straight away to cross Wadenhoe lock. From there the river goes through the open fields, under a footbridge and then along a wooded hillside to the lock at Lilford. We then go back in to do the final 200 meters or so to the day's finish, on the left bank, right across the river from Lilford Hall (nice view!). There is no access to the river from here down to Oundle Mill, about 2 miles further downstream (next week's finish), so we want to get out at the far end of the field, just before the fence.

We will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, hopefully. Directions to the finish: on the A605, drive to the roundabout halfway between Oundle and Thorpe Waterville. Take the narrow road to Pilton and Lilford (to the right when coming from Peterborough). Follow the road down the hill and then over two humpback Nene bridges. We will meet at the car parking space a 100m or so past the second humpback bridge on the right. There is parking space for 2 or 3 cars, and more space on the verges nearby.

It helps if you confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements.

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Tue, 26th Jun 2012 - 3:13 p.m.

I missed the swim 2 weeks ago, from Thrapston to Thorpe,

I'm looking to do this on Thursday before the Wadenhoe to Lilford leg.

If anybody is interested, myself and Colin Benn (remember him) are meeting at Thorpe at 4:15pm. We will take one car to Thrapston for a 4:30pm 2.4 mile swim. Afterwards we will pick up the 2nd car from Thrapston, and will drive to Lilford - or Wadenhoe if time is short, for a 2nd swim.

Anybody else fancy it? Meet at Thorpe at 4:15pm :)

Mon, 2nd Jul 2012 - 8:08 p.m.

Hi all,

Good turnout last week, and we had the ideal combination of a decent flow, comfortable temperatures and sun (especially for the pre-swim from Thrapston).

This week's Nene Swim is the 6th leg, from Lilford to Oundle Mill. For some reason, people don't believe me when I tell them about distances, but Mapmyrun says that this is only 2.02 miles! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39514478.

We start across the river from Lilford Hall, near the road to Pilton. I will get in where we got out last week (which wasn't really that muddy...), others may choose to take the easy option further upstream. The river runs through quite a remote area here; not even the Nene Way footpath follows the river. The last half mile is closer to Barnwell Road, and then we get to Oundle Mill. The finish is at the lock.

As always, we will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, hopefully. Oundle Mill is on the road from Barnwell to Oundle, see http://www.oundlemill.co.uk/find_us.aspx. There is a lot of car parking space on the road verge next to the lock; I guess you can also park in the restaurant car park across the river.

Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements.

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Mon, 9th Jul 2012 - 9:01 p.m.

Hi all,

Lovely swim last week, the group is getting bigger by the week. This Thursday we are swimming from Oundle Mill to Ashton. The distance is 2.13 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39924614.

We start at Oundle Mill lock where we got out last week, swim past the entrance of Oundle Marina, cross one lock, then cross the A605 after just under 1 mile. We then start the wide loop on the east side of the A605, through fields and along wooded hills. We will get out at an old jetty just before the next lock.

The jetty where we get out is at the bottom of a grass path that runs down from the road between Ashton and Polebrook, opposite from the Olive Grove nursery (Olive Grove Nurseries, Oundle Road, Polebrook, Northants, PE8 5LQ, http://www.olivegrovenurseries.co.uk/. There is a gate about 100m from the nursery entrance, toward Oundle. It will be possible to park on the verge of the road. When we checked we had to climb over the gate, and then it's about 100m down the track. We are not sure if it's totally legal, by the way. It's not a right of way, but at least there are no signs saying private or no access... So please be careful not to leave any litter or damage things.

As always we will meet at the finish (Ashton) at 6.15 and then take a few cars to get to the start (Oundle Mill). Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you.

Mariska is thinking of starting early and doing a longer swim; let us know if you are up for that so that she can make a plan.

See you on Thursday,
Jaap

Mon, 16th Jul 2012 - 8:52 p.m.

Hi all,

We made it past the halfway point to Wansford during last week's swim!

There is currently a very fast current in the river, possibly too much for swimming, and the locks are probably open. I'll confirm later in the week if we are still swimming on Thursday. If it's on, this Thursday's swim is from Ashton to Cotterstock. The distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712.

The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last week (see last week's email for directions). There is a lock to cross after just a 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There are some (but not many) parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill - you may have to go further into the village.

See you on Thursday if it's on - let me know if you plan to come along (so you don't end up swimming after us and then having to walk back to the start, like Steve H two weeks ago...).

Jaap

Thu, 19th Jul 2012 - 8:01 a.m.

Hi all,

We think that the river is flowing too fast for safe swimming, so the Nene Swim is off for tonight. We'll do the Ashton to Cotterstock section next week. Just six to go to Wansford, so there's plenty of time to get there.

On that topic, there's a plan to keep swimming past Wansford (water temperatures and time of sunset allowing) and discover some new stretches. More to follow when we get there.

Mariska and I will be swimming in the Peterborough Lido tonight. It's open till 8pm, £4.10 entry and I've heard the water temperatures are not bad this year. We'll probably start around 6.30. Another option is of course Tallington lakes, I know that others were thinking of going there tonight.

Jaap

Tue, 24th Jul 2012 - 8:10 a.m.

Hi,

The river is looking better for swimming now so it should be okay. Mariska and I are not around on Thursday though so we are planning to do the Ashton to Cotterstock lock this Friday evening instead of Thursday. 6.15 in Cotterstock for 6.30ish start at Ashton.

Further info (as sent out last week): the distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712. The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last time. There is a lock to cross after just a 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There are some (but not many) parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill - you may have to go further into the village.

Let me know if you are planning to do the swim.

Jaap

Tue, 24th Jul 2012 - 9:48 a.m.

Hi Jaap

I swam in the Nene last night at Thrapston.
The current was very strong but not dangerous. It was however very difficult to swim against it.

I hope your planned swim is current assisted otherwise it could be a long tiring night!

Regards

Rob

Tue, 24th Jul 2012 - 2:49 p.m.

I'm up for Thursday. 6:15pm at Cotterstock.

Tue, 24th Jul 2012 - 9:29 p.m.

I can make Thursday but not Friday.

Thu, 26th Jul 2012 - 9:01 p.m.

Just the two of us tonight. Thanks Steve. Great swim. Saw 3 swans and a Tortoise type thing. I didn't think that Tortoises could swim.

Thu, 26th Jul 2012 - 10:41 p.m.

Yes the swans out numbered the swimmers. Maybe it was Jaaps elusive turtle that you spotted.

Fri, 27th Jul 2012 - 10:34 a.m.

Good to hear that my turtle did turn up, it has been a while and I think some people started to doubt me.... Where exactly did you spot him?

Just confirming that we are still swimming Ashton to Cotterstock tonight, as announced earlier: meet at Cotterstock at 6.15 for a 6.30 start at Ashton.

Mon, 30th Jul 2012 - 6:06 p.m.

Hi all,

This week's swim is 2.0 miles from Cotterstock to Bluebell lakes, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/42119500

Like last year, the people from Bluebell Lakes Fisheries are happy for us to park on their premises and get in and out of the river, both this and next week. Please make sure to respect their property and their clients!

The swim starts at Cotterstock Lock where we finished last week. The river goes around the edge of Tansor, then goes on to the Bluebell fishing lakes. We will swim around the lakes, cross Perio Lock and then get out at the other end of the fishing lakes, near the car park. There is a good access point across the bridge from the car park. And this year I will not allow anyone taking the easy option and walking from the lock to the car park! That was a disgrace!

Do note that the Bluebell Fisheries close at 9pm so we'll have to be away by then. Car access is over a small road that starts from the road between Tansor and Fotheringhay. Coming from Peterborough on the A605, take a right at the roundabout near Warmington; go left at the T-junction toward Tansor, and then take the small road to the right after about 400m (it has Bluebell Lakes signs). Follow the road straight ahead, onto the gravel track, between two lakes, and on to the Reception where the car park is. The address is Bluebell Lakes, Tansor, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 5HP. If you are interested in seeing some of the monsters that hopefully don't make it from the lakes into the river: http://www.bluebell-lakes.co.uk/index.html. They would eat a turtle (if not a human being).

As always, we meet at the finish around 6.15pm and then take a few cars to drive to the start at Cotterstock. Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you. It seemed to get darker last week, so we will try to start on time.

For those new to this topic on the forum: all levels are welcome and usually turn up, from breaststroke swimmers to Ironman athletes. We won't leave you behind! And there's usually cakes & tea as well.

See you on Thursday!

Jaap

Tue, 31st Jul 2012 - 8:17 a.m.

Hi Jaap,

I'll be there

Thanks

Rob

Wed, 1st Aug 2012 - 10:12 p.m.

I will try to get there. You did say beginners welcome so hopefully you can all slow down to my pace without getting too cold!!

Sat, 4th Aug 2012 - 9:15 p.m.

After the swim Thursday has anyone else felt rough since? Temp etc etc. I can only think it was the sim, possibly that area of very warm water?

Cheers

Marcus

Mon, 6th Aug 2012 - 7:54 a.m.

Hi Marcus,
We had no problems and I didn't hear from anyone else. When I've had issues (once or twice last year) it hit me on Sunday but didn't last long. There's a theory that you get immune after a while. Hope you are getting better now!
Jaap

Mon, 6th Aug 2012 - 8:02 a.m.

Hi,

This Thursday's swim will be from Bluebell Lakes to Warmington Lock. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43629928. The distance is 1.97 miles according to Mapmyrun.

We start at the car park of Bluebell Lakes where we got out last week. Most of the route is through open fields, past Fotheringhay, and then on to the lock near Warmington, where we get out.

This is the only public access point downstream from Fotheringhay. It's not ideal because we will have to walk about 500 meters over a footpath through a field to get to the car park. But there isn't really a good alternative (apart from swimming 3.5 miles between Fotheringhay and Elton). The footpath is okay for walking.

The car park is at the Fired Earth kitchens store and the Elton Boat Club at Warmington Mill. Go to the A605 roundabout near Warmington and follow the signs to Warmington Mill (exit toward Fotheringhay / Tansor, and then take a right after just a few meters), and you'll get to the car park. The address is Warmington Mill, Eaglethorpe, Warmington Peterborough PE8 6TJ.

As before we are meeting at the finish in Warmington at 6.15, aiming to get to the start at Bluebell Lakes for 6.30. Please confirm that you'll be coming along if you want us to wait for you. If anyone is able to drag along a chauffeur / bag transporter (Thanks, Steve's dad!), that would be great. Let us know if you've got someone!

Mariska and I are away on holiday for the next two weeks. We plan to start again from Warmington on Thursday 30 August. There are then three legs to go to get to Wansford. If anyone is keen to do these while we are away, let me know and I can send you the details from last year.

See you on Thursday,
Jaap

Fri, 10th Aug 2012 - 2:37 p.m.

Marcus,

I was ill afterwards and haven't quite shaken it off yet, it started the next morning. Kate Armstrong was also very ill that weekend. I think something was not good in the river that night!

Sal

Sun, 12th Aug 2012 - 6:34 p.m.

As there is no Nene swim this week, anyone fancy a swim at Wadenhoe thursday eveing at 1830? Looking to swim upstream for 30 mins then come back with flow.

Sun, 12th Aug 2012 - 10:01 p.m.

Can't make this Thursday as I'm racing at Boxend but I can do the following Thursday

Mon, 13th Aug 2012 - 3:51 p.m.

I'm up for a swim at Wadenhoe this Thursday 16th as you suggest Steve. It looks like sunshine and the occasional showers on the long range forcast but with temp in the mid 20's. Would that be meet at the Kings Head pub at 18:15 ?

John L

Mon, 13th Aug 2012 - 6:15 p.m.

I should make it for 6.30, carpark near village hall, next to pub as you suggest!

Sat, 18th Aug 2012 - 7:54 p.m.

Anyone fancy a swim tomorrow morning? Too nice not to. Not an issue where, happy to do one of the swims we've done already.
Cheers for the message Sally, went the following week and had no issues.

Mon, 20th Aug 2012 - 2:15 p.m.

I was planning on swimming from Wansford tonight if anyone wants to join me?
6.30?

Mon, 20th Aug 2012 - 4:51 p.m.

I will be at Wadenhoe on thursday 1830 start. Hopefully a few others there too.

Thu, 23rd Aug 2012 - 12:27 a.m.

I'll be there Steve. Meet at Village Hall car park?

Thu, 23rd Aug 2012 - 5:40 a.m.

Yes, just go by the pub then on left at end of road.

Mon, 27th Aug 2012 - 8:11 a.m.

Hi all,

The Nene Swim continues this Thursday, 30 August!

We are swimming from Warmington Lock, past Elton down to Elton Bridge (which is the roadbridge to Fotheringhay / Nassington). Mapmyrun tells us this is 2.04 miles.

Those who did the previous leg will know that the start is a 500 meter walk from the car park to the lock. This is a decent track through a field. We will get in at the lock and swim alongside Elton Park and its woods. There is one lock to pass at Elton, and then it's about half a mile to the bridge, where we get out. There is some car park space on the Fotheringhay / Nassington side of the bridge, but more on the Elton side, along the bridleway where the road turns toward the bridge.

The plan is to meet at the Elton Bridge at 6pm, take 1 or 2 cars to drive up to Warmington and start the walk to the lock at 6.15. This is a bit earlier than before because the night is starting to draw in. We can't really plan anything earlier because people have to come from work, but please make sure you are on time. If you can't make it you can always go straight to the start. And if you are even later, you could still join the fun by swimming upstream from Elton Bridge and meet us en route.

There are just two legs to go after this one to get to the 26.2 mile finish line at Wansford Bridge. We will see by then if there is enough daylight to keep going downstream. Or we could plan some daytime swims, like we did for last year's last leg to Wansford. Let me know what you think (on the forum please, rather than by email).

Thanks
Jaap

Mon, 3rd Sep 2012 - 11:25 a.m.

Hi,

This Thursday's swim is from Elton Bridge to Nassington, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630294.

It's 1.71 miles according to Mapmyrun, although last year Mariska's GPS measured 1.9 miles. Still shorter than most of the previous legs. I won't be there as I'm away for work. Last week was nice: the water was warmer than the air temperature so it was good to get in.

You will have to make sure to start around 6.15 to get out before dark, so the idea is to meet in Nassington by 6pm. Cars can be parked at the beginning of the village when coming from Elton / Fotheringhay, near the Nene Way footpath sign that leads to and from the river. There is plenty of space on the grass verge of the road. And then drive to Elton Bridge, to be in the water at 6.15. Would be good to respond on the forum if you plan to swim, and if so if you plan to meet up in Nassington or will come straight to the start at Elton Bridge.

The route crosses a footbridge and then goes through open countryside until you see Nassington church in the distance. There is one weir on the right bank, with about half a mile to go. The finish is at the next footbridge. It is best to get out on the right hand bank, on the downstream side. Watch out for potential electric fences on the other side of the bridge.

Thanks,
Jaap

Wed, 12th Sep 2012 - 3:56 p.m.

Hi all,

Like last year, we are doing the last stage of the Nene swim marathon on Sunday as it's getting dark earlier, and it's a longish one.

We are swimming from Nassington (the Nene Way footbridge) down to the roadbridge in Wansford. Mapmyrun says 2.48 miles for this one, which makes it the longest of the 13 legs. http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630506

This is one of the most varied and interesting routes (not to mention chilly), crossing two locks and swimming along the Yarwell caravan park. I remember last year was quite magical, swimming among the autumn leaves.

The plan is to meet at Wansford at 12.45 for those who want to have their car at the finish and drive to Nassington to be there at 1pm. Let me know what you plan to do so we can coordinate transport. I expect we'll be off to Loch Fyne for posh fish & chips afterward.

Thanks,
Jaap

Wed, 12th Sep 2012 - 4:08 p.m.

I'll be competing at Rother Valley on Sunday.

Don't forget that we have access to the Running Track in Peterborough on Thursday's as well as Tuesday's. See Sean Beard for a Nene Valley Associate Membership Form. This will give you 1-years access to the Track on Tuesday AND Thursday nights from 7:00 to 8:15pm.

From early November we intend to start Spinning at Stanground again on Thursday nights.