Research Project - help needed

Tue, 20th Oct 2015 - 11:24 p.m.

Ben Paull is currently studying a Sports Coaching and Physical Education degree at the University Centre Peterborough. For his final year he is undertaking a research project into the effects of a self myofasical release warm up on the endurance performance of athletes and looking for volunteer cyclists.

Details of his project: My ultimate goal is to see what impact the foam rollers have on long distance events and I hope my study will provide some worthwhile research to bridge the gap and help long distance cyclists. Therefore, I'm proposing to conduct a study and use the results to recommend whether or not cyclists should incorporate a period of foam rolling into their warm up.

The physical sessions and results collection will only require any interested members to attend the sports laboratory at the university centre Peterborough on 3 occasions:

Visit 1 will be a meet and greet familisation session to explain the protocol, provide safety briefs and introduce the equipment and techniques to be used.

Visit 2 will involve a specific warm up and a 10km cycle using a Wattbike. I will also be measuring fatigue using an analogue scale, flexibility using a goniometer, blood lactate using a blood lactate scout and RPE with heart rate.

Visit 3 will be the same as visit 2 apart from the use of a different warm up. I will then be able to carry out statistical analysis of the data collected to answer the research hypothesis.

Please contact Ben (benpaull595@btinternet.com) if you require any more information or would like to volunteer for this project.

Thanks in advance

Giles