Nene Swim 2013

Sun, 14th Apr 2013 - 7:25 p.m.

Hi all,

Don't know about you, but we are starting to think about getting in an out of wetsuits & locks and spotting the Nene Turtle again. It's almost time to start the 2013 Nene Swim!

For all the new members: we have been swimming down the River Nene during the last two summers, from Woodford to Wansford, a full 26.2 mile marathon distance in thirteen legs of around 2 miles, on Thursday evenings between May and September. It has been a great adventure, a perfect way to get our open water training in, and also a very good social club event. Everyone is welcome: we have had anywhere between 8 and 18 swimmers, ranging from Ironman age group winners to people doing breaststroke. The faster swimmers usually swim up and down so they get 3 miles instead of 2. Have a look at the forum for our adventures in 2012 (http://pactrac.co.uk/forums/topic/395/) and 2011 (http://pactrac.co.uk/forums/topic/214).

We measured the water temperature at Lilford today, and at 10C it's not quite there yet. But with a few weeks of warmer weather it should be fine to make the traditionally chilly start at Woodford sometime early May. We usually do one trial swim before then, at Wansford or Wadenhoe - maybe next weekend, but we'll measure the water temperature in the course of the week to see how it's going. Bring on the swans!

Jaap

Mon, 15th Apr 2013 - 8:30 p.m.

Don't forget we have the club's open water off-road triathlon at Harringworth on Sunday 5th May so a little early season acclimatisation is a must.

Sat, 20th Apr 2013 - 6:49 p.m.

We measured the temperature of the Nene on Wednesday, and again this afternoon. It's around 10.5 degrees, so not quite there yet. We'll keep you posted. Cool down from next Sunday's Middle Distance with a leisurely Nene swim?

Sat, 20th Apr 2013 - 7:10 p.m.

Will it be up to 20 next week?

Tue, 23rd Apr 2013 - 6:04 p.m.

Oundle Boat House at mid-day on Sunday 28th April after the Mid-Distance Triathlon. The weather may have turned but most of us have wetsuits and it will only be 7-days to the Off-Road Tri at Harringworth with it's lake swim!

Meet at the Oundle Boathouse (near to Pick Arthur, The Gorilla Cycle Shop, Elmington - Ashton Roundabout) at 12:00pm. (We'll be in wetsuits) We'll just be swimming upstream and down again.

Thu, 25th Apr 2013 - 7:43 a.m.

Measured again yesterday at Titchmarsh: a balmy'ish 14 degrees! Oundle Boat House at 12 o'clock on Sunday sounds good - I'll send out an email to all members.

Sat, 27th Apr 2013 - 5:42 p.m.

Hi all,
We measured 12 degrees today at Lilford - as expected due to the colder weather in the last few days but still doable. So it's on, for the braver swimmers!
Jaap

Sun, 28th Apr 2013 - 4:22 p.m.

We had seven crazy people braving the 12.5 degrees Nene today, swimming upstream for 25 mins, and then back down to the Boat Club in 20 mins. Cold to get in (without practice), okay after a few minutes of swimming, but starting to feel numb toward the end. Not bad to get 45 mins for the first swim. Still, this Thursday may be a bit too soon to start the Nene Swim at Woodford, so we'll probably give it another week. Will keep you informed on the Forum and by email. If anyone is keen this week, some people may still be up for an up-and-down swim in Wadenhoe or Wansword. Looks like temperatures are rising and it will be 20 degrees + next week, they say!

Tue, 7th May 2013 - 10:10 p.m.

We measured the temperature at Thrapston yesterday and it was 16 degrees! So it should be fine for Thursday. I suggest we have a go at Wadenhoe this week; just upstream for 30 minutes (or more if you fancy it) and then back down. Let's meet around 6.15, aiming to be in the water by 6.30.

Please post on the forum if you plan to come!

The plan is to start the Nene swim from next week Thursday, from Woodford like last year. I will post further info later.

Wed, 15th May 2013 - 7:53 a.m.

Last week in Wadenhoe was okay in the water (a lot better than the week before), but quite cold to get out. Not a big turnout for some reason...

I can't make it on time back from London for a swim on Thursday. If people want to start from Woodford anyway (or swim somewhere else), please post on the Forum!

Wed, 15th May 2013 - 5:56 p.m.

I want to swim tomorrow, as I need to get the wetsuit on before Bedford sunday

Let me know if there are any more willing volunteers, only looking to do around 30 minutes as I expect it will be cold

Update 7 pm Wansford Thursday 16th, meet outside the Haycock

Thu, 16th May 2013 - 1:33 p.m.

I will be there. Gwil

Fri, 17th May 2013 - 4:08 p.m.

3 intrepid swimmers in for 30-minutes at Wansford last night. Hopefully Jaap will confirm the start from Woodford next week and we will see a few more.

Fri, 17th May 2013 - 8:09 p.m.

So how was the water at Wansford?

I'm afraid I'll be in Holland next Thursday. Fine with me if people do want to start from Woodford anyway, I'll catch up. Let me know if people are keen and I'll send out the email with directions etc.

Sat, 18th May 2013 - 3:23 p.m.

The water was FRESH, cold, clean and flowing well. I think that we should wait until you are ready Jaap. 4 last week and 3 this week suggests that people are not yet ready and we might get a few more once the temperature rises slightly. That said, 30 minutes at Wansford was good.

Wed, 22nd May 2013 - 11:41 a.m.

6:30pm at Wansford on Thursday 23rd May.

We'll start Woodford next week, once Jaap is ready.
--------------------

Only me there.

Maybe we should wait until the water warms up in September.

Anybody keen to make a start or wait?

Sun, 26th May 2013 - 2:09 p.m.

Kate Armstrong:
"Does anybody want to go for a swim in the Nene tomorrow (Monday) morning? I'm doing Chester on Sunday and have only managed one very brief, very cold dip so far, so need to go at least once more before the race."

Sun, 26th May 2013 - 6:40 p.m.

Kate and me are meeting at Wadenhoe village hall at 10am on Monday for a swim. All welcome.
Cheers. Rob

Sun, 26th May 2013 - 7:00 p.m.

I'm a possible. How long you staying in for?

Sun, 26th May 2013 - 7:03 p.m.

About 5 minutes!

Sun, 26th May 2013 - 7:04 p.m.

As long as Kate wants to practice for I guess

Sun, 26th May 2013 - 9:09 p.m.

Hi,

I'm not swimming tomorrow, but now that summer is arriving (or at least spring), it's time to start the full Nene swim from Woodford this Thursday. I'll send an email to the whole club, we'll see how many turn up. I can imagine that those doing Chester next week will skip this one, but we do need to make a start if we want to get to Wansford by September.

As most of you will know, this is now the third year that we are doing a Pactrac Nene Swim Marathon. We start at Woodford and then make our way to Wansford, 26.2miles downstream, in thirteen Thursday evenings.

The first stage is this Thursday, 30 May, from Woodford to Denford. The route is on MapMyRun:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/96296057

We will get in just upstream of the village of Woodford and swim down to Denford. MapMyRun says it's 1.73miles, so that's a lovely distance to get into it. This is a really nice, open and rural stretch of the Nene. We will have our first lock to cross and will finish at the second lock. Note that Denford is where I spotted the Nene Turtle three years ago, so I'm sure he'll be waiting for us there.

The plan is to meet at the finish, and then share cars to the start. That makes it easier for most people to get home after the swim. So we will meet in Denford around 6.15pm, near Meadow Lane which leads to the lock where we will finish this leg. Meadow Lane is across the road from the petrol station / pub on the Denford High Street, you can't miss it.

We will then take a few cars to drive to the start in Woodford. We will park at the end of Church Street; from the village green, take one of the narrow lanes to the bottom of the village and then turn right. Note there isn't much car parking space. From the end of Church Street there is a footpath; turn left just after the gate and you'll get to the river. We will start the swim at 6.30pm.

Let me know if you plan to be there so that we know if we have to wait for you. If anyone is able to bring any designated drivers along, that would help a lot with the logistics.

Thanks,
Jaap

Thu, 30th May 2013 - 12:18 p.m.

Hi all, no Nene swim tonight after all. At least I'm not swimming and I haven't heard from anyone who is. Try again next week!

Thu, 30th May 2013 - 5:26 p.m.

I'm planning on being there tonight at 6:15. I swam half the 1.7 miles alone on Monday and it was very pleasant then. I'll be swimming even if I'm alone, but company would be nicer!

John

Thu, 30th May 2013 - 8:07 p.m.

Hi Jaap. I'm keeping the local open water swimmers - Tom et al informed, so they will be there, as I've only just seen this message. Thanks to John for holding Pactrac's end up! I'm racing at Nottingham on Saturday, hence not there tonight; but hoping to be there next week.

Thu, 30th May 2013 - 9:16 p.m.

Well I'm rather glad that I went down to Denford this evening as I bumped into Dan Martin and Charmel as Steve suggested I would above. They persuaded me to swim the 1.7 miles of this first leg sans wetsuit just like them. After about 10 minutes the shock of the circa 12 degree water subsided and by the time we reached Woodford lock I realised I was actually going to make it to Denford after all. If we have a go at this stretch again next week I can highly recommend it. There are about half a dozen curious but friendly swans but no sign of any turtles and it is a very tranquil stretch of the river.

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 8:11 a.m.

Good to hear John that you still went on Thursday. I think there may be more swimmers this Thursday.

I suggest that we just keep swimming from Denford: we know from previous years that it will get dark by the time we get to Wansford in September, so no sense in doing the Woodford leg again. I won't be there again on Thursday though: I have to be in Holland for work.

For this second leg (Denford - Thrapston) we normally make arrangements with the Middle Nene Sailing Club so that we can park on their private road. This allows us to swim a bit further and balance the leg distances with the 3rd leg - 2.1m for the 2nd and 2.4m for the 3rd leg. However, there isn't much sense in me making those arrangements now (it's all about mobile contact on the day) - let me know if anyone wants to organise this and I'll pass on the contact details. The alternative is to park outside the Sailing Club gate and walk back there after the swim. Or to just get out of the river at Thrapston lock and only swim 1.5m.

Let me know what you think and if people are planning to swim; I can send around the email to all members tomorrow morning.

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 10:13 a.m.

Hi Jaap, i'm planning to be swimming this Thursday. Cheers

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 1:51 p.m.

Meet at Thrapston for leg 2 at 6:15pm next Thursday. I'll be there. Parking inside further along is better. Presumably they come and open the gate for us? If not then outside the gate.

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 4:01 p.m.

I'll be there.

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 8:43 p.m.

I am hoping to make it.

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 9:46 p.m.

Good that there will be a few people. If you do want to park inside the gate, one of you will have to get in touch with the sailing club people. No sense in me doing that because you'll have to coordinate with mobile phones, to confirm that you are there (they don't like to leave it open). Last two years I made arrangements with Glynn Hill, the PR secretary (prsecretary@middlenenesc.co.uk; 0774 296 9096).

I'll post the usual directions and send the email in a minute. Will leave open the parking arrangements for now.

Mon, 3rd Jun 2013 - 9:55 p.m.

Hi all,

The second leg of the Nene Swim is next Thursday, 6 June, from Denford through Thrapston. We'll get in where last week's leg finished, at Denford lock. We will swim through Thrapston, crossing the A14 and the old Six Arches Bridge and get to Thrapston lock. We'll then do another kilometer or so along Thrapston marina to get to appr 2.1miles. The route of Thursday's leg is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/36511742.

Logistics
As always we will meet for 6.15 at the finish, at Thrapston Marina, and then take a few cars to drive to the start in Denford to start the swim at 6.30. We are not sure yet whether we can park inside the Swimming Club's grounds or have to leave the cars outside - to be confirmed.

If you are late and can't make it to Thrapston in time, you can always go to Denford directly and someone can drop you back there after the swim; only if needed though.

Directions
To get to the finish location in Thrapston is a bit complicated. The address is Meadow Lane, which is near the town centre and starts at the Thrapston sports club (Chancery Lane / Green Lane). At the sports club playing fields, take a left into the wooded dirt road (this is Meadow Lane) and follow it until you get to a footbridge. This is where you park the car, unless we've arranged to get access to the sailing club grounds, which is via the low bridge on the left, with a gate. It's a private road from there, owned by the Sailing Club. Once over this low bridge, follow the road until you can go no further (there's another gate for the angling club). The finish of this leg is just beyond that point. Note: you can only get there by car from Thrapston town centre, not from Islip.

For those who go straight to Denford: you can get to the lock over the bridleway that runs from the village centre (petrol station, pub).

Please confirm if you plan to come along (preferably on the forum instead of by email), so that we have an idea of numbers. I won't be there myself but I've had at least 4 confirmation of Pactrac'ers who will.

Jaap

Wed, 12th Jun 2013 - 7:09 a.m.

Hi all,

Next Thursday's swim is from Thrapston marina to Thorpe Waterville. This will be about 2.4miles, so that's a bit longer than the previous swims. And longer than an Ironman swim! (just 112 miles to ride and 26 miles to run...). See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37200472/ for this week's route. Next week's swim (down to Wadenhoe) will again be bit shorter, at 1.9m.

The river snakes through the Thrapston lakes and Titchmarsh nature reserve on this leg, with a footpath on the bank for most of the way. We'll cross a few footbridges and then get to Titchmarsh lock and marina after about 1.8m. We'll cross the lock, and then it's just a few 100 meters to the finish.

As last week, the plan is to meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start to get going around 6.30pm. This is one of the longest swims (apart from the final leg), so we will do our best to really start on time. The finish is the Nene bridge just West of Thorpe Waterville. Thorpe is on the A605. Coming from Peterborough, take a right just before The Fox Inn. Then follow signs to Aldwincle, taking a left at the fork in the road. The finish is just a few 100m from Thorpe, at the second bridge; there are 1 or 2 spaces on the right and two more on the left. If this is full, there are further spaces beyond the bridge, or you could park on a verge in or near Thorpe.

If you've got a full car + driver anyway, then by all means go straight to the start. However, if you've got a driver and spare spaces, then please come to the finish so you can help getting others to the start. If you are late and on your own, then you can also go straight to the start and we should be able to get you back to your car afterward (but try to avoid this if you can). In any case, please let me know in advance so we can plan things, ideally on the forum, otherwise on my email (jjf_99@hotmail.com). And call or text me if things change on the night.

The start is (as always) where we finished last week, at Thrapston marina. I'm not sure yet if we'll be able to drive cars into the Sailing Club grounds, but otherwise we'll just walk the first bit. Let me know if you need directions (and you haven't got them from last week's emails).

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Thu, 13th Jun 2013 - 12:46 p.m.

I wont make the start but plan to get in at Thorpe around 7pm and swim upstream until I meet the downstream swimmers.

Thu, 13th Jun 2013 - 9:30 p.m.

Amazed by how much river has warmed up. Looking forward to next week.

Sat, 15th Jun 2013 - 5:58 p.m.

Yes, that was a lovely swim. Six swimmers out. Thanks Kate for chauffeuring us and for the Jaffa cakes!

Mon, 17th Jun 2013 - 8:35 p.m.

Hi all,

This week's Nene swim will be from Thorpe Waterville to Wadenhoe. It's 1.9m (according to Mapmyrun), so that's quite a bit shorter than last week. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/37200776.

This section is very rural and remote. It goes through fields and some woodland, past the old Church of Wadenhoe on the top of the hill, and then finishes in Wadenhoe, right next to the King's Head pub's beergarden. I once saw a Kingfisher on this stretch, so that's another type of fauna to look out for...

The plan is once again to meet at the finish at 6.15pm. There is plenty of parking space at the pub. Go into the village of Wadenhoe and turn right from Mill Lane into Church Street. The car park is at the end of the road, past the pub on the left. The address is Church Street, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire PE8 5ST. We will then drive to the start at Thorpe Waterville to get in - see last week's message for directions. Hopefully there will be one or two non-swimmers who can drop the swimmers off at the start -please bring someone if you can twist their arm! If not, we'll figure something out.

Please confirm if you plan to come along (on the forum or by email) - if we don't know you're coming, we won't wait for you!

Jaap

Wed, 19th Jun 2013 - 6:31 p.m.

Will try to get to Thorpe for around 1835, don't wait for me if I am not there.

Sat, 22nd Jun 2013 - 4:01 p.m.

We had nine swimmers on Thursday for the idyllic stretch from Thorpe to Wadenhoe. The river is the best place to be when there is a tropical downpour! Well done also to Dan who did his longest swim ever. Next week is the shortest section of the marathon at 1.4 miles from Wadenhoe to Lilford. More details to follow.

Sun, 23rd Jun 2013 - 11:12 a.m.

Hi all,

This week's Nene Swim is the 5th leg, from Wadenhoe to Lilford. This leg is the most suitable for novice river swimmers: it is only 1.4 miles long, it's easy to get out earlier as well and there are two locks to cross which gives two automatic rest stops. So if anyone is not very confident about the long distances, then this is the week to give it your first try! The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39035798

We start at the King's Head pub in Wadenhoe, and will have to get out again straight away to cross Wadenhoe lock. From there the river goes through the open fields, under a footbridge and then along a wooded hillside to the lock at Lilford. We then go back in to do the final 200 meters or so to the day's finish, on the left bank, right across the river from Lilford Hall (nice view!). In order to limit next week's swim to a feasible distance, we want to get out at the far end of the field, just before the fence.

We will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, hopefully. Directions to the finish: on the A605, drive to the roundabout halfway between Oundle and Thorpe Waterville. Take the narrow road to Pilton and Lilford (to the right when coming from Peterborough). Follow the road down the hill and then over two humpback Nene bridges. We will meet at the car parking space a 100m or so past the second humpback bridge on the right. There is parking space for 2 or 3 cars, and more space on the verges nearby.

It helps if you confirm that you'll be coming along (preferably on the forum, otherwise on jjf_99@hotmail.com) so that we can plan transport arrangements.

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Sun, 30th Jun 2013 - 11:41 a.m.

Hi all,

We had a 50 / 50 combination last Thursday of experienced swimmers and novices. The water was lovely and the cows were curious.

This week's Nene Swim is the 6th leg, from Lilford to Oundle Mill. Mapmyrun says that this is only 2.02 miles. The route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39514478.

We start across the river from Lilford Hall, near the road to Pilton. We will get in where we got out last week (which wasn't really that muddy...). The river runs through quite a remote area here; not even the Nene Way footpath follows the river. The last half mile is closer to Barnwell Road, and then we get to Oundle Mill. The finish is at the lock.

As always, we will meet at the finish at 6.15pm and then drive to the start in 1 or 2 cars, hopefully. Oundle Mill is on the road from Barnwell to Oundle, see http://www.oundlemill.co.uk/find_us.aspx. There is a lot of car parking space on the road verge next to the lock; I guess you can also park in the restaurant car park across the river.

Doing the whole length of this leg is less suitable for slower and less experienced swimmers, as it would spread out the swimmers too much - unless you make sure you have another swimmer with you and / or start a lot earlier. But it is of course also an option to start at Oundle and swim toward the others - as long as you make sure you are not swimming alone. There is hardly any flow at the moment so you will not really notice the difference. Please place a message on the forum if you are interested in that, so that we can coordinate.

Another important notice: last year on this stretch we ran into a training session of the Oundle Town rowing club. I'm trying to contact them so that we can coordinate, and will let you know if I hear from them. In any case, please be aware, and please keep to the right (as you swim toward Oundle) to minimise disturbance and risk.

See you on Thursday!
Jaap

Tue, 2nd Jul 2013 - 4:05 p.m.

Hi all,

I have now been in touch with John Milborne, the Oundle Town Rowing Club's Club Captain. Their training session this Thursday starts at a similar time to us and they will do the same stretch as us, but from Oundle, upstream and back.

It will be important that we are well-disciplined at Thursday's swim because the rowers won't be able to see us coming. I have agreed two things with John:

- We both stay on the right side of the river (we downstream, they upstream).

- We will make sure that we each stay toghether in one bunch, to minimise mutual disturbance, at least until we've had our encounter. So this will take some more discipline than we have recently had. All swimmers will really have to stay within sight of each other, certainly up to when we will have encountered the rowers. This should be no problem - it's how we used to swim before: the faster swimmers can swim ahead for 10mins or so, and then wait or swim back to pick up the others.

We will of course have to make sure to all be out before the rowers get back to Oundle, which is after 8pm. Which means we will do our best to start on time - leave Oundle Mill at 6.15 to be in the water in Lilford at 6.30. If you are late, please start from the Oundle end after the rowers have set off.

This also reinforces my previous message that for this leg, the less experienced / slower swimmers should consider starting in Oundle and swimming upstream, after the rowers have set off, and then turn back once they have met the main group (or earlier, to make sure they are back before the rowers return).

Thanks,
Jaap

Sun, 7th Jul 2013 - 4:50 p.m.

Hi all,

Lovely swim last week. We had nine swimmers 'en groupe' going downstream, and two more starting from the downstream end. No swimmers got whacked by rowing blades and no rowers got pulled into the river. The coffee and cakes were brilliant.

This Thursday we are swimming from Oundle Mill to Ashton. The distance is 2.13 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/39924614.

We start at Oundle Mill lock where we got out last week, swim past the entrance of Oundle Marina, cross one lock, then cross the A605 after just under 1 mile. This is the halfway point of the Nene Swim marathon, 13.1 miles done. We then start the wide loop on the east side of the A605, through fields and along wooded hills. We will get out at an old jetty just before the next lock.

The jetty where we get out is at the bottom of a grass path that runs down from the road between Ashton and Polebrook, opposite from the Olive Grove nursery (Olive Grove Nurseries, Oundle Road, Polebrook, Northants, PE8 5LQ, http://www.olivegrovenurseries.co.uk/). There is a gate about 100m from the nursery entrance, toward Oundle. It will be possible to park on the verge of the road. We have to climb over the gate, and then it's about 100m down the track. We are not sure if it's totally legal, by the way. It's not a right of way, but at least there are no signs saying private or no access... So please be careful not to leave any litter or damage things.

As always we will meet at the finish (Ashton) at 6.15 and then take a few cars to get to the start (Oundle Mill). Please confirm that you'll be coming along (preferably on the Forum) so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you.

See you on Thursday,
Jaap

Sun, 7th Jul 2013 - 6:42 p.m.

Jaap, hopefully I will be there, will go straight to start, if im not there don't wait.

Mon, 8th Jul 2013 - 9:06 p.m.

I should there again on Thursday, hopefully starting at the start rather than the end this week.
If I'm running late (again) don't wait and I will go straight to the start.

Thu, 11th Jul 2013 - 9:10 a.m.

I'm swimming tonight but I maybe late, if so I'll meet you at Barnwell Mill.

Thu, 11th Jul 2013 - 9:44 a.m.

I'll be at the finish of tonight's leg before 6:15. T'was a toasty 20 degrees C in the river on Tuesday. Nice.

Mon, 15th Jul 2013 - 10:31 p.m.

Hi all,

We made it past the halfway point to Wansford during last week's swim! Well, it's only John L who has swum all sections this year.

This Thursday's swim is from Ashton to Cotterstock. The distance is 2.23 miles, the route is on http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/41609712.

The route starts at the old jetty where we got out last week (see last week's email for directions). There is a lock to cross after just a 100m or so. Then it's on toward the A605 bridge, along the Oundle boathouse, and then on through the open fields to Cotterstock Lock. That's where we get out.

Access to Cotterstock lock is over the public footpath from Mill Lane in Cotterstock, which is about 100m. The path starts at the beginning of the village when coming from the A605. There are some (but not many) parking spaces around there on the verges near the old water mill - you may have to go further into the village.

Less confident swimmers could start from the Oundle boathouse - this is exactly halfway, so just over a mile to Cotterstock.

See you on Thursday - let me know (preferably on the Forum) if you plan to come along.

Jaap

Tue, 16th Jul 2013 - 8:40 a.m.

I will be there again Jaap. With the summer now in full attendance it should be another really enjoyable swim.

See you on Thursday.

Steve

Tue, 16th Jul 2013 - 5:55 p.m.

I should be at start, but if not, don't wait. If im running late I will join you at oundle boat club.

Wed, 17th Jul 2013 - 11:18 a.m.

Hi Jaap,

I would quite like to do the swim from Oundle to Cotterstock. Are there any other slower swimmers coming though, as I'd prefer a bit of company on the swim?
If anyone about my pace would like to meet me at Oundle we could swim together.
What time do you think the rest of you will get to Oundle?

Thanks

Jemima

Wed, 17th Jul 2013 - 12:12 p.m.

Jem. If you're not sure who will be there, an option is to take some Flippers and then you're covered either way!

Wed, 17th Jul 2013 - 2:06 p.m.

Jem,

I fancy doing the swim from Oundle but it depends what time as I don't finish work till 6, need to leave my car at the finish and then get to Oundle boat house. Will you be at the mini tonight?

Sam

Wed, 17th Jul 2013 - 11:48 p.m.

Hi Sam,

Yes, I did the mini tonight.

I would think that the swimmers starting near Ashton should get to Oundle around 6.30ish? Drop me a text tomorrow to let me know if you fancy doing it. I could meet you at Cotterstock and drive us back to Oundle to start the swim.

Jem

Wed, 17th Jul 2013 - 11:48 p.m.

Hi Sam,

Yes, I did the mini tonight.

I would think that the swimmers starting near Ashton should get to Oundle around 6.30ish? Drop me a text tomorrow to let me know if you fancy doing it. I could meet you at Cotterstock and drive us back to Oundle to start the swim.

Jem

Thu, 18th Jul 2013 - 9:49 a.m.

I'll be coming tonight and will be at the finish by 6:15. One way or the other I guess we'll all meet up in the river.

I've also invited a friend of mine, Shaun, who has some recent experience of swimming in rivers and should be able to keep up.

John

Mon, 22nd Jul 2013 - 7:32 p.m.

Hi all,

This week's swim is 2.0 miles from Cotterstock to Bluebell lakes, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/42119500

Like previous years, the people from Bluebell Lakes Fisheries are happy for us to park on their premises and get in and out of the river, both this and next week. Please make sure to respect their property and their clients!

The swim starts at Cotterstock Lock where we finished last week. The river goes around the edge of Tansor, then goes on to the Bluebell fishing lakes. We will swim around the lakes, cross Perio Lock and then get out at the other end of the fishing lakes, near the car park. There is a good access point across the bridge from the car park.

Do note that the Bluebell Fisheries close at 9pm so we'll have to be away by then. Car access is over a small road that starts from the road between Tansor and Fotheringhay. Coming from Peterborough on the A605, take a right at the roundabout near Warmington; go left at the T-junction toward Tansor, and then take the small road to the right after about 400m (it has Bluebell Lakes signs). Follow the road straight ahead, onto the gravel track, between two lakes, and on to the Reception where the car park is. The address is Bluebell Lakes, Tansor, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 5HP. If you are interested in seeing some of the monsters that hopefully don't make it from the lakes into the river: http://www.bluebell-lakes.co.uk/index.html. They would eat a turtle (if not a human being).

As always, we meet at the finish around 6.15pm and then take a few cars to drive to the start at Cotterstock. Please confirm that you'll be coming along so that we can plan transport arrangements and know if we need to wait for you.

See you on Thursday!

Jaap

Wed, 24th Jul 2013 - 11:13 a.m.

I'll be at Bluebell Lakes by 6:15 pm. The weather forecast is favourable.

John

Thu, 25th Jul 2013 - 3:23 p.m.

I cant make it tonight, so don't wait for me.

Tue, 30th Jul 2013 - 2:43 p.m.

Hi all,

I'm not swimming for the next two Thursdays (possibly three) because of holidays, so we will continue from Bluebell Lakes after that. I think John Luckins is planning to swim at Wadenhoe instead. Watch this space for further information.

Off to find some Lochs now!

Jaap

Tue, 30th Jul 2013 - 4:36 p.m.

I thought it was Dykes that Dutch boys sought.

Hans of Haarlem.

Tue, 30th Jul 2013 - 11:11 p.m.

Hi all,

As Jaap says I'm planning to keep going with some Thursday evening open water river swims while he's away. Last year we met up at the car park adjacent to the Kings Head in Wadenhoe and did a mile or so upstream and back, so saving all the messing about with transport. I thought we could repeat that this Thursday 1st Aug. There are a couple of useful landmarks we could aim for upstream, including the tree trunk where Jaap reported seeing a Kingfisher. It should be a little easier to cater for all speeds and strengths during this swim so if you've been hesitating, now's a good time to give it a try, perhaps even without a wetsuit. I thought we could meet up around 6:15 pm at Wadenhoe and get underway at 6:30pm as usual. It looks like it will be beautiful summers evening but there will be some more flow to the river that'll make the outgoing stint harder than the return.

There is plenty of parking space alongside the pub. Go into the village of Wadenhoe and turn right from Mill Lane into Church Street. The car park is at the end of the road, past the pub on the left. The address is Church Street, Wadenhoe, Northamptonshire PE8 5ST.

If you can post here if you are sure you are coming we'll try to make sure you don't miss the grand launch.

See you on Thursday.

John

Wed, 31st Jul 2013 - 9:51 p.m.

Probably cant make tomorrow, so don't wait for me.

Fri, 2nd Aug 2013 - 1:59 p.m.

7 of us in at Wadenhoe last night, including 5 sans-wetsuits for an hour.

Meet again at Wadenhoe 6:15 for 6:30pm next Thursday 8th August.

Fri, 2nd Aug 2013 - 5:05 p.m.

The River Nene swim being organised by Serpentine Swimming Club is on at Oundle this Sunday, if anybody is interested. £18.

http://serpentineswimmingclub.com/future_events/12/entries-open-for-2013-river-nene-swim

1, 2 or 3 miles from Oundle Boat House - the one past Barnwell Country House, not the one by the Roundabout.

Sat, 3rd Aug 2013 - 10:03 p.m.

Those of you who swim the Nene on Thursday's will have met Carmen Scales.

Carmen has been training for her Channel Swim, and completed it on 2nd August.

Well done Carmen.

https://www.facebook.com/SuperCaz

Tue, 13th Aug 2013 - 8:25 a.m.

Hi,

The Nene Marathon starts again this Thursday, when we are swimming from Bluebell Lakes to Warmington Lock. See http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43629928. The distance is 1.97 miles according to Mapmyrun.

We start at the car park of Bluebell Lakes where we got out three weeks ago. Most of the route is through open fields, past Fotheringhay, and then on to the lock near Warmington, where we get out.

This is the only public access point downstream from Fotheringhay. It's not ideal because we will have to walk about 500 meters over a footpath through a field to get to the car park. But there isn't really a good alternative (apart from swimming 3.5 miles between Fotheringhay and Elton). The footpath is okay for walking.

The car park is at the Fired Earth kitchens store and the Elton Boat Club at Warmington Mill. Go to the A605 roundabout near Warmington and follow the signs to Warmington Mill (exit toward Fotheringhay / Tansor, and then take a right after just a few meters), and you'll get to the car park. The address is Warmington Mill, Eaglethorpe, Warmington Peterborough PE8 6TJ.

As before we are meeting at the finish in Warmington at 6.15, aiming to get to the start at Bluebell Lakes for 6.30. Please confirm that you'll be coming along if you want us to wait for you. If anyone is able to drag along a chauffeur / bag transporter (Thanks, Steve's dad!), that would be great. Let us know if you've got someone!

See you on Thursday,
Jaap

Tue, 13th Aug 2013 - 7:47 p.m.

Jaap,
wont be there this week, away in Yorkshire riding next years Tour de France route.

Wed, 14th Aug 2013 - 7:51 a.m.

Hi Jaap,
I intend to be there on time and give it a go. Liz is happy to chauffeur this evening.
S.

Wed, 14th Aug 2013 - 8:34 a.m.

Hi Jaap,

I'll be there too and I had a message from Philip to say he's coming as well. I've invited the friends of mine, Shaun and Keith, who we bumped into and swam with last week.

John

Wed, 14th Aug 2013 - 10:04 p.m.

Hi Jaap

I'm fresh back from holiday so I plan on being there.

Steve

Wed, 14th Aug 2013 - 10:11 p.m.

I shall come to join you and give it a go

Tue, 20th Aug 2013 - 1:19 p.m.

Hi all,

This Thursday is the 11th leg of the Nene Marathon Swim; just three to go!

We are swimming from Warmington Lock, past Elton down to Elton Bridge (which is the roadbridge to Fotheringhay / Nassington). Mapmyrun tells us this is 2.04 miles.

Those who did the previous leg will know that the start is a 500 meter walk from the car park to the lock. This is a decent track through a field. We will get in at the lock and swim alongside Elton Park and its woods. There is one lock to pass at Elton, and then it's about half a mile to the bridge, where we get out. There is some car park space on the Fotheringhay / Nassington side of the bridge, but more on the Elton side, along the bridleway where the road turns toward the bridge.

The plan is to meet at the Elton Bridge at 6pm, take 1 or 2 cars to drive up to Warmington and start the walk to the lock at 6.15. This is a bit earlier than before because the night is starting to draw in. We can't really plan anything earlier because people have to come from work, but please make sure you are on time. If you can't make it you can always go straight to the start. And if you are even later, you could still join the fun by swimming upstream from Elton Bridge and meet us en route.

Finally: we had 16 swimmers last week, including quite a few novice river swimmers, which is great. It is important that everyone is aware that there are some risks associated to river swimming; that everyone is primarily responsible for their own safety (not Pactrac, not me); but that we also look out for each other. The key risk is getting hit by boats - this is why it is important to stay in groups, wear colourful caps and look up regularly. Other risks are stomach upsets (so don't swallow the water!) and trips&slips around the structures. And of course encounters with wildlife, especially turtles... We've not had any serious incidents, but I thought I'd raise awareness again so that we can keep it that way.

Let me know if you are planning to swim.

Thanks,
Jaap

Tue, 20th Aug 2013 - 4:18 p.m.

Jaap,
cant make this week so don't wait for me.
Hopefully should make last 2 legs.

Tue, 20th Aug 2013 - 6:09 p.m.

Hi Jaap,

I'll be along again this Thursday.

John

Thu, 22nd Aug 2013 - 7:10 a.m.

I should be there Jaap but will be travelling back from Bracknell so don't wait if I am not there.

Mon, 26th Aug 2013 - 6:22 p.m.

Hi,

This Thursday's swim is from Elton Bridge to Nassington, see http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630294.

It's 1.71 miles according to Mapmyrun, although in previous years Mariska's GPS measured 1.9 miles. Still shorter than most of the previous legs.

Good turn out again last week with about 10 swimmers, and the water temperature is still very comfortable. The evenings are starting to draw in though, so like last week we'll aim to start early.

We will make sure to start around 6.15 to get out before dark, so the idea is to meet in Nassington by 6pm. Cars can be parked at the beginning of the village when coming from Elton / Fotheringhay, near the Nene Way footpath sign that leads to and from the river. There is plenty of space on the grass verge of the road. And then drive to Elton Bridge, to be in the water at 6.15. Would be good to respond on the forum if you plan to swim, and if so if you plan to meet up in Nassington or will come straight to the start at Elton Bridge.

The route crosses a footbridge and then goes through open countryside until you see Nassington church in the distance. There is one weir on the right bank, with about half a mile to go. The finish is at the next footbridge. It is best to get out on the right hand bank, on the downstream side. Watch out for potential electric fences on the other side of the bridge.

This is the one but last swim - we have traditionally done the last one, down to Wansford, on a weekend day because it is the longest of them all (at 2.5 miles) so it's difficult to finish before dark. This would be on either 7 or 8 September, but the coming weekend (31 Aug or 1 Sept) is also an option. Let me know on the Forum or by email if you want to swim the last leg and have a strong preference.

Thanks,
Jaap

Mon, 26th Aug 2013 - 6:29 p.m.

Hi Jaap,

I'll be there again on Thursday. I'd prefer the weekend of 31st Aug/1st Sept for the last leg if possible as I'm away the following weekend.

John

Tue, 27th Aug 2013 - 3:11 p.m.

Hi Jaap,

I'll hopefully be there on Thursday and if anyone wants to meet me in Nassington then would be much appreciated as i don't know where i'm going!

Also would prefer the final leg on 31st/1st Sept as i have the Nicetri Olympic on 8th September.

Thanks

Rich

Wed, 28th Aug 2013 - 10:01 p.m.

I can't make this week Jaap. Although I would be keen to do the last leg I have Citruvian this weekend and an away mountain biking in Wales next weekend so may have to do it alone the following week.
Steve

Wed, 28th Aug 2013 - 11:05 p.m.

Steve, I'd be more than happy to have a second shot at the final leg so let me know when you're planning to do it.

John

Thu, 29th Aug 2013 - 9:18 a.m.

Hi, I'll be there this evening. Will get to Nassington for 6pm.

Laters :)

Thu, 29th Aug 2013 - 2:46 p.m.

Hi all,
About the final swim: this weekend won't be possible for me now as we've got to travel to NL for a funeral. I had a few responses who could only make 7 Sept, so it looks like there will at least be a few people (incl myself) doing the swim on that day. However it would be nice to find a date when most of the regulars can make it though. Who is up for the weekend of 14 / 15 Sept? Or will it be too cold for John to swim without a wetsuit then??
Jaap

Thu, 29th Aug 2013 - 2:46 p.m.

Hi all,
About the final swim: this weekend won't be possible for me now as we've got to travel to NL for a funeral. I had a few responses who could only make 7 Sept, so it looks like there will at least be a few people (incl myself) doing the swim on that day. However it would be nice to find a date when most of the regulars can make it though. Who is up for the weekend of 14 / 15 Sept? Or will it be too cold for John to swim without a wetsuit then??
Jaap

Fri, 30th Aug 2013 - 12:28 a.m.

Hi everyone,

Following on from the penultimate swim to Nassington there appear to be a few of us who would like to have a crack at the final leg this coming weekend. My motivation is fear of the cold as Jaap suggests, and Patrick Woods and I are already planning to swim it this coming Saturday 31st Aug. Richard Moys has mentioned here that he would also be interested in doing it this weekend. I propose we meet up at the finish, the roadbridge in Wansford (same finishing place as previous years) at 14:00. There appear to be some parking spaces just off the southern end of the bridge but I’ve not been there to check.

All are welcome of course but it would be helpful if you could post here that you are coming so that we know to wait. The plan would then be to drive back down to where we got out this evening at Nassington at 14:15 and be in the water by 14:30.

The swim is from the Nene Way footbridge at the southern end of Nassington down to the roadbridge in Wansford, a distance of 2.48 miles according to this routemap:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/43630506

According to Jaap this is one of the most varied and interesting routes, crossing two locks and passing through the Yarwell caravan park. We’ll check out the best exit points on the day.

Hopefully we will see you there.

Thanks

John

Fri, 30th Aug 2013 - 7:52 a.m.

I will be at Wansford at 14.00 Saturday.

Sun, 1st Sep 2013 - 3:17 p.m.

Looking to swim the next 2 Thursday's and possibly Sunday 8th later pm.

Mon, 2nd Sep 2013 - 10:56 a.m.

Cant make thursday 5th, but will swim Thursday 12th.

Mon, 2nd Sep 2013 - 3:32 p.m.

How about another swim at Wadenhoe on Thursday evening, assuming there isn't enough daylight to do the final leg to Wansford on a weekday eve? Last time those that wanted to and got there early enough went to the Brancey Bridge (the one nearest to Aldwincle) and swam downstream to Wadenhoe from there. En route they then met up with those wanting a shorter swim or who arrived later as they swam upstream from Wadenhoe. The route from the Brancey Bridge is a lot nicer than the navigable course of the river there. It worked rather well last time. I'm up for it again, any other takers?

BTW three of us swam the last leg to Wansford on Saturday and Dan dropped in to join us at his chosen distance. It is a long leg with spectators and traffic at the weekend but we would be finishing it in the dark I suspect if we tried it on a weekday evening.

John

Tue, 3rd Sep 2013 - 8:35 a.m.

This Thursday sounds goon for me. I believe Dave Naylor is also keen. I'm happy to go with your choice of route John.

I would be interested in doing the final leg to Wansford on the 14th/15th for those who missed it first time or fancy it again.

Steve

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 11:03 a.m.

Just a quick note to say that if you want to swim at Wadenhoe "on Thursday" (edit) evening but arrive after 6:15 there is a chance you will have missed the group as they drive to the bridge upstream to start from there. If so you can always swim upstream towards the turn at the end of the overhanging trees and meet the others coming the other way. The water is still quite warm and today should be bright and sunny.

Hope to see you there.

John

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 12:43 p.m.

Hi John,are there many people swimming tonight as well?

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 12:53 p.m.

Hi Sean,

It is always hard to predict but based on responses here there will be at least three of us. I would expect at least half a dozen or more though.

John

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 1:17 p.m.

Thanks John,
See you tonight at 6pm.
Will bring my daughter along to try.
Please make yourself visible as not familiar with area.
S.

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 1:18 p.m.

Thanks John,
See you tonight at 6pm.
Will bring my daughter along to try.
Please make yourself visible as not familiar with area.
S.

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 1:31 p.m.

That's great Sean, we gather in the car park just beyond the Kings Head pub in Wadenhoe, right on the bank by the river overlooked by the church, and the spot where we get out. The road ends there. I'll probably cycle tomorrow and be lying on the bank trying to recover. For some, wetsuits will be the big giveaway.

See you both there.

John

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 1:39 p.m.

Sean,

Sorry, I've made a mistake in what I wrote earlier and mislead you into thinking the swim was tonight. I've edited my earlier post to correct this. This swim is planned for the usual Thursday evening slot and not tonight, sorry. Perhaps you can make it on Thursday? All the arrangements I described were for Thursday 5th. I've no other way of contacting you so let us know here if you see this please.

John

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 2:58 p.m.

Ok John should be ok Thursday 2.
Kings head 6pm.
Many thanks
S.

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 3:05 p.m.

I'm going to have to give this last one a miss, sorry guys.

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 3:08 p.m.

It might not be the last one Richard. There's plans afoot for a the Nassington to Wansford leg perhaps the weekend of 14th/15th Sept though even I might wear a wetsuit for that one.

john

Wed, 4th Sep 2013 - 9:26 p.m.

Hi,

I won't be swimming this Thursday, but there is in fact a plan to do a Nene swim this Saturday, probably in the morning. A few people said earlier that this was their preferred time to do the last swim. However, as some of you have now already done the last swim, I'm thinking of venturing beyond Wansford and seeing what the Nene looks like east of the A1. On the map it looks like there are a few exits about 2 miles downstream.

Let me know if people are interested and if the morning works for you as well. I'll send out the logistic details in the coming days.

Jaap

Thu, 5th Sep 2013 - 10:26 p.m.

Just confirming that there will be a few people swimming in the Nene on Saturday morning. We will swim from Wansford Bridge down to Stibbington. I haven't checked on the ground but we should be able to get to the river near Wansford Station of the Nene Valley Railway, on the Old Great North Road. This should be about 1.9 miles. See: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/283488897

The plan is to meet up at 10am near the Nene Valley Railway Station, post code PE8 6LR. Then drive to the start in Wansford to get into the water around 10.15.

Let me know if you want to come and join us on this pioneering expedition into the unknown downstream from Wansford!

Sat, 7th Sep 2013 - 8:52 a.m.

Hi Jaap,
See you at ,10am.
S.

Mon, 9th Sep 2013 - 11:04 p.m.

Hi all,

Great swim on Saturday, from Wansford to Nene Valley Railway station! Possibly the nicest stretch (although I say that about every stretch). A novelty was the close encounter with cormorants, in addition to swans and cygnets.

The water temperature is still very pleasant, so we are keen to enjoy it while we can. Is anyone up for another swim this Saturday, around 10am again? I'd like to explore the stretch further downstream. Let me know what people think, further details to follow.

Jaap

Tue, 10th Sep 2013 - 2:43 p.m.

The next couple of Saturday's are out for me, but this Thursday at Wadenhoe sounds good. I don't know how many went out on the Mike-on-a-bike ride last Saturday.

Tue, 10th Sep 2013 - 6:01 p.m.

I can make Wadenhoe this Thursday (12th)

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 2:05 p.m.

As the evenings are drawing in, are you still planning at meeting at wadenhoe at 6.15pm this evening or a bit earlier?

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 2:05 p.m.

As the evenings are drawing in, are you still planning at meeting at wadenhoe at 6.15pm this evening or a bit earlier?

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 4:58 p.m.

I thought perhaps we should meet at 6:00pm with a view to leaving for the Brancey Bridge (the one nearest Aldwincle) upstream by 6:10 to do the same leg as last week. Otherwise it will be dark on our return. How about it? Tomorrow looks to be a little warmer and brighter than of late so still a good enough temperature I hope.

John

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 5:47 p.m.

See you at 6:00pm TOMORROW at Wadenhoe.

GWIL: That's TOMORROW i.e., THURSDAY, not tonight.

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 5:59 p.m.

I will be at Wadenhoe at 6pm Thursday.

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 8:13 p.m.

6pm is good for me. See you there.

Wed, 11th Sep 2013 - 9:51 p.m.

Yes indeed, Thursday 12th was when I meant. That's two weeks in a row I've nearly got someone to Wadenhoe a day early. Now where's my medication...

Fri, 13th Sep 2013 - 3:53 p.m.

Hi,

Good to see that the Thursday swims are still happening (if John hasn't managed to confuse everyone...). In the meantime we are also still exploring the Nene downstream from the A1. I'm keen to swim tomorrow morning, starting at the Nene Valley Railway where we left off last week. There is a feasible exit point 1.9 miles downstream, not too far from Castor - so that's what I'm proposing to do tomorrow (Saturday) morning. The route passes Water Newton after about 1m, so there is also an option for a shorter swim. The route is on: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/285173273

The plan is to meet at the finish around 10am. There is a Nene Valley Trust car park at the end of Splash Lane (great name), or actually at the end of the bumpy (but drivable) track that starts where Splash Lane turns right. Splash Lane is the one-but-last driveable road on the right (southward) as you drive out of Castor toward Peterborough; it's got a signpost to the recreation / sports ground of something like that.

From the car park, it's about 5 minutes walk on a good footpath to a truly idyllic spot on the river where we can get out. We will try to get to Nene Valley Railway station by 10.15 to start (although we might be a bit later as it's a much longer drive than 1.9m!).

I know there are a lot of events on, so it would be good to know if anyone is planning to join me. Please confirm!

Jaap

Fri, 13th Sep 2013 - 4:23 p.m.

Hi Jaap,
See you at 10am
S.

Fri, 13th Sep 2013 - 4:28 p.m.

Hi Jaap,

I'm going to try and join you tomorrow as well. Don't wait up for me if I'm late, I'll just swim upstream and bump into you all.

John

Thu, 19th Sep 2013 - 9:02 a.m.

Is anybody swimming tonight at Wadenhoe. Up and down from the Village Hall at 6:00pm?

Thu, 19th Sep 2013 - 5:15 p.m.

Not me Steve. Still in Coventry.

Fri, 20th Sep 2013 - 9:59 p.m.

Is anyone doing a nene swim this Saturday.
S.

Sat, 21st Sep 2013 - 10:59 a.m.

Hi Sean, sorry for not being in touch. I wasn't able to make it this week. If the weather stays nice as predicted we may be able to squeeze another one in next week. I will confirm if I'm going in the course of the week. Who knows, we may be able to do Nene Swims up to the start of the Frostbite runs this year!

For those that weren't there last week: we did another lovely stretch from Nene Valley Railway station down to near Castor, getting out halfway for the lock at Water Newton. It felt quite chilly but that's because we've been spoilt by the warm summer! Good company from swans and cormorants once again.

Sat, 21st Sep 2013 - 3:18 p.m.

Hi jaap, lets trail blaze the nene as long as we can,or at least until it gets to cold or until we meet up with a giant turdle.

Tue, 24th Sep 2013 - 8:07 p.m.

Hi,
I'd like to swim on Saturday morning, but it will have to be early, say 8am. Anyone up for that?
Jaap

Wed, 25th Sep 2013 - 8:27 a.m.

My clocks don't start until 7:00am but I'd like to do a stretch east of Wansford. Not sure that I want to be in for an hour though. It's getting colder, and with nothing to train for now; a shorter section or somewhere where we can get in and out at the same place would be good.

Wed, 25th Sep 2013 - 9:31 a.m.

Ok for Saturday Jaap.
S.

Thu, 26th Sep 2013 - 7:22 p.m.

Hi all,
Looks like we have a few people crazy enough to come along (5 in total as far as I know), which is great! We measured the temperature yesterday and it had gone up to 16 degrees (from 14 last weekend), so the warm weather is doing its job. But Steve's point is valid, also as it allows us to start a bit later. So I'm suggesting we start at Nene Valley Railway, swim upstream as long as we want and then downstream again. I suggest we aim to get into the water at 9am. I will send an email to club members as well.
Jaap

Thu, 3rd Oct 2013 - 8:31 a.m.

Hi,

The weather is still holding up and I measured this morning that the river temperature is still 14 degrees, so I'd like to do another swim on Saturday morning, if anyone else is keen.

I suggest an up & down swim again, to give flexibility, and to start from Water Newton, along the A1. We swam past there a few weeks ago and the lock is a good place to get in and out. Meet at 10am.

As you come off the A1, turn into Mill Lane (which is a dead end) and drive on until you see the river ahead. There is some car parking space there along a track to the right.

Please confirm if you plan to come.

Jaap

Fri, 4th Oct 2013 - 8:44 a.m.

Sorry Jaap, while I would love one more dip I have instructions for Saturday morning.

Fri, 4th Oct 2013 - 2:42 p.m.

Yes, I've noticed that it's more difficult to rally people for the Saturday. Unless it's the water temperature....

No takers thus far so as it currently stands, no swimming tomorrow and the Pactrac Nene Swim season has ended.

Bring on Frostbite!

Fri, 4th Oct 2013 - 9:20 p.m.

Hi Jaap,
Thanks for the swim organisation this year which I have enjoyed joining in on the last few legs.
Looking forward to the start of next years marathon.
S

Sat, 5th Oct 2013 - 1:55 p.m.

Sorry you had no takers for the swim this weekend Jaap. I've been overtaken by work for the last few weeks and so been unable to join you all. Thank you for your inspiration and organisation of the swims this summer. I and I'm sure many other have really enjoyed Nene swimming. Pool swimming is a sorry substitute.

John

Thu, 21st Nov 2013 - 1:41 p.m.

Some of you may know that there is a "good" open-water swimming scene locally. If anybody wishes to swim throughout the winter, then this email below may be a good starting point:

"I (Sean Sullivan) am swimming in the Nene at Stibbington on Saturday morning (23rd Nov), followed by some grub in the Turntable cafe which is in the station across the road. I suggest meeting at 11 am.
Come off the A1 where you see the Stibington turn-off and follow the signs to the Nene Valley Railway. Park and meet opposite the station, postcode PE8 6LR."

Thu, 22nd May 2014 - 4:23 p.m.

I presume swimming is off tonight with this storm. Shame, I'll be there next week.