Heart Rate Monitors

Thu, 19th Sep 2013 - 10:03 p.m.

I would like to buy a hrm. Does anybody have any recommendations about what is good, what is OK and what should be avoided at all costs? I appreciate that you get what you pay for, but not being particularly gadget-savvy, I don't want to be buying something where I'm only going to use a couple of the functions, but equally don't want to get something that is so basic, it's not worth having. Thanks.

Fri, 20th Sep 2013 - 1:32 p.m.

Had two Garmins over the last 8 years (first is still going but is not water resistant). Latest is Garmin 910XT which is fantastic but may be too much if you only want HR functionality. Use mine for swimming (counts lengths and strokes) and for running/cycling for both distance, HR, and metres of ascent! Got mine from handtec.co.uk for £264 incl HRM strap.

Sun, 22nd Sep 2013 - 4:27 p.m.
Sun, 22nd Sep 2013 - 9:38 p.m.

Thanks Giles and Rob. I am getting the impression from most people that Garmin is preferable to Polar. Thanks also for the heads up on where to get the best deals. (Second time I've tried to post this, so if it keeps popping up elsewhere, I do apologise!)

Mon, 23rd Sep 2013 - 3:45 p.m.

Buy one that you can download to your computer, and has GPS as well as Heart Rate. You can then replay the information (Heart Rate, Speed, Distance) and see where you have been on a map.

The cheaper models only give information in real time, but don't store it for playback later.

I had a Garmin 305 (can't swim with), but have now replaced it with a Garmin 310XT (can swim with).

Mon, 23rd Sep 2013 - 10:03 p.m.

Thanks Steve. I think the 310XT is the one that Rob has given me the link for. Maybe if I wear it to swim with, it will counter-balance my legs and they won't sink any more! Bonus!