Blister Prevention

Fri, 3rd May 2013 - 3:41 p.m.

I managed to go through last year sockless and only picking up the odd blister here and there. I've changed my run shoes since then and used them at the mid-distance on Sunday and its torn the back of my heels to shreds. The thing is - the shoes are perfect for me so changing them isn't an option.

I prefer not to have to put socks on - especially for sprints (and the minis) so i've been googling around about options. I've seen some suggestions that i'd be interested to hear feedback on:

- Vaseline in the shoe: i could smear some at the back of the shoes where it rubbed. Would this make them a bit slippy though? and would it prevent the blisters? And does it ruin the trainers if i do this?

- Duck/Duct Tape: I couldn't believe this one but some use it in the shoe but others put it on the feet! Apparently it stays on during the swim and obviously would then prevent the friction that builds up to cause the blisters. Has anyone actually tried this???

- Socks:.... obviously but wet feet + socks are a bugger to get on and will cost me some time. I don't mind if ultimately I need to do this and i'll just have to practice but any comments on the first 2 options would be interesting to head.

Fri, 3rd May 2013 - 5:05 p.m.

I have used vaseline in the past. Worked well at protecting the skin and don't remember it making the shoe more slipperly. One thing I would say though is that it does seem to attract the dust/dirt so the shoe got particulary dirty in that spot where the vaseline was applied which may annoy you if you want your shoes to stay looking new!

I have heard people using talc as well as another prevention - I think the theory being that if there is less moisture then there will be less chance of it rubbing a blister??

Sun, 5th May 2013 - 6:55 p.m.

I've always had to do a few sockless training sessions before being able to run without socks in a race. Even then there can be sensitive spots. For those I've used vaseline. No problem with slippery shoes. I'm not bothered with what my shoes look like...

Mon, 6th May 2013 - 7:20 a.m.

I tend to get blisters on long runs even with socks. Vaseline works for me.

Wed, 8th May 2013 - 3:31 p.m.

Looks like Vaseline is the popular suggestion - i don't mind screwing up the trainers (they are covered in blood now anyway) so i'll give it a go.

Problem lurking though... my heels are still in bad shape from the mid-distance and the nicetri sprint is only 10 days away. If they're not recovered what do i do? I'm having to put a plaster on them at the moment and then tape over the top to ride or run. What i'm using wouldn't stand up to a 750m swim and bike though so should i just bite the bullet and tape up in T1? Anyone actually tried duct tape? Its supposed to be water resistent so i could try a plaster + duct tape from the start in the hope it will hold for the race. I guess i'd have to do the same for the first mini series too....

Mon, 13th May 2013 - 4:06 p.m.

You can also get a product which you spray onto the skin and it's like putting a new skin on the top. You can build up a few layers of it and it's definatley water resistant so it won't come off in the water. I'm not sure if it would be enough to prevent further blister but worth looking into as an alternative to duct tape! (make sure you put a dressing on the wound before the duct tape if you go down that route or you'll be in worse pain when you try to take it off, with the 1/2 healed scab!!!)