Recommend a 70.3

Fri, 14th Sep 2012 - 11:49 a.m.

Each year I like to myself some objectives to motivate me

2010 was to run a half marathon (had never run more than about 4 miles before 2010) - Completed the GER that year!

2011 was to break a couple of the classic running time barriers - 20 min 5k and 90 min half marathon which I also managed to do (and have the weeks/months on the physio table to prove it!)

This year it was to complete an oly distance tri in a respectable time - I managed both the dambuster and the grafham tri and in the process fell in love with the sport. I also wanted to break 40mins for a 10k but I think that one will slip by me...

So planning ahead next year and my main target is to complete a 70.3! The finances probably won't stretch to a trip abroad so i'm looking UK based and ideally not too far. The obvious one would be the Vitruvian but as i plan to do the dambuster again i'm not sure i want to be on the same sort of course. This year I loved the grafham tri course so the grafman appeals too. Are there other options anyone can recommend? I want it to be memorable so whether its a fast course or a tough one doesn't bother me too much.

I'm asking now because i know that some of these events open early and book up very fast!

Fri, 14th Sep 2012 - 3:26 p.m.

The local ones are Beaver at the end of May, Cowman at Emberton Park nr Milton Keynes and Monster at Ely.

Vitruvian is well organised and just down the road, so worth a re-think in spite of the price.

We don't know where the National middle-distance Championships will be yet.

A Day in the Lakes is the cheapest option except for the petrol and camping costs.

There are some cheaper options abroad, such as Majorca in May or Antwerp, but the official WTC events are usually pretty good.

If it's a toughie you're looking for, the Wimbleball official uk 70.3 is a hard one.

btw: 13.1 miles in 90 minutes is 6.52 mpm.
6.25 miles in 40 minutes is 6.24mpm so do-able.

Fri, 14th Sep 2012 - 5:38 p.m.

The National Middle Distance Champs are The Beaver.

The Monster Middle at Ely is close and I have heard good things.

Mon, 24th Sep 2012 - 12:34 a.m.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like the stars are aligning and as long as i can get a place it'll be the Vitruvian. The Dambuster next year falls in the time we are looking at going on holiday so it makes it an easier choice.

BTW Steve - I did it.... Abbey 10k today in 39:47! I didn't think that was on the cards at all but having not run hard (without a swim and bike first) all summer I was surprised to find i'm in good running shape. Nearly a minute off my PB. Celebrated with 2 Snickers bars lol

Mon, 24th Sep 2012 - 10:07 a.m.

Due to the World Championships being in London on 12th to 16th September, the Vitruvian has moved forward to Saturday 31st August next year.

Tue, 25th Sep 2012 - 10:11 p.m.

Sorry to hijack this thread but having just taken 23 minutes off my Olympic time in the weekend monsoon that was London, I am also contemplating a 70.3 next year. (And now I might also have 2 snickers!!)

Having looked at the above options, Vitruvian sounds good and very local to me. I already ride some of the bike route. The Graffman looks like it might be fairly flat. Beaver looks to have a short bike leg. The Cowman website isn't particulary informative but probably has a higher quality field. The Monster looks like an interesting swim and a fast course. Can anyone advise if the Monster swim is up or down stream (as swimming is my weakness!)Then there is the Grafman

Any views on which I should opt for as a poor swimmer. I would be keen to enter where other club members are also participating.

Wed, 26th Sep 2012 - 12:04 p.m.

I got the email about the date change on the Vitruvian - even better for me! Now I just need to be fast on the day it goes on sale ;)

Me, Mike Wenn and Tony Daniels did the grafham tri this year and we all thought it was a nice course and well organised (especially since it was the first year it was held). I'm definitely going back to it next year. They ran the Grafman at the same time (started 1 hour earlier).

The swim is 2 circuits of a triangle - the oly distance markers were slightly closer together than the grafman so its essentially the same course. Nice swim, clean water but for the oly it measured long by about 4 mins for me. The bike on the other hand was mostly flat and fast but a bit short (overall it balanced the longer swim). Decent course and I enjoyed it. The run was 2 miles on the dam and then the remaining 4 off road which made it tough (but interesting!).

There were about 150 people in the Oly and 140 in the Grafman I think so it was quite nice.

Not sure if that helps?

Sun, 30th Sep 2012 - 10:58 p.m.

I've opted for the Vitruvian and the new Outlaw 70.3 (providing I get places). One at the start and one the end of the season. They both look great and it'll keep me motivated through the winter and the summer :)

Tue, 2nd Oct 2012 - 7:40 p.m.

I like the sound of that. I might follow suit and do both to get a measure of any improvements.

Thu, 11th Oct 2012 - 3:15 p.m.

New IM and half IM distance races in Shropshire on 18th August.

http://www.uktriathlon.co.uk/ultimate/index.htm