Frostbite 2017/18

Sun, 17th Sep 2017 - 4:48 p.m.

Hi all,

We've only just stopped swimming in the river (well, most of us), but it's time again to start looking forward to this winter's Frostbite running season. The dates and fixtures have been confirmed and are listed on the website: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk.

So these are the dates to put in your diary:
1st Race 1st October 2017 Riverside Runners Priory Park, St. Neots
2nd Race 5th November 2017 Bushfield Joggers Nene Park (Ferry Meadows), Peterborough
3rd Race 10th December 2017 Hunts AC Hinchingbrooke Park
4th Race 14th January 2018 March AC (location tbc)
5th Race 4th February 2018 Bourne Town Harriers Bourne Woods
6th Race 11th March 2018 BRJ Run and Tri Jubilee Park, Huntingdon

For those who are new to this: Frostbite is a series of 6 races organised by and for 16 local running clubs. Each race is about 5 miles, and on the 1st or 2nd Sunday of the month from October to March. It is a team race in which the first seven men and the first three women count for the club. Entry is free. The only condition is that you have to wear some form of Pactrac kit (and be a member of course). And there are trophies at the end of the year for the best male and female Pactrac runner of the series (who I get to pick so you know who you need to bribe).

We have been performing reasonably well in recent years, although we slipped to 11th overall last year. Still, not bad for a bunch of triathletes! In the process we've had some great individual results, including two wins by Paul Vernon, and a good number of new members joining the fun.

Everyone is welcome; you don't have to be a top runner, these are great friendly events with 100s of runners of all possible levels. Even if you are not in our scoring teams, you may still be taking points off other teams. And they are good races to track your fitness compared with others, and compared with previous years. It is usually quite difficult for us to find enough women to race, so ladies are especially welcome.

Please note that there is also a Juniors Frostbite series for under 16s, with 1.5 mile races starting at 10.15 at the same venue. I'm not organising our team for this though - please speak with Sam Fielding if you are interested.

I will send reminder / rallying emails and Facebook posts in the week before each race - first one next week, ahead of 1st October's St Neots race. Put it in your diary! We will also be using the Website Forum and Pactrac's Facebook page for car sharing opportunities - please post there if you are looking for a ride.

Thanks,
Jaap

Sun, 24th Sep 2017 - 8:48 p.m.

Next Sunday 1 October is the first race of the new season of the Frostbite Friendly League. See previous post / email for further information about the Frostbite series. As always, Race 1 is in Priory Park, Huntingdon Road in St Neots, starting at 11am. Directions are on:
http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race1_riverside_map.pdf

This year's course isn't on the website, but I presume it's the same as in previous years: all in the Park; mostly on grass plus a few bits on forest tracks; no tarmac. Off road shoes or even spikes are an option, but if it's dry, normal running shoes are fine.

Please let me know if you are interested, preferably on the Forum or Facebook group, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com. It would be good to get a feel for who is running, so that we know if we have a complete team or not, and need to do some rallying.

Thanks
Jaap

Sun, 24th Sep 2017 - 10:22 p.m.

I'm in. Looking to cycle there, but still working out the cycle meet point at the moment.

Sat, 30th Sep 2017 - 4:09 p.m.

Hi all,

Not sure we have a full team for tomorrow, so this is just a quick reminder that tomorrow is the first leg of the new Frostbite season. It looks like a nice morning for a run (despite earlier forecasts) - so why not come and race, for yourself and / or the team!

St Neots, 11am, all you need is some form of Pactrac kit.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 2nd Oct 2017 - 11:49 a.m.

53 Mark Weathersby........31.21
117 Sarah Caskey............34.00
160 Steve Hope................35.29
229 Bill Haslam................37.55
264 Jeff Manners..............38.57
326 Sarah Haslam............41.11
393 Mariska Niemeijer......45.05
439 Nicky Bailey................47.55
440 Nick Partridge.............48.07

Sun, 29th Oct 2017 - 7:06 p.m.

Hi all,

Good running last month by those who turned up! We didn't quite have a full team in the end (despite Bill signing up on the day and debuts from Nicky and Sarah H. Sarah C said she had 'the hardest race of her life' but still finished 8th lady! Still, the overall result wasn't great. Upwards and onwards!

Next week is the second leg. As always, this is organised by Bushfield, and like last year the race is at Ferry Meadows, in Orton, Peterborough. Race HQ is the Water Sports Centre there, and the start is nearby. For directions, see http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race2_Bushymap_2016.pdf

The course has not been confirmed, but is likely to be the same as last year's:
http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Nene_Park_Course_2016.pdf
The course is very varied, mostly offroad: grass, firm path, muddy path, firm path/tarmac, and then back over the same muddy path - firm path - grass. There is a short sharp hill halfway, just after crossing Milton Ferry Bridge. If there is any wind, you will feel it along the river. The distance last year was exactly 5 miles on my Garmin.

The start is at 11am, it is free to take part, it's a club race and everyone (from super fast to super slow) contributes, both by scoring points and by contributing to club feel (in random order)! All you need is to be a member and wear some form of Pactrac kit. Let us know if you need to buy any.

Vests to look out for when approaching the finish line next week are Bourne, Thorney and Werrington (just ahead of us in the rankings). Just to confirm: this course is doable with a baby jogger and they are allowed - I'll be racing with Hugo!

Please let me know if you are planning to run, preferably on the Forum or Facebook group.

Thanks,
Jaap

Thu, 2nd Nov 2017 - 3:55 p.m.

Sarah H and Roy M have confirmed. I'll have the Pactrac running vests there.

Sun, 5th Nov 2017 - 8:19 p.m.

20 PACTRACers there today and we moved up 1 place overall, so we are not last anymore (15th with the Juniors 7th).

5...Paul Vernon...............27:44
45..Mark Weathersby......31:41
86..Sarah Caskey............33:14
93..Richard Wright...........33:28
122.Aaron Godden..........34:33
133.Andy Chapman.........34:50
140.Chris Pike..................34:54
142.Ian Cushion...............34:59
191.Steve Hope................36:33
223.Dustin Braband..........37:31
255.Jeff Manners..............38:23
290.Daryn Coull................39:24
343.Sarah Haslam.............41:11
387.Chris Waghorn............43:06
388.Christina Cork.............43:06
401.Jo Chapman................43:38
410.Paul Beland.................44:03
457.Mariska Niemeijer.......46:00
491.Nicholas Partridge......47:57
537.Roy Mayhew...............53:03

Mon, 4th Dec 2017 - 5:49 p.m.

Hi all,

We had a good turnout last month at the 2nd leg of the Frostbite Running Series at Ferry Meadows. As a team we were 13th - not great, but it did move us above Bourne and closer to Thorney and Fenland. The race for 13th overall is on! Never mind, it was a nice day for a race. Paul Vernon got 5th overall despite lack of training, and Sarah got 4th lady. Quite a few first-time scorers; and of course all finishers contribute to the result - well done all!

Next Sunday is this year's 3rd Frostbite race, at Hinchingbrooke Park in Huntingdon. As always it starts at 11am and is free to enter, but you do have to be a member (you can sign up on the day) and wear club kit (let us know if you need any). There is a good competitive element, but Frostbites are also great social events to catch up with clubmates about race plans and boast about winter training or lack thereof.

The course is the same or similar to the usual at Hinchingbrooke (no one knows, it's very complicated): a twisty and turny combination of grass, muddy and firm forest paths, plus a km of tarmac cycle path along a main road. Definitely one for offroad shoes if you have them, but not suitable for spikes. If you want to get an impression (or try to learn it by heart), see http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race3_Course_2017.pdf.

Please take note of parking arrangements, which are different from previous years. No parking this year at the Horse Racing Course, but the organisers have secured free spaces at the Police Station (PE29 6NP, 10 minute walk) and also some at the Hospital near the Country Park. And for the early birds there are some spaces at the Country Park's own car park. See http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race3_Directions_2017.pdf

Please let me know if you plan to race; preferably on the Forum or Facebook group, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Jaap

Sat, 9th Dec 2017 - 7:00 p.m.

Hi all,

Looking forward to the first wintry Frostbite in a few years. I've had no signals that the race might be cancelled, so presume it's on. Drive carefully!

It looks like we'll have enough men running, but I've not heard back from any ladies. Please let us know if you are able to run!

Thanks
Jaap

Sun, 10th Dec 2017 - 8:05 a.m.

Hi all
Today's Frostbite has been cancelled!
Jaap

Sun, 7th Jan 2018 - 9:48 a.m.

Hi all,

Happy new year!

After last month's cancellation the Frostbite circus will be back on the road next week. This will be at Whitemoor Prison in March. As always, it's a 5 mile run, starting at 11am and entry is free. All you need is some form of Pactrac kit and a valid membership. Let me know if you need either. Everyone is very welcome - you'll contribute to the team whatever your result, and it's a good social club occasion as well. The race HQ is March AC's Clubhouse on Longhill Road March PE15 OBL. Directions are on http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/MarchAC_Directions.pdf. There is limited parking, and the directions are quite specific: see http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race4%20MarchACMap2017.pdf.

The website doesn't have course details yet, but I presume it's the same as last time (2 years ago): a mixture of grassy tracks (first 2 and last 2 miles) and tarmac (mile 3 and last 200m). This is normally not a very muddy course, but there could be slippery bits if we have more rain this week, so offroad shoes are an option. All flat as you would expect in March. This is one race where it pays off to start a bit more to the front than normal, as there is a tight, bendy and slippery bit after just 200m.

It would be great to see a large group of Pactrac'ers again. You can see it as a good last test run for Folksworth 15 the week after. Or you can see it as a nice run in a friendly environment with a large group of runners of all abilities. Or as a chance to meet up and talk tri season planning with clubmates. Or even do it to help Pactrac get up the ranking. Or all of the above.

Let me know if you intend to run, preferably on the Forum or Facebook, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com!

Please note for your calendar: last month's cancelled Frostbite race at Hinchingbrooke will now be staged on 18 February.

Jaap

Fri, 12th Jan 2018 - 2:05 p.m.

Hi Jaap, planning on making my 2017/18 debut on Sunday. See you there. Giles

Fri, 12th Jan 2018 - 8:36 p.m.

That's good! I need to remember to take your Runner of the season trophy! See.you on Sunday.

Fri, 12th Jan 2018 - 8:40 p.m.

Hi all,

This is the usual reminder... As far as I can tell we will need a few more men and women to have a full 7+3 team for Sunday's race. Let me know if you are planning to race.

As always with this race it will be chilly, but it looks like it won't be very windy for once.

Jaap

Sun, 14th Jan 2018 - 6:42 p.m.

March 14-01-18.

Seniors: 13th (now 14th overall).

26. Paul Vernon 30:33.
29. Mark Wethersby 30:41.
59. Giles Cooper 32:25.
61. Richard Wright 32:26.
63. Sarah Caskey 32:30.
101. Ian Cushion 34:17.
176. Steve Hope 37:06.
212. Jeff Manners 38:33.
251. Nikky Higgins 40:17.
362. Nicholas Partridge 47:09.
379. Mariska Niemeijer 48:22.

Juniors: 12th (now 9th overall).

52. William Freeman 10:47.
53. Teddy Cowin 10:47.
113. Chloe Moore 13:02.
117. Nye Simpson 13:43.
118. Isabel Lock 13:48.
122. Libby Mellor 14:18.
128. Lucy Cushion 15:15.

Sun, 28th Jan 2018 - 9:46 a.m.

Hi all,

Next Sunday 4 February is the next leg of the Frostbite season, in Bourne Woods. As always, the race starts at 11am, is free to enter, and all you need is some form of Pactrac kit (and a valid membership). This is the woodiest, most off-road and muddiest of the Frostbites, so it should be fun! Definitely one for off-road shoes.

As far as I can tell the course, race HQ and parking arrangements are the same as last year. Race headquarters is at Westfield School (PE10 9QS) in Bourne; you can find directions on http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/BourneMap.pdf. Parking at the Woods itself is a lot closer by, but spaces are limited so you will have to be on time. Plan carefully: if it's full there, it will take at least 15 mins to drive to the School, park there and walk to the start.

We had a full team at the last race (only 2 weeks ago) in March, and managed a modest climb up the rankings - now in 14th. Welcome to Nicky for her first race, well done. Just above us in the rankings is Fenland, so look out for those white shirts with purple letters.

Let me know if you intend to run so that I have an idea of numbers. Also let us know if you need to buy Pactrac kit in order to take part.

Please keep in mind that the next Frostbite is two weeks later on 18 Feb - the postponed Hinchingbrooke race. And then the final race is on 11 March.

Thanks,
Jaap

Tue, 30th Jan 2018 - 10:08 p.m.

Hi all,

Sunday's race has been moved to Ferry Meadows in Peterborough. The seniors' start is at 10.45!!! (juniors' start at 10.15 as normal). Will provide more details when available.

The organisers are asking for volunteers - let me know if you can't race but can help!

Jaap

Sat, 3rd Feb 2018 - 5:27 p.m.

Hi all, just to confirm the course is the same as previous Ferry Meadows Frostbites: mixture of grass, tarmac, firm and soft paths, flat with a short nasty hill halfway. Note that the seniors start is at 10.45. Juniors as normal at 10.15. There will be a parking code. It looks like it will be dry, possibly even sunny, although chilly and quite windy - so see you all tomorrow!

Sun, 4th Feb 2018 - 8:47 p.m.

Only 12 Seniors at Ferry Meadows for the Frostbite today, but at least we had a full team.
The Seniors were 11th on the day and 13th overall after 4 races.

4 Paul Vernon ..........29:14
34 Mark Weathersby ....32:01
59 Paul Lunn ............33:45
66 Jaap Flikweert .....33:59
77 Giles Cooper .......34:29
78 Sarah Caskey .......34:35
104 Ian Cushion .......35:42
124 Chris Pike .........36:46
176 Steve Hope .........38:48
281 Nikki Higgins ....43:04
358 Nicholas Partridge ...48:55
423 Georgina Jennings ....60:21

The Juniors were 12th on the day and are now 10th overall.

12 Connor Walker ....8:41
97 Jude Hinch ....10:51
102 Evander Wishart ....10:57
104 Caileigh Coull ....11:00
114 William Freeman ....11:11
132 Libby Mellor ....11:32
134 Teddy Cowin ....11:35
175 Chloe Moore ....12:59
184 Isabel Lock ....13:39

Mon, 12th Feb 2018 - 10:12 p.m.

Hi all,

We had a full team at last week's Ferry Meadows race and managed to climb another spot, up to 13th overall. Well done all! We have a good number of loyal Frostbite runners this year, which is great for team spirit. But we could do with a few more! If we have two good final races, there is still a chance of moving up a few places.

And that starts next Sunday: this year's 5th Frostbite leg, postponed from December, at Hinchingbrooke Park in Huntingdon. As always it starts at 11am and is free to enter, but you do have to be a member (you can sign up on the day) and wear club kit (let us know if you need any).

The course is the same or similar to the usual at Hinchingbrooke (no one knows, it's very complicated): a twisty and turny combination of grass, muddy and firm forest paths, plus a km of tarmac cycle path along a main road. Definitely one for offroad shoes if you have them, but not suitable for spikes. If you want to get an impression (or try to learn it by heart - good luck), see http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race3_Course_2017.pdf.

I haven't got details of parking arrangements yet (Horse Racing Course or Police Station?), but will confirm when I do.

Please let me know if you plan to race; preferably on the Forum or Facebook group, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Jaap

Sat, 17th Feb 2018 - 9:05 a.m.

Hi all,

We could do with quite a few more team members for tomorrow's race - hope you are not suffering from Frostbite fatigue!

Parking is mainly at the Policy Station nearby - not at the Racecourse! See:
http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race3_Directions_2017.pdf.

Jaap

Sun, 18th Feb 2018 - 7:40 p.m.

The PACTRAC Seniors came 11th today and, therefore, move up to 13th overall.

2. Paul Vernon.... 28:39
17. Mark Weathersby.... 31:10
58. Sarah Caskey.... 34:06
95. Ian Cushion.... 35:58
97. Darren Kelly.... 36:01
98. Chris Pike.... 36:03
153. Simon Guerin.... 38:50
259. Chris Waghorn.... 44:53
311. Nicholas Partridge.... 49:23
340. Mariska Niemeijer.... 54:02

The Juniors came 12th and move up to 10th overall.
41. Olivia Corner.... 11:11
116. Libby Mellor.... 13:36
146. Chloe Moore.... 15:27
162. Lucy Cushion.... 18:57
164. Mia Galkowski.... 21:04

Sun, 4th Mar 2018 - 2:31 p.m.

Hi all,

Next Sunday is the last Frostbite of the season. It's in Jubilee Park just outside Huntingdon, on the course that made its debut last year as the final race. Assuming the course hasn't changed, it's an interesting and different one, a big loop on firm field & farm tracks, finishing on the sports fields. Course information and directions from last year can be found here:
http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/Race_6_directions_2017.pdf

The Race HQ is located in the Club House in Jubilee Park, Kings Ripton Road, Huntingdon PE28 2NR. Car sharing is recommended.

In the end we nearly had a full team at the last race - not so bad given it was rescheduled. Good racing by the regulars: Paul Vernon 2nd, Sarah Caskey 3rd lady, and also from Mark W, Ian C, Chris P, Nick P and Mariska N. Also a welcome return from Simon Guerin and Chris Waghorn, and a great debut by Darren Kelly. You all made a difference: we came 11th, just a few points short of 10th, just a few points ahead of 12th. We are now in 13th overall, equal on points with Fenland. No chance really of moving up in the final race, but it would be great if we could secure 13th. So keep an eye out for the white with purple kit of Fenland in that sprint to the line.

As always, everyone is welcome, you just need to be a member and have some form of club kit (let me know if you need any). There is no entry fee, the start is at 11am, let me know if you plan to be there.

Like last year there is no trophies ceremony after the race; we will receive the Frostbite Runner of the series trophies later. For the ladies it's hard to see Sarah Caskey miss out on her second in a row. For the men there is still a battle between Paul Vernon and Mark Weathersby: Paul usually finishes a bit higher, but he has missed one race - so who knows!

The organisers have asked for volunteers to help on the day - please let me know if you are available, and I can put you in touch.

Thanks,
Jaap

Sat, 10th Mar 2018 - 5:55 p.m.

Hi all, here is the usual Saturday reminder: Frostbite at Huntingdon tomorrow, and we could do with a few more runners. It looks like tomorrow's rain won't arrive till 1pm - so you will have to get your run in in the morning anyway! See you at Jubilee Park.
Jaap

Tue, 13th Mar 2018 - 3:57 p.m.

Frostbite Results from BRJ on Sunday:

2. Paul Vernon ........ 28:11
------------------------(24. Tracy McCartney Bushfield 32:51 first female).
37. Richard Wright ....33:40
55. Sarah Caskey ..... 34:49 fourth female.
66. Darren Kelly ....... 35:26
189.Jeff Manners ...... 41:49
193 Daryn Coull ........ 41:54
225 Chris Waghorn .... 44:01
245 Nikki Higgins ....... 45:20
290 Mariska Niemeijer . 49:20
305 Nicholas Partridge . 51:33
328 Georgina Jennings .. 56:16

We finished 14th on the day and so remain in 13th position overall.

Juniors:
31. Olivia Corner ......... 09:51
108. Teddy Cowin ........ 11:52
110. Caileigh Coull ...... 11:55
138. Libby Mellor ......... 12:49
165. Chloe Moore ......... 14:04
178. Lucy Cushion ....... 16:19
183. Mia Galkowski ...... 17:59

We finished 11th on the day and moved up from 12th to 11th overall.

Sorry, I had a double puncture and never made it to the start line :(